Looking for reccie rental near Port Noarlunga

guspjmh

Hi all,

We have finally conceded that it's unlikely we are going to sell the house before we need to validate Visas, so have decided to book a reccie. My mum is going to accompany me, the wife and two little ones (3 & 1).

Does anyone know of a decent rental in Port Noarlunga that could fit us around $150 per night or less? The dates are 23/3/13 - 8/4/13.

Thanks!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest8040

Aw Gus gutted for you :( we've shared the same journey and were going for good 17th April, just renting house out if we have to. Lots of links to short term accommodation on here but they're booking up fast as we found. Good luck!

Try Takeabreak.com.au or stayz.com.au for holiday lets. I'm not sure how many places are around port noarlunga so you may need to widen your search area but we have found holiday accomodation on both of these in the past. Quite a few places will give discounts for longer stays and these are not always advertised on the site so it's worth emailing the owner for a quote.

Hi Angus

Sorry, Ive only just seen your message to me - have replied. Another good website is www.adelaideshorttermrentals.com.au theres a section where you just put your details in and goes out to all of them I think, so you will get responses from those who are available for the dates you wanted.

Hope this helps

Sarahx

Guest Guest6899

i think tamaradownunder has a home in port noarlunga, we stayed in summerhill rentals when we first arrived in reynella which is not far away, check their websites.

We couldn't sell our UK home so now rent it out.

Edited by Guest6899

You have to start somewhere and it's only a reccie after all.

The amount of miles that we covered on our reccie was ridiculous, but you have to make sure you are making the right decision for you and your family.

There are a lot of things to consider, where you are going to work, cost of renting and buying if you you like the area and surrounding areas, schooling if it's a factor, cost of living as every area has their own pricing system when it comes to groceries .... we live in Port Noarlunga and don't shop in the area for the big stuff, we go elsewhere, for want of a better word, to the cheaper areas, as it helps to keep shopping costs down.

You'll find your feet and know for yourselves where you want to call home. A reccie and then renting is always a great way to start.

The very best of luck to you.

because south is best....:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

In what way? It has nice beaches, but then so do lots of the western suburbs. There are shops, but there are shops everywhere. What do the southern suburbs have (apart from thousands of poms and cheap housing) that you can't get elsewhere?

If you are working down south, or even somewhere like Flinders then being down south would be a great place to be. However for a reccie being based down south makes it hard to really see all parts of Adelaide and be sure that you really do want to be down south. There are some really great places all around Adelaide, south, west, north and east, as well as further out in the hills. Being based so far south would make it hard to really get a feel for anywhere apart from down south. Great if you like the southern suburbs and can find work there. Not so great if you find it's not for you or you end up with a job further north.

Guest Guest6899
In what way? It has nice beaches, but then so do lots of the western suburbs. There are shops, but there are shops everywhere. What do the southern suburbs have (apart from thousands of poms and cheap housing) that you can't get elsewhere?

If you are working down south, or even somewhere like Flinders then being down south would be a great place to be. However for a reccie being based down south makes it hard to really see all parts of Adelaide and be sure that you really do want to be down south. There are some really great places all around Adelaide, south, west, north and east, as well as further out in the hills. Being based so far south would make it hard to really get a feel for anywhere apart from down south. Great if you like the southern suburbs and can find work there. Not so great if you find it's not for you or you end up with a job further north.

Supposed to be a joke,.. obviously not allowed too, nowadays.. I totally disagree with your comments about being "so far down south" where do you think we are Mount Gambia!!!! on my days off, we travel north, east, west and further south. We went to the Barossa for the day all these areas are easy to travel to on trips out.. you have to base yourself somewhere... at the end of the day, people do there research at home and decided where they want to live during their recci. The thread was looking for a place near Port Noarlunga not where shall i stay for my recci, that obviously is an individual choice.

Edited by Guest6899

I think it's hard for people in the UK to appreciate distances between southern suburbs and northern suburbs, or eastern and western here in Adelaide. Looking at a map doesn't tell the whole story, and doesn't take into account speed limits, traffic lights, and places where the traffic is notoriously bad at certain times of the day. I would always advise someone coming over for a reccie to base themselves as centrally as possible until they know for sure where they will be working. Have heard of a lot of employers who disregard people's CVs for jobs if they think the person would have too far a commute - based on their own (local) experiences - rather than assuming someone wouldn't apply for a particular job if the journey was too far for them personally!

On the other hand, a lot of the furnished properties - particularly those owned by people on this site - seem to be towards the southern end, perhaps because buliding land and property there is cheaper and more plentiful. There are a few that are more centrally located, but unless someone is familiar with Adelaide and it's layout, as we who have been here a while are, the distances might not look so great on a map.

