Port Noarlunga area

Guest taffs

Guest taffs

Hi all, as stated in my previous post, flights are now booked and we are landing on the 2nd January 2014. After quite a bit of research i think we have decided on living in Port Noarlunga, would anyone be kind enough to give us any advice on the area good or bad ?, All advice will be much appreciated. Please take into account when giving the advice we have two boys, one 6 the other 4.

Many thanks

Jason

Guest Cornish Pasties

I reckon you and your boys will love it! Especially arriving in the height of summer! We live a few miles away at Hallett Cove but spent most of our weekends down Port Noarlunga - the beach is lovely for the little ones and there are some nice places to eat in the town. Just further along the coast is Christies Beach which is another lovely spot. Think you chose well :-) Good luck with the move

Guest taffs
I reckon you and your boys will love it! Especially arriving in the height of summer! We live a few miles away at Hallett Cove but spent most of our weekends down Port Noarlunga - the beach is lovely for the little ones and there are some nice places to eat in the town. Just further along the coast is Christies Beach which is another lovely spot. Think you chose well :-) Good luck with the move

Thats great to know, thanks for that. Hey might see you there !!

I highly recommend that area, we are planning on going to Woodcroft but you cannot really go wrong in that location, we want to be just a little nearer to town but still close to the beach which is why we are going for Woodcroft to start also like the sound of the school in that area, we used to live in the North Eastern Suburbs again highly recommended but now we have kids its the south for us you cannot really go wrong, Adelaide is a lovely place, best of luck with everything we are going back in about 6 weeks !!! yipee xx

Thats great to know, thanks for that. Hey might see you there !!

Hi there,

I live in Port Noarlunga. I bought a house here almost 6 years ago when we moved here and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

My daughter lives nearby...also in Port Noarlunga. She has young kids and there's everything that she needs. The swimming centre is just up the road, she lives accross from the Onkaparinga river, there's Jubilee park around the corner (wooden fort), sea scouts, and stunning beaches everywhere.

The only downside that people harp on about is the distance from the city. It's 30km which is 35 to 45 minutes by car (depending upon the expressway which is currently being changed into 4 lanes and both directions!). Travel time by train was 38 minutes or 29 minutes on the express and the trains will be running again in 2 months time after the line has been electrified.

Many newbies do decide to live around this area and the suburbs from Hallet Cove, Christies, Port Noarlunga and Seaford are very popular and have an ever increasing number of new Brit arrivals.

It's a safe suburb. Everything is on your doorstep. Property is reasonably priced and adjoining suburbs like Christies Beach are undergoing massive regeneration and development.

Tamara

Guest taffs
Hi there,

I live in Port Noarlunga. I bought a house here almost 6 years ago when we moved here and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

My daughter lives nearby...also in Port Noarlunga. She has young kids and there's everything that she needs. The swimming centre is just up the road, she lives accross from the Onkaparinga river, there's Jubilee park around the corner (wooden fort), sea scouts, and stunning beaches everywhere.

The only downside that people harp on about is the distance from the city. It's 30km which is 35 to 45 minutes by car (depending upon the expressway which is currently being changed into 4 lanes and both directions!). Travel time by train was 38 minutes or 29 minutes on the express and the trains will be running again in 2 months time after the line has been electrified.

Many newbies do decide to live around this area and the suburbs from Hallet Cove, Christies, Port Noarlunga and Seaford are very popular and have an ever increasing number of new Brit arrivals.

It's a safe suburb. Everything is on your doorstep. Property is reasonably priced and adjoining suburbs like Christies Beach are undergoing massive regeneration and development.

Tamara

Thanks Tamara, everything sounds great to us, really cant wait. We are not bothered about the distance to the city and by the time we get out there the trains should be back up and running.

Thanks for the info

Jason

Guest taffs
Hi we have been here 6 weeks now just about to move into our long term rental in port Noarlunga! We love it here! Boys at local school and are loving it there! Have settled really well! It's got a lovely feel and lots to do!

