Making the move - how do I secure my first rental from the UK

Guest Safari Shah

Guest Safari Shah

:confused:Hi all,

I have just registered on this and discovered there is so much useful info here ! My family and I (wife, 2 kids 4&5) are thinking of making the move from the UK to Adelaide in September this year. I wanted to get some advice of how people have gone about getting their very first rental property in Adelaide when still in the UK. Without physically seeing a property, have you opted for a short term rental or simply taken a risk with a longer term rental from something that looks good on a web site? Ideally trying to avoid having to live in a hotel or having to change rental home after the first few weeks of arrival.

Also can anyone recommend any good contacts that can help find a good family home whilst still in the UK? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. We are not sure on areas but like Hallett Cove, Unley, Parkside, Burnside as potential areas following a visit last year.

Finally I would also appreciate thoughts on whether to sell our house in the UK now or rent it out for 1-2 years? What have you done? What worked, what did not.

Thanks !

Most people opt for a short term rental for at least a couple of weeks, to about 4 weeks and then go house hunting for a longer term rental once on the ground in Adelaide.

Most agents won't deal with you if you are in the UK as tbh they have plenty of people on the ground in Adelaide to work with and view and let properties.

Any house can look decent in pics. But plenty of people will tell you the reality is often very different.

Personally I'd not try to rent long term before you land. You could a) end up in an area you don't like or doesn't work for you in terms of commute, schools and so on b) have neighbours from hell or be in a street that isn't so great (don't rely on google maps as the pics can be a few years old) and c) seeing a house in person is very different to pics. You might find the layout awful in person or the kitchen design not a decent one or some such. Practical stuff you can only see in person.

Also the areas you mention, there is a fair bit of price difference in some of those and also they are a fair distance apart.

I'd say take a short term furnished let for a few weeks when you arrive. Check out the areas you like and go see houses in person to make sure you are not signing away on a year lease that is a shocker.

With regard to your house in the UK, totally your call. Can you change your mortgage to a buy to let and find a decent letting agent to manage it for you etc? And get insurance for it all? Do you really want to? Or would you rather wait and see if it sells. Some people view keeping a property a bit of a cop out on migrating in that you have that safety net and maybe might not work through things as you might if you didn't have a house to go back to. Others say keep for the same reasons so you do have that fall back if you don't like it and want to go home. I'm of the sell it and be done camp but that is just me. I like to make a clean break and go jump into a new country with both feet and not have those kind of ties left behind me.

We have booked a four week furnished rental as a start. We didn't want to tie into anything until we saw the house in person. As Snifter said pictures can only show you half the picture. You may have a wonderful view from one side of the house however you may well be overlooking sewerage works on the other sides. I wouldn't rent or buy a house if I didn't visit it here in the UK so I wouldn't when in Oz.

We had the same decision to make on selling our home as we contemplated the whole renting. We came to the conclusion that we had made the decison to move so we go will everything and sell our home. The only problem with renting is we were worried about what if something went wrong with the house or tenants and we weren't there to sort it out, it would be costly and difficult trying to sort out from oz.

We sold the house, shipped our belongings and have rented a furnished home for 4 weeks, and we fly out to oz in 3 weeks.

Good luck with it all!

Guest vikkiann

We also booked a 4 week holiday rental. We then looked at loads of properties to rent, some of them were total dumps compared to the pictures, it took us 2 weeks to secure a 12 month lease.

In terms of areas it depends on where you are going to be working?

We sold our house but just because I didn't want anything to fall back on but loads of people I know still rent there's out, I just didn't want the hassle of it

Guest Safari Shah

Thanks all for your advice on this thread. It is greatly appreciated. Will keep you posted on our progress. Bye for now from a freezing London !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vikkiann
Hi Vikkiann

Were hopefully moving in september this year and would like to know which holiday rental you have booked please

Kath

I've sent you a pm

• 2 weeks later...