Looks like October it is!

Guest ali

Hiya Everyone,

I hope you are all doing well. I am seriously looking at buying a ticket for the 20th of October to make the move. As Hotels are very expensive (even though I can get 50% discount if they have unoccupied rooms) and short term rentals aren't any better in terms of price I am looking at several hostels to spend about 10 days in them. http://www.hostelworld.com has been a wonderful guide. I have shortlisted three hostels two of which are centrally located and one is located in Glenelg. As I don't know where centrelink offices are located and where I should go to register a TFN, insurance (Medicare does not apply to 475 visa) and the fact that I won't be driving as my drivers license (if I pass the final test) will be posted to my new address in Australia is my best bet.

It would be wonderful if you guys could take the time to give me tips and bits of the things I need to do when I arrive. I'm not worried nor anxious. I'm fairly happy and looking forward to making Adelaide 'home'. :smile: Meeting you guys will be a bonus and I'd love to attend meetups or meet for coffee or a pint. In the mean time take good care of each other and enjoy the nice breeze of Spring.:smile:

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

Wow Ali - only a month to go! That's awesome news. City or Glenelg would be fine - there is a tram direct from Glenelg into the city for anything you need to do there, plus it's hopefully going to be a beautiful summer so Glenelg is beachside... Enjoy the next few weeks, and see you here soon

Hi Ali,

Just to let you know you may be apply for your TFN online when you get here - here's the link -

http://www.ato.gov.au/pathway.aspx?sid=42&ms=youth&pc=001/002/001

Not sure how it works on a 475 but may be worth a look!

Enjoy all the planning! Not long to go now.

Sinead

Thank you Sinead. I will take a look at it and try to do this task online. :smile:

Thank you for taking the time and replying to my post.:smile:

Ali

Wow Ali - only a month to go! That's awesome news. City or Glenelg would be fine - there is a tram direct from Glenelg into the city for anything you need to do there, plus it's hopefully going to be a beautiful summer so Glenelg is beachside... Enjoy the next few weeks, and see you here soon

I'm so excited Diane:jiggy: I can't sit still. But need to get my act together and start thinking about saying goodbyes and packing my suitcase and backpack. I will be trading one hot summer for another and this will be the longest summer and spring of my life (almost 13 months!!!):biglaugh:

I guess we will be meeting each other very soon. Take good care and enjoy the nice Spring weather over there.:smile:

Ali

About bloody time mate!!!

Good to come here in the spring:biggrin:

It can be a bit off putting to some when they arrive at the start of our winter.

Bring any reference you have, both personal and work!

Good luck on finding somewhere to stay, it is difficult if you are on your own.

Glenelg will be a good place to stay as said.

Finding paid employment will be top of the list I'd say!!!!!

See you soon!!

About bloody time mate!!!

Good to come here in the spring:biggrin:

It can be a bit off putting to some when they arrive at the start of our winter.

Bring any reference you have, both personal and work!

Good luck on finding somewhere to stay, it is difficult if you are on your own.

Glenelg will be a good place to stay as said.

Finding paid employment will be top of the list I'd say!!!!!

See you soon!!

I know. Its taken me long enough and I thought that I'd be there by July or August! :biglaugh: Staying at a hostel will sort of be a new experience for me but I don't mind it as long as the place is clean. Yes you are right. Paid employment should be on top of the agenda. I received three interview invitations and all from the same company last week asking me if I was available for the 17th (September) and I had to tell them that I wasn't there yet. Funny how they didn't spot my current location on the resume. It was casual work which I don't mind doing until my feet are on the ground. Still thinking about the magazine and the saffron projects. Will be preparing a powerpoint presentation for the saffron and my vision on a new food and beverage company and send it to the UK to see if I can manage to persuade one or two angel investors to invest in the business.

Very soon we will be having a pleasant chat over a pint of beer and can't wait mate.:smile:

Take good care,:smile:

Ali

Guest USA soon just SA

We have been following your posts since you started, and are really excited that you are arriving at about the same time as us. We are also leaving on Oct 20th, and get there on the 22nd. I am looking forward to meeting you, and perhaps comparing our mutual experiences/frustrations regarding our arrivals in a new culture. I also look forward to my children getting to know someone of your heritage without the background of whispers and bigotry that is too common in our present community.

Guest ladyarkles

Hi Ali,

what great news!

Glenelg is a fab place to start off.

Sea, sand, sunshine and a "lively" atmosphere.

Everything is in walking distance; shops, tram, banks, post office, beach, restaurants and pubs.

Drop me a PM when you get here and we can meet for a coffee, if you would like to do so.

We have been in Glenelg for nearly a year, it has been a great place to start our Adelaide adventure.

We'll be moving on soon, but not until November - so we will be here when you arrive.

One tip: if you are a hay-fever sufferer or asthmatic; make sure you have your medication in good supply. Allergy season here is excruciating!

Apparently it's going to be a bad spring for pollen. Yuk!

Now, what are you waiting for?

Start packing your bags!!

:wink:

~ Rachel

Hey Ali,

I too have been (quietly) following your posts!

Wow, one month to go and you'll be here, that's great mate.

I live (with Yogi 64) 70 kms north of Adelaide, so I could bore you to tears with how good country life is...but I won't!

I reckon Glenelg will be a fantastic base for you to start with. We spend quite a bit of time there, just not practical to live there.

