Rent a flat/house in Adelaide - what are the rules?

Guest Pawel

Guest Pawel

Hi

I'd like to ask about rules what have to be fulfilled to rent a flat or a house:

- do i need to have TFN number ?

- do i need to have a job?

- is there a chance to sign rental agreement before arrival to Adelaide?

I'm going to arrive in September/October for at least 18 months (skilled visa 476) so i'd like to be sure that some flat will be waiting for me :)

Of course I can proof bank statements, pay deposit etc. before lodgement.

I'll look forward for any answers

Regards

Pawel

Guest Guest75
Hi

I'd like to ask about rules what have to be fulfilled to rent a flat or a house:

- do i need to have TFN number ?

- do i need to have a job?

- is there a chance to sign rental agreement before arrival to Adelaide?

I'm going to arrive in September/October for at least 18 months (skilled visa 476) so i'd like to be sure that some flat will be waiting for me :)

Of course I can proof bank statements, pay deposit etc. before lodgement.

I'll look forward for any answers

Regards

Pawel

Hi Pawel

No TFN needed.

I'd reckon you would have to have a source on income.

Not much chance of signing up before you arrive normally - most agents want to see you and you need to see the property you are renting for yourself. There have been some real horror stories of unseen properties.

A good agent will do a check on you.

You will need references, proof of ID ( passport ,Aus driving license).

They may wish to see proof of funds.

Guest Adelaide_bound

What Tyke said :)

You can get pretty cheap short term accomodation easily if its just you - gumtree, air b'nb and just the youth hostels as well (they have private rooms) whilst you are looking - you don't need a big short term accom place for just one person, just somewhere to sleep for the night really :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pawel

Thanks for answers. As I've thought it'll be hard to find accommodation before arrival. But I'll be trying anyway. Short term seems like a good option.

I'm going to come with my girlfriend so I'd rather to rent some small flat.

I've got one more question - about references - do agents need references from AU or could it be contacts to landlords from UK or Poland?

I'll look forward for any answers ;)

Regards

Pawel

Pawel I've worked with hundreds of agents and to be honest all they care about is if you can make the payment. You don't have to be working but you need to show a healthy bank balance. Re references they aren't going to be interested in calling the UK so feel free to put them down but they are unlikely to bother. I get called up often for references for pio members and they always get the property so if you have an Aussie reference put it down but no worries if not.