Woodcroft, Hallett Cove, Old Reynella & Happy Valley!!

Guest Lulujim

Guest Lulujim

Hi all,

Firstly I should introduce myself properly. I'm Alexis, my hubby's called James, we have a 21 month old called Maggie - and another due in about 7 weeks (aaarrgghh!) We are applying for our 475 Visa to SA and if it were here already would be off like a shot! Unfortunately we're at the beginning of the process, so have quite a few months to wait :sad:

We have been members of PIA since the beginning of the year, and have found this site to be SO helpful. We have learnt more through reading posts on here than any other means of research put together! A special big thanks to the ex-pats in Adelaide who are spending their time replying to questions from us Adelaide-wannabees. It's great to hear your first-hand experiences and advice.

We are looking into areas to buy, and will rent for a while when we arrive to suss out suburbs etc.. I was just looking on real estate and domain and have noticed found the suburbs like Woodcroft, Old Reynella, Happy Valley etc.. are generally a bit cheaper than Hallett Cove. Is this right and is it because they are further inland? How quick and easy is it to commute to the CBD from these suburbs (as this is most likely where my OH will be working)?

My other main criteria is an area where there is an abundance of toddler groups, music groups, tumble tots etc etc as will have 2 small children and will need to get out the house?? :arghh:

Any advice/opinions would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thank you very much, Alexis x

Hi Alexis,

Woodcroft, Old Reynella, Happy Valley are inland, about 10 to 15 mins from the coast. They are all lovely, family areas and you won't go wrong buying there. Commuting to CBD from there is around 40 mins, maybe longer in rush hour, but only by 10 mins or so.

Trains to South Adelaide have just one line. This runs parallel to the Coast, so you might have to leave your car at the station. In the south, trains stop at Brighton, Sea cliff, Marino, Hallett Cove, O'Sullivans Beach, Chrisities Beach and Noarlunga. Trains from HC take 35 mins into CBD.

There are playgroups around in every suburb but I'll leave someone else to talk about them as my Thomas is now 5 and I'm a little out of it!

Judi :wubclub:

Guest Lulujim

Thanks so much for that - not as far from the coast or CBD as I'd thought. Great news! Can't wait to get there now and start our search. Will hope to hear more from other mums about playgroups etc too!

Hi Alexis

This is my first post on the forum although like you have been reading them for months now and gaining lots of information for our (fingers crossed) move to Adelaide.

I had to reply as we are in the same boat as you, I am due in 8weeks!! and we have a 14month old so looking for the same kind of thing.

We had kind of set our heart on Hallet Cove but am just about to look at the other places you mentioned to see if they are cheaper.

We have our skills passed and have just sent off the SA sponsorship application so still a long way to go for us, it will be 2009 before we are organised enough to get there. You will probably be settled in by then and be able to tell us all about the nurseries, playgroups etc etc.....

Off to search Happy Valley now, hope everything goes well for you.

Denise, Nathan, Jake and Bump

Guest wobbles

Hi Alexis,

We've just bought in Woodcroft, and one of the reasons was because it was a bit cheaper than other suburbs. I've found that local and ex-pats who have been here for years are suprised at that, as Woodcroft has always been considered a bit posher, I think because there are few private schools there. I think what is happening is that Adelaidians are coming to realise that it is ok to commute for more than half an hour, and consequently the far southern suburbs are getting more popular.

Anyway, Woodcroft is nice. It's also got the cool distinction of having a Hendrix Street, named after Jimi himself.

Colin(34), Sharon(35), Robert (8), Owen (6)

Guest Nick11
Hi Alexis,

We've just bought in Woodcroft, and one of the reasons was because it was a bit cheaper than other suburbs. I've found that local and ex-pats who have been here for years are suprised at that, as Woodcroft has always been considered a bit posher, I think because there are few private schools there. I think what is happening is that Adelaidians are coming to realise that it is ok to commute for more than half an hour, and consequently the far southern suburbs are getting more popular.

Anyway, Woodcroft is nice. It's also got the cool distinction of having a Hendrix Street, named after Jimi himself.

And Jagger street after Mick and loads more like that . Street named after singers!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
And Jagger street after Mick and loads more like that . Street named after singers!
That is better than making them up, which I am sure they do in Hallett Cove!:biglaugh:

Guest Lulujim

Hi Denise,

Wow - thought we were brave with a 21 month old - you are super brave with a 14 month old!! Are you applying for a SIR 475 Visa too?

We are keen to get out there asap, and luckily don't have a property to sell (and my OH is in a job he doesn't like too!) so hope to go when we get our visa.

Hallett Cove sounds great doesn't it? But think (I may be wrong) but the prices are going up there quite a bit.. and to get the house of our dreams we might have to go a bit further inland. Had an interesting post after yours from a family in Woodfield singing it's praises!

Good to know, I'm looking forward to exploring when we get there, but am keen to get as many opinions and personal experiences on the areas as possible.

It does sound like South of Adelaide is the preferred choice for families. Have looked into Mawson Lakes too as this sounds nice, but perhaps it's more for young professional couples? I'm not sure.

It would be great to keep in touch, especially as we're dus at the same time!

Good luck with the process, alexis x

Hi Alexis

This is my first post on the forum although like you have been reading them for months now and gaining lots of information for our (fingers crossed) move to Adelaide.

I had to reply as we are in the same boat as you, I am due in 8weeks!! and we have a 14month old so looking for the same kind of thing.

We had kind of set our heart on Hallet Cove but am just about to look at the other places you mentioned to see if they are cheaper.

We have our skills passed and have just sent off the SA sponsorship application so still a long way to go for us, it will be 2009 before we are organised enough to get there. You will probably be settled in by then and be able to tell us all about the nurseries, playgroups etc etc.....

Off to search Happy Valley now, hope everything goes well for you.

Denise, Nathan, Jake and Bump

Guest Lulujim

Hi! Thanks so much for getting back about Woodcroft. It looks a lovely area, and I've heard of a playgroup there too? Am surprised at the property value-for-money there compared to other areas South of Adelaide. It looks like we might be able to afford more of our Aussie Dream house there which would be great!

Please could you tell me what the area is like for amenities and schools etc? As a stay at home mum, it's great having things to do with the children, and walkable shops (even post office and newsagent!) would be the icing on the cake!

It would be great to hear your opinions on the area.

I hope you don't mind me asking all these questions??

The clincher is the street names - very bohemian!! x x

Hi Alexis,