Hi Scott & Kerry glad to see you`ve settled in well, great stuff!!. I hope you dont mind me asking was it easy to register the boys in school ? and did you come across any complications finding a long term rental.

Jason

Hi Scott & Kerry glad to see you`ve settled in well, great stuff!!. I hope you dont mind me asking was it easy to register the boys in school ? and did you come across any complications finding a long term rental.Jason
Hi no probs at all getting them into school we went to port Noarlunga primary to have a look around and they said th boys could start on the Monday easy as that! Filled a form and off they went! Rentals we were lucky getting ours in a lovely spot we have gone for a smaller house but couldn't get it all! You will find a rental for definite lots of places around prt noarlunga to if you can get right in it it's all so close! And Noarlunga school doesn't have a catchment! Good luck with everything!

Guest taffs
Hi no probs at all getting them into school we went to port Noarlunga primary to have a look around and they said th boys could start on the Monday easy as that! Filled a form and off they went! Rentals we were lucky getting ours in a lovely spot we have gone for a smaller house but couldn't get it all! You will find a rental for definite lots of places around prt noarlunga to if you can get right in it it's all so close! And Noarlunga school doesn't have a catchment! Good luck with everything!

Thanks very much for the info

We moved from Barry in Wales nearly 6 months ago. We live in port noarlunga south, just 2 minutes out of port noarlunga. We LOVE it here. Port noarlunga primary is a nice school, my little ones 10,7 and 4 have settled really quickly. My youngest is in frieda corpe Kindy and will be going to school in jan. lovely beaches, lovely river for fishing with the kids, shopping centres 2 minutes up the road. Everything you need here. You'll love it :-))

Guest taffs
We moved from Barry in Wales nearly 6 months ago. We live in port noarlunga south, just 2 minutes out of port noarlunga. We LOVE it here. Port noarlunga primary is a nice school, my little ones 10,7 and 4 have settled really quickly. My youngest is in frieda corpe Kindy and will be going to school in jan. lovely beaches, lovely river for fishing with the kids, shopping centres 2 minutes up the road. Everything you need here. You'll love it :-))

Wow Barry we live in Swansea just up the M4. Our youngest Charlie is 4 he will be 5 next June so he will probably go to Frieda Corpe Kindy as well, could you tell me how easy is it to register with them and is it right Kindy is just for 3 days a week ? both of us will hopefully be working so do you have any idea the cost of child care when not in Kindy ?

Many thanks

Jason

It's surprising how many welsh people are here :-)). The best thing is to put your sons name down for Frieda Corpe immediately,it's a really popular Kindy and is really is great. They go 2 full days from 8.30 -4, I have been offered another day on during the second term as this term was shorter but generally it's 2 full days , mon & tues or wed and thurs. As I am working part time my son goes to a day care centre in christies beach,a few minutes from kindy on the day he's not in Kindy and also I drop him off at 7.30 and they take him to Kindy and pick him up at 5.30. It's a lovely place, looked at a few and took him to another a few times and stayed but didn't get the right feeling, with this one I knew he'd be ok ,the staff are lovely.the government will give you half of the amount you pay so it really is worth going back to work if you can.i think it works out about $70 something , I'll have to have a look. Any thing else I can help with just ask, good luck with it all and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with port noarlunga xx

Guest sithewindows

Hi, Just booked a month in Port Noarlunga and we will be looking for long term rental there. Will we get in? we live in Suffolk but my Nan was Welsh. :smile:

It's surprising how many welsh people are here :-)). The best thing is to put your sons name down for Frieda Corpe immediately,it's a really popular Kindy and is really is great. They go 2 full days from 8.30 -4, I have been offered another day on during the second term as this term was shorter but generally it's 2 full days , mon & tues or wed and thurs. As I am working part time my son goes to a day care centre in christies beach,a few minutes from kindy on the day he's not in Kindy and also I drop him off at 7.30 and they take him to Kindy and pick him up at 5.30. It's a lovely place, looked at a few and took him to another a few times and stayed but didn't get the right feeling, with this one I knew he'd be ok ,the staff are lovely.the government will give you half of the amount you pay so it really is worth going back to work if you can.i think it works out about $70 something , I'll have to have a look. Any thing else I can help with just ask, good luck with it all and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with port noarlunga xx

• 5 months later...

