Accomodation available

Guest Rustyspoon

Guest Rustyspoon

Where has the accommodation available forum category gone from the sidebar on the main page?

It used to be easy to go directly to this page but now I need to click on a link to get into the category, how are people getting in to it now and can the quick link be returned?

Guest Rustyspoon
Hi take a look at the new Forum Rules .

1. We no longer accept free advertising of rental properties on the forum, please use a signature.

Understandable in the grand scheme of not handing out free advertising but disappointing, it was a very handy resource for people that needed to move back and were looking to not lose their bond or arrivals or movers who were looking to find accommodation to get settled.

With signatures you don't get the info you need without investigating lots of possibly irrelevant posts/topics and maybe being lucky to see one that interests you whereas in a forum location you can quickly scan to see if any areas or notices were relevant. Also some users (myself included) may have signatures not displaying.

As a new arrival it may be hard to know where to start looking for housing and information and knowledge that someone could offer would sometimes be invaluable. IMO I thought it great that someone could look in one place to see a number of options and ask Q's about an available property without real estate agent pressures.

Guest Rustyspoon
Please check Tamara's web site, we rented one of her houses and it was beyond our expectations. It would be a great start if you are planning to settle in south.

Thanks for the thoughts, I am fully settled at this stage and used the Hyde Park unit in Mitchell St (it was very good) from Margariatas place as a base when I arrived and am now living in a city fringe suburb and enjoying it.

I just used the accom. available forum as a place to look for possible moves and thought it was a good resource for others.

Understandable in the grand scheme of not handing out free advertising but disappointing, it was a very handy resource for people that needed to move back and were looking to not lose their bond or arrivals or movers who were looking to find accommodation to get settled.

We still accept ads for lease breaks. These now go in the Renting and Real Estate forum.

With signatures you don't get the info you need without investigating lots of possibly irrelevant posts/topics and maybe being lucky to see one that interests you whereas in a forum location you can quickly scan to see if any areas or notices were relevant. Also some users (myself included) may have signatures not displaying.

Signatures have long been used on the forum as a way of advertising. That admin have now gone with this solely for businesses etc was after various matters were raised by members of this forum. Please read this thread http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/37478-forum-rule-changes.html And Rach has posted above also explaining options. If people choose to turn sigs off that is their choice.

As a new arrival it may be hard to know where to start looking for housing and information and knowledge that someone could offer would sometimes be invaluable. IMO I thought it great that someone could look in one place to see a number of options and ask Q's about an available property without real estate agent pressures.

People can still ask information, advice and so on, that was always posted in the Renting and Real Estate area of the forum anyway and is still ongoing. And people can create a sig to let others know their rental is coming up available and to PM or some such. Which as many who advertised rentals usually asked people to PM them for more info anyways doesn't seem so big a jump to me. You can fit a fair bit of info in 2 lines of sig also.

I appreciate this might not be to everyones liking but given the circumstances admin made a decision and have gone with it. Lets give it a bit of time for everyone to settle into the changes and see how it goes perhaps? Most every forum I know hates change of any kind and sees it as an awful or terrible thing or complains loudly about the wallpaper being different or some such but once everyone has had time to adjust to things they usually find things settle down and aren't so bad after all.

Guest Rustyspoon

Snifter, thanks for taking the time to explain. While i'm not in agreement I can understand the rationale behind this change. My analogy for it would be if you are looking for a house you shouldn't need to read the entire homeowner pull out section when you could just go straight to the houses for sale/rent section.

As you say people don't necessarily like change (although people who move over here have embraced it more than others still @ home!) and I'm sure I can live with it - I am usually more a lurker than a poster and just thought it was odd and hadn't seen the discussion behind the change.

Guest NewInOz

Do not, please, take this as any sort of criticism, Rustyspoon, but I genuinely found it a little amusing when you put "(although people who move over here have embraced it more than others still @ home!)" Others still at home? Where's home? My mother moved to England from Southern Ireland at the age of 16 with three of her big sisters, who all became nurses, and Ireland always remained "home" when she spoke of it even when she was past 70 years old.

Guest Rustyspoon
Do not, please, take this as any sort of criticism, Rustyspoon, but I genuinely found it a little amusing when you put "(although people who move over here have embraced it more than others still @ home!)" Others still at home? Where's home? My mother moved to England from Southern Ireland at the age of 16 with three of her big sisters, who all became nurses, and Ireland always remained "home" when she spoke of it even when she was past 70 years old.

Lol good spot, I'm probably going to be the same too, it's a hard habit to shake but to be fair I'm only here less than a year.....I'm Irish, born in UK to Irish parents & with Welsh and Irish (North & South) ancestry, probably where the term comes from.

Guest Guest75
I agree not very helpful!

unless you want to run a business and do so!

Lets make it harder for new arrivals!

now if you want to even rent your own house you can't!!

i hope those who banged the, it's not fair drum' are satisfied that they will get some more custom

Difficult call.

I do know there have been "members" who just join to advertise, put nothing back into this community online.