Mawson Lakes, good or bad?!

Guest shellbell1979

Guest shellbell1979

Hi. Myself and my family are moving to Adelaide next month. We've been looking online at different suburbs and quite liked the look if Mawson Lakes. I am going to be working at Calvary North Adelaide so thought the commute would be fine.

Is Mawson Lakes a good area?

Cheers

I used to live in Mawson Lakes and loved it. We're looking at selling up and i would love to move back but working down south is a horrible commute.

​It's very modern and manicured, some people like that and some don't. I just loved the fact everything was on your doorstep, pub, restaurants, cafe's, shops, sports facilities, walking / bike riding tracks, dog park. I really think it has a very nice feel to it, and it seems so many people are out and about in the community.

I know I don't currently live in one of the best suburbs, but when we walk our dogs, most times we don't see another soul, it's very quiet, and really lacks that community feel.

Best thing though is when you get here, have 3 or 4 areas in mind and have a look at them all, even go to a few house opens and see what the houses are like as well as the area, you may change your mind or it may cement what you want.

'Good or bad' is a hard question as everyone looks for different things in where to live. I personally wouldn't like to live in Mawson Lakes. That doesn't mean it's a bad suburb as such, just that my personal taste isn't for ultra-manicured, modern housing estates. To be blunt, Mawson Lakes is a bit disneyland to me. But that's just my personal taste - I much prefer areas that have cropped up with lots of different housing styles and I personally like older properties.

It would however, be very convenient I imagine as it's on the train line to the city, not too far from Semaphore beach and has supermarkets, playgrounds for kids etc all 'on site.'

'Good or bad' is a hard question as everyone looks for different things in where to live. I personally wouldn't like to live in Mawson Lakes. That doesn't mean it's a bad suburb as such, just that my personal taste isn't for ultra-manicured, modern housing estates. To be blunt, Mawson Lakes is a bit disneyland to me. But that's just my personal taste - I much prefer areas that have cropped up with lots of different housing styles and I personally like older properties.

It would however, be very convenient I imagine as it's on the train line to the city, not too far from Semaphore beach and has supermarkets, playgrounds for kids etc all 'on site.'

You've saved me writing a response to the OP as this would be my take on Mawson Lakes as well, especially the 'Disneyland' reference.

​NWM

We like it whenever we visit. The drawback is the small blocks (a few are larger but very expensive). Whilst properties are all relatively new, there's a massive range in types and therefore something to suit most tastes. It's got great transport links (easy to CBD, Barossa etc and although a bit of a drive to a beach it's an easy run), as long as work isn't in southern suburbs.

Jim

I work in Mawson Lakes (Uni) and its got its good points. for me personally i don't like the way the housing developments have squeezed everything in (like most new ones) and the style of houses make it look alot like lego (or laygo!!! ;-) ) land. But that's my personal opinion. on the flip side there are some VERY nice houses across from my office overlooking the lake but i could afford to live in one of them......

There is some major build projects going on currently to increase the shopping area, i am told its to increase woolies and more shops, the restaurants about are good, especially the Italian at the top end, i love their fresh pasta and do get lots from there.

if you like new then you wont go wrong in ML.

Guest chesterbening

I'm living in Mawson Lake. This place is very safe and very new. Woolworth is here and here has train station, and I like here