Guest Shanners
I think it's hard for people in the UK to appreciate distances between southern suburbs and northern suburbs, or eastern and western here in Adelaide. Looking at a map doesn't tell the whole story, and doesn't take into account speed limits, traffic lights, and places where the traffic is notoriously bad at certain times of the day. I would always advise someone coming over for a reccie to base themselves as centrally as possible until they know for sure where they will be working. Have heard of a lot of employers who disregard people's CVs for jobs if they think the person would have too far a commute - based on their own (local) experiences - rather than assuming someone wouldn't apply for a particular job if the journey was too far for them personally!

On the other hand, a lot of the furnished properties - particularly those owned by people on this site - seem to be towards the southern end, perhaps because buliding land and property there is cheaper and more plentiful. There are a few that are more centrally located, but unless someone is familiar with Adelaide and it's layout, as we who have been here a while are, the distances might not look so great on a map.

Diane,

Yet more scaremongering from you in relation to the "southern suburbs".

Your comment about "alot of employers disregarding people's CVs.." is way over the top and may be taken to heart by newcomers to this site. As a moderator you should be more mindful of your comments!!

Having commuted from the "south" (35 minutes on express train) for 5 years and been involved in recruitment, as well as finding jobs across the city I have never come across that attitude from employers.

Cheer

Chris

Must say that the traffic is nowhere near as bad as some people on here made out or the driving.

Traffic wise I would compare it to Blackpool on a busy summer weekend at certain times of the day and I found the driving much more relaxing in Oz.

As for distances driving from a Southern Suburb such as Aldinga to Adelaide took about the same time it would take me to get to Southport just as busy in parts but much more relaxing.

One last point, some on here state that the Aussie drivers are very poor and drive very close to you but in 2,500 kilometres I was only cut up twice!

We also visited a friend in Munno Parra West twice which was a 2 hour drive but it didn't feel like! Yes distances are greater but the traffic is nowhere near as bad as in the UK.

I am staying in Port Noarlunga because that is the area we would like to live in when we make the move, so we want to try it out for size! We have done a bit of research (and know other people who live there), and the area seems perfect for us with two very young kids.

My job involves working from home, and lots of driving anyway, so a 40 minute drive into central Adelaide is unlikely to put off potential employers, or me!

Thanks for the feedback anyway.

I don’t “get” this forum sometimes. Surely when people ask a question then everyone should have a right to have and express their point of view. People have the right to live wherever they like, but we all have our own opinions based on our own experiences and I think we should be allowed to express them without negative connotations. I personally agree with Diane’s comments about employers and although it might not relate to the OP it might do to others who read this thread. There are a lot of people who “lurk” and don’t necessarily join in a conversation but still lap up all the information that we have to share. I’ve had employers knock me back because I’ve applied for a job at Port Adelaide and I’ve lived in the city. I’ve also been on interview panels where panel members have privately commented on where a person lives because of the distance involved. I’ve known more than one or two colleagues who have left their jobs (in the city) to work closer to their homes because they’d rather not spend 45 minutes to 60 minutes on the bus or train. It’s not pleasant being on the bus/train sometimes, people coughing and spluttering, all those @#$% mobile phones going off….you feel like you are in a freaking office, people talking about their private business at the top of their voices and having to battle through crowds to get through the door to get out. Not my idea of what I want to do at the end of the day. I personally find it stressfull getting in to work in the morning, even living closer to the city because of the “Trams” and “Buses” being so full, you feel like you are in a sardine can and can’t wait to get some fresh air. But at least I don’t have to put up with it for long. I’ve lived in the south and yes it is a nice area to live in but for me, it is a very valid point that living closer to the city and to my place of work is a good thing. If that helps people to make a decision to live somewhere based on what I’ve said and thinking it might relate to how they might feel also, then I think I have helped that person – as I myself would like to be helped and guided if I want to know something.

Guest Guest75

Sorry to the OP but I too do not get "It" with the North South ???

Aussies kill themselves laughing at this when I tell them.

I do know for a fact that most of the people from the south say stuff in fun - as above. I immediately took the comment in the correct context - but it's hard not to tease those who feel defensive or even snobbish regarding areas to the north.

The "South" offers the Dream to many............ living by the sea, the chance to own your own home, space.

Great chance to "escape" the city!

I have recently been house hunting and did venture through the North and North eastern and Eastern suburbs.

I was shocked at how property values went up according to postcodes!! I just don't get "Half the house for twice the money"????

The way comments were worded further up this thread and in many others may lead some to think it's poor people and the dregs that "have" to live in the south!!:mad:

I am not happy to say the least about the comments and by whom they were said!!

Fer gawd's sake just leave it alone!! Change the record!

