Rental application

Guest bubbe2005

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

From our experience, most companies seem to do their own ones - same basic info on most of them but just tweaked by each agency. Some of them have the forms available to download from their websites.

Guest bubbe2005

thanks.

and how do you compete with other applicants wanting to rent the same property you want to rent.

I want to be prepared as possible.

I know you have to fill in the application form BEFORE going to the viewing, and i know we have to have the BOND And a months rent in advanced.

I hate competition.

thanks.

and how do you compete with other applicants wanting to rent the same property you want to rent.

I want to be prepared as possible.

I know you have to fill in the application form BEFORE going to the viewing, and i know we have to have the BOND And a months rent in advanced.

I hate competition.

I think it actually depends on where you are planning on renting. My OH went to look at several properties before I left the UK but he never completed an application form before viewing a property. The house we ended up renting is really nice and in good condition but he was the only person there when he viewed it. He was able to come away, talk to me about it and then complete the application form and submit it to the agent. Check out rental properties on realestate.com.au for the areas you are thinking of. How log properties stay advertised on there will give you an idea of how competative things are in that area. Some rental properties where we are were on there for weeks and even months. The nicer ones were on there for just a couple of weeks.

Edited to add our bond was six weeks rent and we only had to pay two weeks rent in advance not a months.

Each rental company has there own forms and criteria.

My sons are busy looking for aproperty at the moment. Each company scores id points at different rates as well.To get the 100 points of id there arepasports, Medicare cards, bank cards, birth certifiicates, drivers licences etc etc and thety all count towards the total...but different companies score different items at different point rates!

References from previous landlords are sometimes important...I take calls all the time from agents asking for references for my short term rental guests.

After a couple of viewings with the same agent you develop a rapport...that allows you to complete a standard application so that if you view something you like you already have your application ready and can jump ahead of the competition.

Many people do offer quite a substantial rental in advance if they find a property that they really want but it's not standard (just a sweetener!)

Tamara

We offered 6 months rent in advance to clinch the deal on a property we really wanted. It seemed to do the trick. They can't legally demand it after accepting you as a tenant ( and we never gave it to them!) but it definitely swung it in our favour! We also got a printout of a healthy Australian bank statement which showed we could afford it! They didn't demand too much ID either as they recognised we didn't have too much! Good luck!

A lot will depend on the time of year you are applying- for example now is a quiet time to rent, January is a busy time etc.

We arrived in January and rented before we even had jobs- we got to the viewing first, about 3 other families there too, we loitered and waited until everyone else had looked around and taken a form and gone. We chatted to the agent and completed the form there and then- we also had character references from the UK- (also confirming our jobs which they said was important!) and all our id which we showed her and then later emailed to her, we used our holiday rental landlady as a reference and another newly arrived friend- we found out we had the house the following morning :) I think if you make everything as easy and quick as possible for the agent it helps- ie all documents together, ID, references from UK, references in Oz with phone numbers- make sure you tell agent the referee is awaiting there call- push them to move quickly!

Our second house (we're in now) we looked on here and happened to see someone breaking lease in the area we wanted, so after viewing it we worked wth them and agent so we got the place before it was even advertised! :)

As far as the bond goes there is a standard- I think its 4 weeks rent if property is under $250 per week and 6 weeks is property is $250 to $400. Both properties we paid bond and 2 weeks up front.

Good luck

Good luck-