choosing house befor leaving uk?

Guest Niedel

Guest Niedel

Hi

Can someone please give me some advice as to whether you can choose which house you would like to rent from the real.estate.com.au site before you leave the uk, Can you give a deposit from the uk? myself and my family are heading for either the unley district or blackwood in Oct 08'

I have tried to e-mail some of the agents from the site but no joy as yet, last thing we want to do is get off the plane and then start looking!

Kind regards

Naomi:v_SPIN:

Guest soggy
Hi

Can someone please give me some advice as to whether you can choose which house you would like to rent from the real.estate.com.au site before you leave the uk, Can you give a deposit from the uk? myself and my family are heading for either the unley district or blackwood in Oct 08'

I have tried to e-mail some of the agents from the site but no joy as yet, last thing we want to do is get off the plane and then start looking!

Kind regards

Naomi:v_SPIN:

Hi,

I contacted several agents about renting but none were willing to rent a property until I had inspected it. You could try the on arrival accomodation provided by the SA gov have a look at this site http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/services_meetgreet.php but you don't get to choose where you go,

you could advertise in the accomodation wanted section of www.gumtree.com.au (adelaide section) or there are a number of PIA members who have property to rent, have a look at the bottom of the PIA home page at the rentals in oz section.

Simon:):)

Guest mossmac

We were wondering exactly the same thing as, like you, we would prefer to arrange somewhere to live prior to us leaving the UK (especially because we have an eighteen month old toddler and a three month old baby). We have spent this morning writing e mails to various property agents and hopefully we will get some replies on Monday.

Sarah

Guest Niedel

Hi Sarah,

thanks for the reply,

I just took it for granted due to the large number of families that move to Oz that we could put a depostit down on a property before we left, panicking slightly now! If you find out anything please let me know and I will like-wise. Me and my partner have discussed living it slightly rough in an unfurnished house if we really like the look of it from here,until our container arrives, obviously once there we might not find it the best but at least we would have a concrete start.

When are you planning on moving?

Kind regards

naomi

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I think your best bet is to short term rent, there are a few on here that rent for a month at a time, check at the botom of signatures. The houses are fully furnished and it will give you a chance to check out areas before you sign up that yr long rental. Not only that some of the rentals are dire! They might look good in the pictures but you cant see stained carpets or smell them!

sarah

I experienced an offer of a furnished rental via email, luckily for me it was liveable (just) & it gave us 3 months to look around properly for a property.

Definitely consider short term, especially ones that are located to good transport links, shops & surrounding suburbs that you maybe interested in.

We knew we wanted to buy quickly, before arriving, short term suited us best.

Good luck

Angela

Guest Niedel

Quick update on the rented situation, were are now looking into the OAA the SA government offer if we can get it Sent e-mail off tonight, will keep you posted

Kind regards

naomi

Guest mOZzy

i am a little concerned about that one too ... obviously ;)

did you have a look at the 'sticky' somwhere on this forum?

there are some links to rentals!

or as sarah suggested some people have rentals set up fully furnished - so ideal for the first few months to actually go and look for something more long term.

from what i've heard you really should inspect the house first because the pictures can be ... well, rather misleading :goofy:

or if everything else fails we'll stay in a caravan for a few weeks!

Guest Niedel

It might work out better for us in the long run if we can get an OAA, the price is very resonable between $140 - $260 which includes gas/lec & water and with my husband being a self employed joiner we can leave it longer before we ship the container out this end as we wont be in such a hurry for our furniture as the properties are furnished, so this is the plan so far but it has changed several times over the months already!

Thanks for the replies

Nie

Guest sarahsmartiepants
i am a little concerned about that one too ... obviously ;)

did you have a look at the 'sticky' somwhere on this forum?

there are some links to rentals!

or as sarah suggested some people have rentals set up fully furnished - so ideal for the first few months to actually go and look for something more long term.

from what i've heard you really should inspect the house first because the pictures can be ... well, rather misleading :goofy:

or if everything else fails we'll stay in a caravan for a few weeks!

Check the caravan prices they can be around the same as one of those fully furnished spacious houses!

sarah

Guest mossmac
Hi Sarah,

thanks for the reply,

I just took it for granted due to the large number of families that move to Oz that we could put a depostit down on a property before we left, panicking slightly now! If you find out anything please let me know and I will like-wise. Me and my partner have discussed living it slightly rough in an unfurnished house if we really like the look of it from here,until our container arrives, obviously once there we might not find it the best but at least we would have a concrete start.

When are you planning on moving?

Kind regards

naomi

Hi Naomi,

We have contacted some estate agents and from their e mail replies we get the impression it IS possible to arrange a rented property from this end as long as you can provide a reference from a previous landlord, if possible, (the last time we rented was four years ago) as well as having some sort of proof of finances and being willing to put down a deposit as well as a couple of months rent in advance.

We are in two minds at the moment as to whether or not we apply for OAA housing or go for some unfurnished rented accommodation. We have not yet got our visa so are not able to apply for OAA housing yet. If we go for rented accommodation, we are prepared to rough it for a while, like yourselves, until our container arrives!

We are hoping to fly out to Oz beginning to the middle of May. Literally as soon as we get our visa and the sale of our house is complete, we will be leaving. When do you plan to move?

Sarah xx

Guest Niedel

Hi Sarah,

Were flying out in Oct, I've not yet had a relpy from the OAA but from what i can gather you need to give your visa and flight details, once I get the reply i'll let you know what they ask, but again its a lottery who gets it or not. Also I think you need to have the skilled worker visa weve got the 136 but think that has changed now, can be quite mind boggling, 6 months isn't that far away and like yourselves we have a 20month old boy and a 11 year old girl, so you need to have the assurance you've got a roof over your head when you land, if it was just me and hubby we would rough it until we saw something suitable. Cant wait though, weve talked about doing this for so long, still have to pinch myself!

What part of are you looking at settling in?

Bye for now

Naomi

Guest mossmac

Hi Naomi,

We are probably going to stay for up to 2 months in Adelaide to start with until John, my husband, has registered as a teacher, which can take roughly 6 weeks. He isn't allowed to teach at all until he has got his teachers registration for South Australia. All the courses etc he needs to register are in Adelaide, so just as well to be there in the beginning.

Then we are really hoping to go and settle in Mount Gambier, South Australia's second largest settlement after Adelaide. It looks like a lovely town and accommodation is a lot cheaper to rent than in Adelaide. Hopefully John will be able to get a teaching job there.

Regards,

Sarah x

Guest soggy
Hi Sarah,

Were flying out in Oct, I've not yet had a relpy from the OAA but from what i can gather you need to give your visa and flight details, once I get the reply i'll let you know what they ask, but again its a lottery who gets it or not. Also I think you need to have the skilled worker visa

Naomi

Hi,

your right aboutneeding to have your flights booked, the visa has to be an independent one to get oaa, but anyone can book the meet and greet I think.

Simon:D