I'm lucky enough to have a healthy budget, we have lived in Onkaparinga Hills for 12 years on the very edge of the "dreaded Hackham" - Loved living here, never had issues or worries. Ended up with more bang for my buck. Those who have seen the Onk Hills house will know:wink:

Having just sold our house we are now moving into an area that may surprise many but unless you know exactly where it is you won't appreciate it.:wink:

People can live where they want and should have no fear of comments on here!!!

Edited by snifter
Removed moderator comment

I'd just like to point out at this stage that I don't think there is anything wrong with living in the south. There are some lovely suburbs there that would be lovely places to live providing you either work locally, don't mind the commute to the city (I couldn't do it) or don't end up with a job further north somewhere like Mawson Lakes (where my OH works). I just think if you are coming over for a reccie then it makes more sense to base yourself somewhere central so you can more easily travel around ALL the different parts of Adelaide and really be sure that where you decide to live really is the right place for you. And if you have familiarised yourself with more of the place then end up with a job at the complete other end of the area to where you originally thought you would live then you are better placed to make a decisioin about where to live instead. For example, if I decided that Golden Grove was my ideal suburb then landed a job in Moana it would not be practicle to commute everyday. If I had only looked around the Northern suburbs I would then be a bit lost about where to live. If I had a good look around all the suburbs I would be better placed to decide on an alternative base.

Incidentally we used to live in a place called Thurcroft near Rotherham in the UK years ago. We felt very isolated and like we where miles from anywhere and had to move somewhere closer to town. If you know the area (check it out on Google maps) you will know why I find the southern suburbs a bit far out. It has nothing to do with distance - Thurcroft is less than a 10 minute drive from where we lived for the following 8 years. It's more about how far away it feels.

Diane,

Yet more scaremongering from you in relation to the "southern suburbs".

Your comment about "alot of employers disregarding people's CVs.." is way over the top and may be taken to heart by newcomers to this site. As a moderator you should be more mindful of your comments!!

Having commuted from the "south" (35 minutes on express train) for 5 years and been involved in recruitment, as well as finding jobs across the city I have never come across that attitude from employers.

Cheer

Chris

Chris, I have no idea on North/South Adelaide and to be honest I don't care, but the commuting distance does make a difference to a lot of employers based on the states I have lived in Queensland and Victoria so I wouldn't think Adelaide employers will be any different.

From a mod POV I think people need to remember a moderator is entitled to their own personal opinion and to be able to post as a member of this forum without the mod aspect being used as a stick to beat them with (for want of a better expression) by way of argument or disparagment of what they have posted. Same as we would hope for anyone else on this forum. Diane was giving her own viewpoint, she didn't do so from a mod POV.

To quote a little something from the rules...

We don't walk in their shoes - If someone is offering to share their experiences please do not belittle them, make personal comments or judgements about their situation. It is not helpful to anyone and only detracts from the discussion at hand.

And also

1. Out of respect for the Original Poster (OP), please try to keep postings on-topic and do not steer the thread in another direction without good reason. If required please start a new topic within a relevant forum. If posters do not adhere to these guidelines then they may find that their post is edited or deleted.

Now, not to put to fine a point on it, the topic was actually about the OP finding a rental in Noarlunga. And apparently they have found one. So, discuss/debate the OP topic, not a poster/member and digress off track. If you want to discuss about living in the north or south feel free to start a new thread on the matter.

Thanks.

Edited by snifter

Now, not to put to fine a point on it, the topic was actually about the OP finding a rental in Noarlunga. And apparently they have found one. So, discuss/debate the OP topic, not a poster/member and digress off track. If you want to discuss about living in the north or south feel free to start a new thread on the matter.

Thanks.

Too true Snifter the thread was about rental in Pt noarlunga. As in true PIA style people jump in without reading. Horses for courses , some people want to live near the beach and lifestyle some dont, its all old hat, and your guaranteed the same old will pitch in, been goin on before PIA. I actually think the North/ South thing was invented by CWC. (Diane on this site) Everyone enjoy what they are doing and get on with it. For what its worth , if youve never been to Adelaide I would suggest more central to look the whole of Adelaide, BUT, if you wanna bit of beachy holiday then south is probably better. IMO lol!!

As said before ...everyone comes from different backgrounds with different views and different budgets, I just think its a shame that a few people cant accept that other people live and like different things to them!!!. Hey there is a life to live get on with it!!:biggrin:

Edited by smit

Looks like I really started a rather heated debate here!!!

Just to clarify WHY I chose the South (and Port Noarlunga in particular), it's because in the UK I live very close to the center of Cardiff - about a 5-10 minute drive and although we love it, I want somewhere in Australia where my kids can play outside a lot and to be near the sea in a pleasant climate. The beach life is one of the biggest draws for us.

With two small kids we've done the city life and now fancy something bit more chilled - albeit with everything we need on our doorstep. I will certainly explore other areas of Adelaide, but I am 95% sure we want to live in the southern (or western) suburbs near a beach.