Commuting to the CBD - quick question

beebul

Hello all, we're going to view some rentals in Brighton and Christies Beach this weekend and wondered how easy it is to commute from there to the CBD?

I know Brighton is much closer but we prefer the houses in Christies. Google maps and the metro website seem to detail the commute as rather difficult and time consuming but I've picked up on previous posts here that Christies and surrounding suburbs is reasonably easy to commute to the CBD from......do people tend to combine driving and buses/trains, ie do they drive first to a specific place then hop on public transport, rather than sticking to public transport from the start?

Would you commute on the metro from Christies Beach to the CBD?

Much appreciated,

Penny

I commute from Brighton. Used to take 20 mins on the train but takes 40 at the moment on the bus so I often ride in as can do it in 35 mins and its good exercise.

Christies will be an extra 10 mins on the train and 20 mins on the bus.

Brighton is about as far out as I'd commute to the CBD but everyone is different and some people like to spend their spare time on public transport.

Different people have a different idea of what makes an easy commute, although with the train line out of action at the moment I doubt commuting from Christies would be particularly easy for anyone at the moment with having to drive or catch a bus. Personally I wouldn't want to commute any further than I do at the moment and I'm just 9kms from the CBD and on a (semi) reliable bus route that runs frequently in the mornings and after work. Once the train line has been upgraded and is back in action it will be much easier to get from Christies.

Hi,

I commute Monday to Friday from Port Noarlunga to the CBD. At the moment I drive as the trainline is closed until september for electrification. It takes me an hour from my door to my office and I am lucky to have a cheap parking pass for the car park at the back of my Hospital. It's not a difficult drive (compared to Edinburgh!) and it will be quicker once the expressway returns to sanity. The train is good, there's an express from Noarlunga, takes 40 mins, and should again be quicker once electrified, but currently not running at all which is a necessary pain, it's also affecting how often we 'pop' into the city at weekends as cant bear to drive it after doing it all week! I am lucky that I can choose my working hours so i tend to try to arrive in the CBD by 0700 to beat the traffic and leave before 1630.

I do love living down south but sometimes wish I had fallen for another, closer suburb first or didn't have such a good job in the CBD! And my diamond shoes are too tight :)

​gill x

Everyone, you have been SO helpful. Definitely food for thought, and explains why a train journey didn't come up as an option on the metro website, despite there being a station!

So come September, trains should be up & running again....if all goes to plan!

Very grateful for your comments :-)

P.S. been here 2 1/2 weeks now and loving every moment. Intend to post a proper update when I have more to say than 'another lovely day spent on largs bay beach drinking wine'!

Everyone, you have been SO helpful. Definitely food for thought, and explains why a train journey didn't come up as an option on the metro website, despite there being a station!

So come September, trains should be up & running again....if all goes to plan!

Very grateful for your comments :-)

P.S. been here 2 1/2 weeks now and loving every moment. Intend to post a proper update when I have more to say than 'another lovely day spent on largs bay beach drinking wine'!

I was in Moana initially when we arrived and I got the train up to the CBD each day for work - it was okay, probably an hour each way by the time I included the walking bit but that's my limit. We've moved much closer to the CBD now and the commute is about 30 mins max which is a joy. The downside is there is a huge difference in property prices so we may eventually move South again if \ when we decide to buy. I love the CBD, it's an awesome place to work, but I wish my job was out of the city sometimes so we weren't so tied to the higher property price areas.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Hove > Brighton > Seacliff > Marino are all very nice suburbs on the beach with excellent train commutes (express trains from Brighton are about 23mins straight into the city when the trains are running again)

from there you kind of have Hallet Cove then Christies and Noarlunga (and onto Seaford come September)

Property generally gets cheaper from Hallet Cove heading south.

There is plenty of free parking at most stations, the major ones like Brighton have lots of parking.

When the trains were running I could leave the house at 7:30am and be at my desk by 8am, which meant I could leave at 4:30pm and be having dinner/beer on the beach by 5pm. Magic :-)

Guest sianburton

My only comment would be to consider the length of your commute when the summer comes. No one wants to be spending any more time than necessary travelling home when you could be out enjoy the sunshine with your family. Just food for thought.