Like Diane said in an above post, you can go direct to the city by tram. So sort out all the official stuff then head back to the beach at the end of the day...bliss.

Mike and I would love to meet up for a coffee when you arrive, so give us - and the forum - a shout when you get here.

Arlene

p.s. Mike will have a beer, I'm always designated driver!

Hi Ali,

You will be arriving at a good time of the year. If you do stay in hostels, stay in a private room, not in a communal dormitory. You need some privacy and somewhere safe to store all your valuables and paperwork. I heard many horror stories when I was backpacking of people getting things stolen from their backpacks (often when they were asleep) when staying in dorms.

Good Luck!

We have been following your posts since you started, and are really excited that you are arriving at about the same time as us. We are also leaving on Oct 20th, and get there on the 22nd. I am looking forward to meeting you, and perhaps comparing our mutual experiences/frustrations regarding our arrivals in a new culture. I also look forward to my children getting to know someone of your heritage without the background of whispers and bigotry that is too common in our present community.

Hi, :smile:

I'm very happy for you guys and I'm sure that you all will be fine. Have a safe journey home (Adelaide).:smile: Sometimes when you move it takes a few weeks for the new place to grow on you and if you have friends there it will help a lot. I would love to meet with you guys and I'm sure that I have some fun historical stories to tell your children.:smile: We will be all right guys, no quick fixes with me here, but the fact is that I've been living in so many different cultures that the number one solution I've found for newly arriving expats to a country is to:

-observe with curiosity (it makes the move so much more interesting)

-to walk around town and learn the ways of the people and whats happening

-to enjoy being an expat-soon-to-be-an-oz

I believe that the positive aspect of a family moving is that they have each other and they can talk about their new life and exchange stories.

We are blessed as we got the chance to migrate. Back in the old days families and individuals like me had to take on weeks and sometimes months to reach their destination and start all over.

Give my regards to the family and I'll PM you my number once I get one in Adelaide so we can meet.:smile:

Ali

Hi Ali,

what great news!

Glenelg is a fab place to start off.

Sea, sand, sunshine and a "lively" atmosphere.

Everything is in walking distance; shops, tram, banks, post office, beach, restaurants and pubs.

Drop me a PM when you get here and we can meet for a coffee, if you would like to do so.

We have been in Glenelg for nearly a year, it has been a great place to start our Adelaide adventure.

We'll be moving on soon, but not until November - so we will be here when you arrive.

One tip: if you are a hay-fever sufferer or asthmatic; make sure you have your medication in good supply. Allergy season here is excruciating!

Apparently it's going to be a bad spring for pollen. Yuk!

Now, what are you waiting for?

Start packing your bags!!

:wink:

~ Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Its always good to hear from you.:smile:I'm am more than happy to meet with you guys. Even if I don't stay the first few days in Glenelg I will still make it to the beach and enjoy a nice meet with you guys. Hay-fever. I'm usually OK that time of the year but great advice I will definitely be checking to see what I can bring with me in case it decides to beat me around and on arrival none-the-less. I need to look my best when I go for interviews (if I get any after arrival):wink:

I will drop you my OZ number once I get one so we can be in contact.

Take good care of yourself and be well.:smile:

Ali

Hey Ali,

I too have been (quietly) following your posts!

Wow, one month to go and you'll be here, that's great mate.

I live (with Yogi 64) 70 kms north of Adelaide, so I could bore you to tears with how good country life is...but I won't!

I reckon Glenelg will be a fantastic base for you to start with. We spend quite a bit of time there, just not practical to live there.

Like Diane said in an above post, you can go direct to the city by tram. So sort out all the official stuff then head back to the beach at the end of the day...bliss.

Mike and I would love to meet up for a coffee when you arrive, so give us - and the forum - a shout when you get here.

Arlene

p.s. Mike will have a beer, I'm always designated driver!

Hiya Arlene,

You made it sound so much better, taking care of official business then heading back to the beach.:wink: It formed a vision my mind that will stick and its very nice.:smile: I'll be having beer as well. This has been quite a ride with the whole process and meeting you guys online. I can't wait to get there and meet you all in person. A very very old Australian friend of mine is trying to introduce me to his buddy who has a vineyard. He keeps telling me that I will love it out there. And by looking at the pictures I know I will. You will never bore me talking about the country life. Enjoy every minute of it Arlene.:smile:

I will drop my OZ number once I get one so we can arrange meeting each other.:smile:

Take good care of yourself and say hello to Mike for me.:smile:

Ali

Hi Ali,

You will be arriving at a good time of the year. If you do stay in hostels, stay in a private room, not in a communal dormitory. You need some privacy and somewhere safe to store all your valuables and paperwork. I heard many horror stories when I was backpacking of people getting things stolen from their backpacks (often when they were asleep) when staying in dorms.

Good Luck!

Hi Anne,

Good advice there. I've been trying to get quotes from the hostels for one person private-single occupancy but they charge single rooms double. Any idea how this can be averted? The three hostels I've chosen are amongst the most reputable ones in Adelaide but being realistic they don't monitor who stays and who does not. But they have stated that they also have secure lockers. But then I can only fit a backpack in a locker and I won't be able to put my suitcase in a safe place. Now that is a dilemma.:biglaugh:

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience with me. I hope we meet soon.:smile:

Take good care Anne and enjoy the lovely weather out there.:smile:

Ali