Home Builders Adelaide

paulm

We're using Sekisui House (used to be AV Jennings) who have been okay(ish) so far. We also spoke to Donato Homes who are a small family run organisation. Not sure if they have any offices but the guys that run the business live near us in Rostrevor. We were pretty impressed with them but Sekisui gave us slightly more flexibility. We also considered Serenity Homes, but they are more at the luxury end of the market and would have been a bit more than we wanted to pay - the size of house we are building really doesn't call for top end fittings.

I don't know what your bad experience is but I would suggest talking to several builders, find out what they do and don't include in the standard package, what extra costs you are likely to incur and ask to see there options for the things you need to choose (brick colours, kitchens, door handles etc.). All the builders we spoke to were very upfront with us about the fact that our footings would cost a lot more than what they allow for in the standard house price and Donato and Sekisui were happy to use UPVc double glazing even though it wasn't something they had ever used before. Serenity homes use it in there show homes so it wasn't an issue with them.

We've had our land since October and are still trying to get a set of plans approved by council. This is not normal and is partly due to the time we took deciding on a builder and a house design so don't worry too much, but do be aware that council regulations can be quite strict and a bit odd so it might be worth getting hold of your local councils planning regulations if possible. Each council has there own and each will have different things you can and can't do. Good luck with it all.

Forgot to say - when you speak to builders make sure you let them know you are also speaking to other builders. Things are slow at the moment and they may offer additional things as incentives to get you to sign up with them. Make sure you get everything in writing though, via email would be easiest, so you have something to come back with if they go back on it later.

Hi

I am a roofer and have had good and bad experiences with builders. If you want to pm me I can give you the details as don't think I am allowed to give phone numbers out on here?! :err: There is one builder here that you should not even touch with anybody elses barge pole that goes under a couple of names.

cheers

Jason

Guest Trish Roberts
Hi

I am a roofer and have had good and bad experiences with builders. If you want to pm me I can give you the details as don't think I am allowed to give phone numbers out on here?! :err: There is one builder here that you should not even touch with anybody elses barge pole that goes under a couple of names.

cheers

Jason

Hiya Jason, we're looking at building, can i find out who the builder is to avoid pleeeeez??

cheers :)