Schooling is very different here but my kids r we port noarlunga primary it seems good only been ther about 7 weeks and now on summer hops , just call the school and you will get an interview with the principal not sure if u can contact anyone now until they go back at the end of January they r not a zoned school at the moment they also have mixed year classes x

Hi Scott & Kerry glad to see you`ve settled in well, great stuff!!. I hope you dont mind me asking was it easy to register the boys in school ? and did you come across any complications finding a long term rental.

Jason

We have been in Australia for 10 months now arriving from Barry Island, south Wales and have been living in port Noarlunga south which is literally 2 minutes from port Noarlunga. Our children aged 11,8 and 4 attend port Noarlunga primary. It's a nice school, kids settled really well and have made loads of friends. Port Noarlunga is a lovely place to live. Minutes from the shopping mall, cinema, ice skating, leisure centre and of course the beautiful port Noarlunga beach. The onkaparinga river for kayaking, fishing or paddling and catching fish and crabs with the kids. I wouldn't move from here. I love it here, only negative thing j found is the kids swear a lot here but I found as long as I tell mine it's not acceptable I can live with that. Good luck with your move, Clare x

I can highly recommend the Port Noarlunga area. We have been in Oz now 2 months and loving every minute of it. We found a rental, as some others on this thread have said in Port Noarlunga South, which is a fantastic place to bring up kids, ours are 6, 4 and 2 and loving the outside lifestyle. We are literally 5 minutes walk from South Port beach and a short 3 minute ride in the car to Port Noarlunga, or Seaford and 5 minutes to the Colonnades shopping centre. Friends of ours send their children to Port Noarlunga Primary and they love it. Freida Corp is also a fantastic Kindy, unfortunately we couldn't get our daughter in as they were full so she is going to Seaford Kindy and our 6 year old goes to All Saints Primary in Seaford, which he absolutely loves.

Also if people are reading this in preparation before coming and need short term rental I cannot speak highly enough of Tamara and Homes Downunder! We stayed in Boomerang for 11 days and had a great time, all we could have asked for when making the move. So if you need a rental in this area give her website a look over.

Worth adding that, yes the trains are now back on from Noarlunga but the service so far has been diabolical. In their wisdom, the current (temporary) timetable has scrapped any express trains so the only choice are stoppers all the way into the city. It takes an hour (sometimes longer). We are still several months away from the Seaford extension being opened which will start to introduce faster electric trains (but the full roll out will take at least a year) but there is no word as to whether express trains will come back - at the moment it looks like its unlikely. The whole upgrade has been a shambles.

Just worth bearing in mind as we moved to McLaren Vale (which I don't regret as it's lovely) but my commute is very long.

Guest sithewindows

We also moved to McLaren Vale, not seen anyone with "One of those faces" yet.

Worth adding that, yes the trains are now back on from Noarlunga but the service so far has been diabolical. In their wisdom, the current (temporary) timetable has scrapped any express trains so the only choice are stoppers all the way into the city. It takes an hour (sometimes longer). We are still several months away from the Seaford extension being opened which will start to introduce faster electric trains (but the full roll out will take at least a year) but there is no word as to whether express trains will come back - at the moment it looks like its unlikely. The whole upgrade has been a shambles.

Just worth bearing in mind as we moved to McLaren Vale (which I don't regret as it's lovely) but my commute is very long.

Guest sithewindows

That could be why then, although we have had an offer accepted on a house in Willunga today, might still see you around though as I seem to visit Coles in McLaren Vale at least once a day.

To be fair, McLaren Vale is so exquisitely lovely that it has forced a few more smiles out of me this year than normal.