how long should we book short term accommodation for our arrival in adelaide?

Guest abi craig

Guest abi craig

hi, we are hoping to move to adelaide by the middle of 2014, so are starting to look at schools, rental accommodation etc. We have no idea how long it takes to find and move into a long term rental house so would appreciate any advice on how long to book short term accommodation. also we love the look of hallet cove, happy valley, marino and flagstaff hill areas so any opinions on these esp schools in these areas would be great x

Guest Guest75

From my humble experience in the business I would say an average of 4 weeks as said by Snifter.

Some of it comes down to luck,where you find your work,what suburbs you like.

We have had guests get it all wrapped and happy in 2 weeks (evening Mr Bacon),some of our guests need /book for 6 weeks but most book for 4 weeks.

It's also when discounts kick in with most of the lovely folk with short term rentals .

The areas you have chosen are good but take time to look closely.

Marino is possibly your most expensive suburb on the list.

We live in Hallett Cove in Cove Point and love it.

Yes if you shipping a container over it could be a while without furniture, we have a number of 12 week bookings for our rentals and as Tyke says that's when the big discounts start to kick in so the rates become very competitive against long term rentals. Also you then get a decent time in a rental for a reference towards a long term rental.

Good luck with the move over

Kim :wubclub:

Guest matt n mel

Hi there

Well we did it in a week, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone! Stayed in holiday accommodation in semaphore as this was a much cheaper option than the short term options generally suggested on here, and we were pretty strapped coming over. However I'm sure you get what you pay for! Our unit was like Bate's Motel and I felt like I'd been sentenced there. A piece of scaffold for a wardrobe! We raced around looking at properties and found a peach luckily. Anyhoo, it can be done in a week but you may end up with grey hair! Probably go for a fortnight in one of the units recommended on here. Of course the other thing is all the knowledge you can get from the owners- that would be money well spent. We were working a bit blind really.

Good luck!!

Guest matt n mel
Matt n Mel, impressed you managed in a week. Think thats the shortest time I've read about! But can imagine it was flat out and stressful.

Thanks snifter! Yes it was extremely stressful looking back don't know how we did it! I only had 2 weeks before starting work (had lined the job up before moving) and so had to do everything including buying a car, finding a rental, (and furnishing it!), moving in, along with all the usual bank account, driving licence etc oh and did I mention that Matt had to fly straight back to England once the 2 weeks was up as he has his own business over there and was moving over later?! Our deadline was looming so I guess it was do or die.

So even though I love a challenge, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone- definitely go for a minimum 2 weeks!

Thanks snifter! Yes it was extremely stressful looking back don't know how we did it! I only had 2 weeks before starting work (had lined the job up before moving) and so had to do everything including buying a car, finding a rental, (and furnishing it!), moving in, along with all the usual bank account, driving licence etc oh and did I mention that Matt had to fly straight back to England once the 2 weeks was up as he has his own business over there and was moving over later?! Our deadline was looming so I guess it was do or die.

So even though I love a challenge, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone- definitely go for a minimum 2 weeks!

I'm well impressed still :cute::notworthy:

I think also if you don't know how daunting it is going to be beforehand, perhaps you just don't feel so overwhelmed by it and so just get on with it IYKWIM. At least that is my take when we've done moves to new places from start to finish inside of 6 weeks, from when it was first mooted as an idea to moving in to the new house a few hours away. OK, same country but still, moving an entire house, kid, dog, changing jobs and so on, we've done it a few times. Or like you, case of having to go for it, now or never sort of thing, you have to either leap and hope the landing is soft or stay put and watch it slip away. That needing to leap thing can often make you much more driven, which I think you were. And you managed it all! Fair play.

This move to Aus is the least stressful so far for us! We are packing about a third of what we own and so the rest is heading out the door and its making life so much easier. Taking what we need, really want and the rest can go. If we were moving within the UK again, it would (mostly) all go with us, but this move seems more sense to travel lighter so to speak.

Edited by snifter
Added an extra line of text

Guest matt n mel

I agree with the travelling light bit snifter- we did that too- but now I wonder how on earth I have managed to gain loads more clutter again?? The trick must be to brutally declutter and then stay decluttered for life! I have not mastered this skill. Must learn to sidestep the bargains and pretty things.....

Good luck with your move! And to anyone else on the verge........ :smile:

• 2 months later...

Hi Abi Craig, We too are moving to Adelaide mid next year. Have you had any success with schools? I am visiting next week and looking at 4 schools for our 14 year old son. We moved to Aus 6 years ago and have done Victoria NSW and Northern Territory, so now are comfortably aware of all that it Aus - just not all that is Adelaide! Leaving NSW in March for a long trip back to the UK then returning to move to Adelaide June/July :) Also looking around Flagstaff Hills/Blackwood/Belair and possibly Hallet Cove though still to be persuaded as not sure if its too far for OH who works at the airport.... Let me know if you have any Aus questions or success in schools you can share :)

Guest Guest12727
Also looking around Flagstaff Hills/Blackwood/Belair and possibly Hallet Cove though still to be persuaded as not sure if its too far for OH who works at the airport.... Let me know if you have any Aus questions or success in schools you can share :)

not sure there is much in it. You can journey it yourself next week to see. make sure you do it in traffic though. There are some lovely beach suburbs much closer to the airport.

thanks howde - which beach suburbs would you recommend and still get for around 500 p/w renting or 500k to buy - 3 bed plus?

Look at Google maps for Adelaide and you'll see the suburbs. Glenelg, Henley beach, Brighton, Hove, Seacliff..... Plus north up the coast also.

Then check realestate.com.au and throw those suburbs in and your budget and see what you think.

I love Coromandel Valley but am not so smitten with Aberfoyle park or Flagstaff hill but that's just my personal preference. Plus it's pricey ;) Look at the commute routes on google maps for the areas you like to give you a better idea.

I'd say consider work then schools. We have set ourselves a 15 minute max drive to school so have a heap of options for where we can live. We are both self employed so commute isn't an issue for us. We are currently in Glenelg and while it's lovely it's pricey. We didn't put our son into the local school, so have about a 5 minute drive to the one we opted for (and can cycle with ease also).