Elizabeth vale

Guest jo jo

Guest jo jo

Hi

:)I ve been offered a job at the Lyell McEwin Hospital in Elizabeth vale. I am moving with my family of two children 7 and 10 and partner.Would love to hear from anyone with any information on the area ie best suburbs and schools etc.

Any info I would be very grateful for

Don't move to Elizabeth. Schools aren't that great, housing is mainly housing trust, with chronic unemployment and the problems that come along with that.

Other suburbs that are not far away, which are fine are Golden Grove, Gawler, Salisbury Heights, Wynn Vale, in fact anywhere but Elizabeth and Smithfield Plains will be okay. You just have to find an area you like.

Congratulations on your job.

Rachel

Guest jo jo

Thanks Rachel

We had a feeling re Elizabeth ,with looking at the real estate in the area. We had looked at Gawler .Do you know if it is far from Elizabeth re commuting for work ? Thanks very much for the info. I ll keep you posted

Jo

Guest salisbury massive

Hi Jo

Gawler is very nice, its about 15 to 20 minutes drive north of Lyell McEwin. Its got a country town feel about the place with a long High Street that you can drive through with shops either side. The schools in Gawler are nice and there is a private school Trinity College that has an excellent reputation.

If you are renting to start off with I would have a look at Andrews Farm, its in between Gawler and the hospital.

I found these rentals on the web which are about average price.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=403191972&f=0&p=10&t=ren&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=14545805&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1207796851

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=403172189&f=0&p=10&t=ren&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=14545805&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1207796851

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=403143332&f=0&p=10&t=ren&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=14545805&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1207796851

Now the state schools are not exceptional but there is a private school called St Colomba which is pretty good. Its also situated in Andrews Farm, the nearest state school is either Smithfield or Burton i think.

http://www.stcolumba.com.au/

Rachel has covered all the nice areas locally, I would also recommend having a look at Craigmore, Blakeview and if you fancy being in the country a bit, One Tree Hill, all within a 10 - 20 minute drive.

Jo

Guest jo jo

Hi Jo

Many Thanks for your information really informative. Do you know on average what they charge per term for private education? I presume it is similar to UK.The rentals were really nice and have given us some food for thought.

I had my medical yesterday ,just need to get my house sold and fingers crossed we hope to be there by the end of the year

Many thanks .Ill be in touch

JO

Guest Julesmc5

We're in Andrews Farm, which is not too bad. St. Columba school has a long waiting list, but our kids are at Craigmore Christian School for high school and our son goes to One Tree Hill, about another 5 minutes away. Don't use the state schools no matter what!

Guest jo jo

Hi

What is wrong with state schools? Is it best to go private? We have decided to go for PR instead of the skilled worker visa as we feel it gives us more freedom and better re education of our children .It means longer in the UK ,but I think it will be worth it .Anyone with any advice?

I just hope the hospital will keep my post till I m able to come

Jo

Guest salisbury massive

Jo

There is nothing wrong with state schools, just the ones in those suburbs. The suburbs mentioned are predominately poorer areas with long term unemployment. Without being harsh its rough and so generally are the people. Thoug saying that, we've got friends who live on Elizabeth and they are diamonds. Couldn't find nicer people. You find families stay on the estates through generations and there a families who are 3th generation unemployed. Its got lots of social housing, so if you've got a sprawling council estate anywhere near you with an average reputation, then you've got Elizabeth.

Private school fees vary of course but I would say you could pay roughly $600 a term from Reception to year 5 and then it starts going up. I've got my eldest at Kings Baptist Grammar School, it cost $1100 a term. My middle one goes to a state primary and thats $200 a year. Big difference. My littlest is starting school next year. I have her name down for Kings $600 a term and also the state school next door which is $300 for the year. Keeping my options open at the moment.

Until you get here its very difficult to know what to do, there are always people who will give you different opinions but I wouldn't live there myself so why tell you its OK.

Jo

There are a lot of good state schools here. In every school, public or private you will come up against ratbags that you wish were somewhere else, but life is like that and kids need to learn to deal with all types. You just need to find a school where they are the minority. What suits your child and what you are looking for in terms of a school is a personal thing. A lot of children here go to state primaries and then transfer to private for high schools but there are also a large number that don't. I would advise against ANY schools in the Elizabeth area or Smithfield Plains but if you don't have a choice then kids do make it to Uni / successful lives from these schools as the family plays a big part in their outlook also.

Private schools here can seem reasonably priced if you do have 2 incomes. There is a wide choice, ranging from approx $5000 - $17000 a year. Some schools do have waiting lists. Most schools are church based but you do not have to be of that religion to attend. Some require you to be active in your own religion though.

I can give you more info later.

rachel

Guest Julesmc5

There is nothing wrong with state schools, just the ones in those suburbs. The suburbs mentioned are predominately poorer areas with long term unemployment. Without being harsh its rough and so generally are the people.

Sorry, that's what I meant to say. One Tree Hill is state and it is lovely!