Agent not doing final inspection !!!

star123

Howdy :-)

We moved out of our rental on Sunday 10th February and handed the keys back to the agent.

We have scrubbed and cleaned the house till it is sparkling - grass cut - all weeds removed - the usual full on cleaning mode, we have left the house cleaner than what we found it.

The Agent said he was doing the Final inspection on Monday 11th February. We called him on Tuesday late afternoon to find out the situ, he said and his words were..." I briefly looked over the house and it was dirty......." I thought I was going to have a corony.

When we asked why he had only briefly looked at the house his reply was " i have been busy".....

We asked then when he is going to the full on Final Inspection, he said well I am in Melbourne at the moment so will not be today ha ha !!! He said I will try do it Thursday afternoon or Friday Morning...

So Friday afternoon came and we have heard nothing, so we called him at 5pm....HE HAS NOT DONE THE INSPECTION !!

Again, we ask why and he said he has been busy and he is with clients at the moment and will call us back.......we waited and waited and obviously he has not called back.

Tomorrow it will be a week since our lease expired, no inspection, no communication from him - Nothing - we have a hefty bond waiting to come back and we are somewhat confused as to why this agent is being like this.... is this the norm?? We have rented before and have never had this problem !!

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated...

Many thanks :-)

Does he have a manager? I would be going over his head if I was you. There are some dodgy agents out there, which is why the good ones stand out so much. Your one sounds like he is not doing his job properly for the owners of the property either - surely they want to get new tenants in there asap and his delaying tactics are costing them money as well as you

Does he have a manager? I would be going over his head if I was you. There are some dodgy agents out there, which is why the good ones stand out so much. Your one sounds like he is not doing his job properly for the owners of the property either - surely they want to get new tenants in there asap and his delaying tactics are costing them money as well as you

The man we are dealing with is the Owner of the Company !! Which makes it even more confusing !! The house is empty as they have increased the rent and the price is now ridiculous for the house, we think the guy is p***** off because he has not re-let it !! We actually moved out of the property after xmas and moved into our new rental and have been paying double rent for 7 weeks, we have been going back to the old house daily to water grass and clean clean clean !! He has entered the property numerous times without our permission and dirtied the floors etc, he even had tradesmen round, again without our permision (lease was still in our name till 10th Feb) and the trademan left rubbish, dirt all over the garden and bags of debris behind !!

Its now been a week since we handed keys back, a week of no watering grass, a week of dust and dirt flying around, the house is opposite a building site and the dirt and dust that is carried across to the house is crazy !! The longer he leaves the final inspection the dustier and dirtier the house will become surely?? Will he based his inspection on the date he finally carries out the inspection?? we need our bond back asap as money rather tight (i hit a car last week and no insurance....) and this is just adding to the stress big time....just do not understand someone that owns their own real estate agency can act like this.....he does not hold the bond...so cannot understand why he would be using delaying tactics like this.....

Aargh! Sounds un-be-lievable! Poor you.

I don't have any experience but did you take photos of the beautiful way you obviously left the property? If you didn't, could you get in one more time, give the place a re-shine, then take photos, perhaps using that day's paper (or better still, raid the recycling and find one from the day you left!) to prove when the photos were taken.

It would seem to me, that if you have some sort of evidence, plus any emails where the agent basically admits he hasn't done a proper and timely inspection you can just relax and let the house do whatever. After all, your responsibility for the property is surely over once the lease has finished.

But I don't know and I do live in Happy Land, where people treat one another fairly so....!

Good luck!

LC

I had to contact the tenancy advice people today because we are having problems with our agent delaying on giving our bond back, subsequently find out 2 weeks later there is a problem they want to claim for... :(

Advice given to me was to apply for the bond myself. If they dispute it they have 10 working days to do so. If they do nothing, you get the money. If they dispute it, it goes to conciliation and mediation and then tribunal. (There is no cost to the tribunal, I checked). So there's a bond form you can start with to kick off the process.

We are still considering whether we are going to wait a bit longer or just put the form straight in. If I was in your position I would be putting the form straight in.

• 2 years later...

Name and shame these awful companies. Or please PM me so we don't use them in the future.

It's hard enough renting, paying more than most people's morgages. Having your home invaded by strangers inspecting your cooker and toilet every three months. Then having to beg to get back your deposit.

Name and shame these awful companies. Or please PM me so we don't use them in the future.

It's hard enough renting, paying more than most people's morgages. Having your home invaded by strangers inspecting your cooker and toilet every three months. Then having to beg to get back your deposit.

Hey candt, we are not able to have public naming and shaming on the open forum for legal reasons (I know, but it can and does happen). People are welcome to use the PM system if they want to chat about stuff :)

This thread is two years old anyway lol.

I actually did name and shame an agent I had on another forum. The very next day I had a call from them threatening me with legal action for slander. I did have to point out it wasn't slander, firstly because it was written so liable instead, and also because it was all true! The guy (the managing director of the company) tried to tell me it wasn't true. I told him I had all my emails to prove it and feel free to take me to court. It did finally get one of my issues sorted out with them though.

This thread is two years old anyway lol.

I actually did name and shame an agent I had on another forum. The very next day I had a call from them threatening me with legal action for slander. I did have to point out it wasn't slander, firstly because it was written so liable instead, and also because it was all true! The guy (the managing director of the company) tried to tell me it wasn't true. I told him I had all my emails to prove it and feel free to take me to court. It did finally get one of my issues sorted out with them though.

Good point Blossom, it is 2 years old I never noticed lol. I'm not very good with this forum stuff hee hee

Edited by candt

Hey,

dnt forget that these people who invade your home are working for someone who has spent alot of money making that house rentable so you can call it home, we just got shat on by a tennant and have spent hundreds if not thousands fixing the house back up. so seeing this post makes me realise why some real estate agents struggle to find the right people.

HG

We never had any issue in inspections,we treated the house like our own.