How long does it take to evict a tenant??

Guest leemina

Guest leemina

Any landlords who've had to organise a eviction on here?? Roughly how long a process is it??

We've bought a house here (yippee!!) but its tenanted for another 3.5 wks and we're thinking that they may need to be evicted. I've read up on the process but there's nothing that says approximately how long it takes. Anyone know?? By the way, we're actually gonna move into the house if that makes a difference.

thanks

I think they have got to do something wrong and have the correct notices served on them, several times before you can serve notice to quit, then if they do not go you have to get eviction orders, but the manageing agent should be doing all this (if you have one), but you will also have to keep onto the agent to ensure they act quickly and correctly.

Others on PIA will be able to give you more detailed advice.

Good luck

Guest leemina

Their lease is up on the 23rd August and they've been given notice of this (over 60 days) so they're aware that they are supposed to leave. We bought the house to live in of which they also know about. We've had problems with them paying rent (basically in arrears a lot), and I'm just worried that they're either just gonna leave without telling us, or that they just wont leave, and then we'll have to start the eviction process. We have an agent but I just wanna have an idea in my head how long things take etc.

You can not start the processes until they do not move out, but when I had to do the same it was approx 6 weeks, but I was not too impressed with the agents performance so it could be quicker. I Believe they have got to go to the courts to get the eviction notice, a notice is then served which has a date for eviction, this date could be some 3-4 weeks ahead! In my case the police also attended on the eviction date along with the agent, but do not really know if that is normal practice.

Good luck and hope it doesn't come to all this hassle.

I wonder if you gave them some financial incentive to move, although is it really worth it seen as they owe you money already. I've known landlords offer to pay for removals or first 2 weeks on a new place if they have been desperate to get rid. Sometimes when you have a difficult client its best to try and get them on side otherwise they can make things very difficult

Can you not start eviction process when they are 2 weeks in arrears, I thought you could here?

Maybe you can so long as the agent has served the correct 'notices to rectify' and other notices correctly and all in the correct time scales. I have just had a similar situation and the on site manager was right on the case, and once she had served 5 notices ( for various reasons) she then started the notices to evict, but the tennant left anyhow, also left a debt, damage and a mess! but landlord insurance copt the bulk of it.