For those who have broken their lease...

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

Out of curiosity,

1. How long did you have left on your lease when you broke it and

2. How long did you end up paying the rent on it for?

Thanks

Hi

We broke our lease after 10 months, they managed to find new tenants at the first open and we ended up paying about 2 weeks rent.

Tracey

Out of curiosity,

1. How long did you have left on your lease when you broke it and

2. How long did you end up paying the rent on it for?

Thanks

hi,

We broke our lease, 4 months into a 12 month lease

we had to pay 2 weeks rent as a break lease fee

roughly $130 in advertising fees

we gave notice to our agent on a thursday and by the monday they had a new tenant, we moved out 7 days later.

Very quick and very painless.

Hope that helps

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

Thanks for that. Something's come along that's caught our eye but it would mean breaking lease with 5 months to go and I'm worried we'd end up paying for the whole 5 months! :shocked:

You still have to be careful, we broke our lease (not realising at the time, thinking we were on a month to month .... long story which I won't go into) we called our agent out of courtesy to let them know that we were looking around for a new rental after 3.5 years and then we had seen one which we were going after. We gave 8 weeks notice of our moving into the new place on the 1st of July only to find out the day before we were told you do realise you are still under contract till the end of October! ...... that whole time they did nothing!! We ended up paying out a lot of money ... be sure you know what you are going to be paying out before committing to anything and if you can afford to be paying double rent till the end of your contract.

Our agent wasn't in any hurry as she knew that the rent would get paid regardless and pushed on the houses that no-one was in .... sorry to be a sour puss on it ... but it's reality..... and experience.

Yeah I would be careful- we broke lease last month, gave the agent a good few weeks notice (not sure why as they didnt actually do anything!) but be prepared to pay 2 lots of rent for a while- we paid for our old house for 4 weeks (as tenants were found & then pulled out before signing lease!) I'v put on another thread the breaking lease fee and formula so have a look if you haven't already. Our lease wasnt up until January so we were worried about paying a lot out too.

As for the agents- they're not bothered as rent is still being paid- I'm a right pain in the arse so I started ringing and emailing the agent every 2 days then said I'd ring every day for an update... they soon got rid of the property (& me!)

Personally for us it was the right move even if we paid out a lot, but I won't be doing it again!

Just make sure you have $$$ in the bank & "motivate" (annoy) the agent to get rid of your property- ask them to put it on real estate asap & I would put it on gumtree if I was you.

Goodluck x