researching areas to live in Adelaide prior to leaving the UK - Help!

TonyD

We are moving to Adelaide in December and struggling to make a decision on which area to choose to set up home. The company I have secured a job with are putting us in furnished accomodation for the first month and I assume that will be near to the city centre but we are finding it daunting picking a place to settle after that as there are so many posibilities!

There will only be my wife and I (though our dog Dylbag will be joining us a couple of months later) so being close to good schools isnt important but we would like to be within an hours commute from the City and ideally be close to the beach.

We know that we will only decide when we get there but if anyone who has already made the move can give us some advice on how to narrow the choice down prior to arriving we'd be really grateful.

many thanks

T

Try thinking of being within a half hour commute of the city instead - an hour's driving each way out here will drive you mad and probably send you bankrupt with speeding fines - even if you're a really careful driver! Where will you be working? And what sorty of budget will you have? Public transport or driving? Personally if you are working in the city you can't go far wrong looking at the suburbs along the Torrens River - east or west. You will have plenty of dog walking options, plenty of travel/transport options, including cycling if you're into that sort of thing, and a pretty area to live in. Plus your wife will have job options in the city.

Obviously it's everyone's choice, but with just the two of you and no kids to worry about, I'd definitely be looking at somewhere where you can get easily in and out of the city in the evenings for social stuff as well as work. I'm probably a little biased because I far prefer to walk my dog offlead in the park along the river than on the beach (makes it easier when she wants a drink apart from anything else!) and I feel that some of the further-out suburbs really limit your social and entertainment options.

Thanks for the quick and very helpul advice Diane. I'll be working on the new Royal Adelaide hospital project during its construction and thats pretty central. Sharon is a Youth Worker and although she hasnt secured a job yet it will probably be around the centre.

I'd ideally like to commute on public transport but will be geting a car as well so its not essential that public transport links are nearby. with regards to budget we're thinking 300 to 400 dollars per week.

I find your comment about keeping dogs on a lead on the beach suprising - he needs a lot of excercise so needs to be off his lead - is it a general rule they have to be kept on a lead on the beach?

once again, thanks foryour advice.

Tony

The rules are different at different times of the year on the beaches, and different on different beaches. In the winter months in glenelg dogs can be off the lead at any time. I'm summer I think it is on the lead between 10am and 6pm.

An hours commute isn't so bad. I've been doing it for years and never had a ticket. Glenelg sounds like it would tick your boxes, but might be a bit too expensive.

In my experience, all the areas I looked at before I came got ruled out when I got here. Seeing the places makes a big difference.

Guest mature1_arnie

TonyD I would think the best area for you would be the western suburbs which are also the seaside of Adelaide or may be the lower northern suburbs like Parafield Gardens where I live now after having move about the state lots of parks & open sky's also close enough to the beaches & an easy commute to Adelaide city regards expat pome from London England arrived in 1960 have no regrets regards arnie

Thanksfor the advice Blossom. Glenelgs does seem very nice and we dont mind paying a bit more if its the rightht location. It also suprises me thet Glenelg is an hour commute - I looked on a route planner for Marino to adelaide and it said 35 minutes and thatts much further south - I'll try a different route planner!

If Glenelg is an hour from the centre thats also useful info as it gives us a useful radius with which to look for areas.

once again thanks Blossom

Tony

TonyD I would think the best area for you would be the western suburbs which are also the seaside of Adelaide or may be the lower northern suburbs like Parafield Gardens where I live now after having move about the state lots of parks & open sky's also close enough to the beaches & an easy commute to Adelaide city regards expat pome from London England arrived in 1960 have no regrets regards arnie

Thanks Arnie, we have also looked at Parafield Gardens, it seems a nice place

Tony

Thanksfor the advice Blossom. Glenelgs does seem very nice and we dont mind paying a bit more if its the rightht location. It also suprises me thet Glenelg is an hour commute - I looked on a route planner for Marino to adelaide and it said 35 minutes and thatts much further south - I'll try a different route planner!

If Glenelg is an hour from the centre thats also useful info as it gives us a useful radius with which to look for areas.

once again thanks Blossom

Tony

Sorry, I didn't mean glenelg was an hour commute, just that an hour commute isn't so bad if you wanted to be further out lol.

It's probably about 20 minutes into the city from glenelg if not in rush hour, or on the tram. It's a pretty good base I reckon if you are into the beach.

I think most of the beaches have an on leash rule during the summer months (i.e between October and March) where dogs have to be on the lead between sunrise and sunset. Although, when we've been on the beaches in the summer we've seen dogs off leash, the dog wardens ae very fierce and people will happily report an off-leash dog to them. We got caught once I think when our dog was a puppy and we had her off the lead in the water. A warden drove down and took her registration number and gave us a very stern warning!

I think there might be one or two year-round off leash beaches, but the few times we've been on them we've been put off by the fact that on beaches if dogs are off leash, their owners don't always seem to be as vigilant about cleaning up after them as we are used to in our local park!

You probably realise, as it sounds like you've been doing some research, that the beaches run all the way down the west side of Adelaide so the further east you go, the further from the beaches (if that's your thing!) - however, we are in the North East and even for us a beach is only 30 minutes drive away (Parafield Gardens is west of us and a little north) so as long as you are not way out in the sticks somewhere, youi won't be too far from a beach. We like this area because it has great transport (both roads and publc transport), the absolutely incomparable Linear Park, easy access to the city (about 15-25 minutes depending on the time of day) and a good wide range of housing options from huge mansions, to sensible family properties.

Other areas I'd say were good for a couple with no kids are Norwood, Unley, Glenelg, North Adelaide and Prospect.

You probably realise, as it sounds like you've been doing some research, that the beaches run all the way down the west side of Adelaide so the further east you go, the further from the beaches (if that's your thing!) - however, we are in the North East and even for us a beach is only 30 minutes drive away (Parafield Gardens is west of us and a little north) so as long as you are not way out in the sticks somewhere, youi won't be too far from a beach. We like this area because it has great transport (both roads and publc transport), the absolutely incomparable Linear Park, easy access to the city (about 15-25 minutes depending on the time of day) and a good wide range of housing options from huge mansions, to sensible family properties.

Other areas I'd say were good for a couple with no kids are Norwood, Unley, Glenelg, North Adelaide and Prospect.

How do you get to the beach in 30 minutes? It takes us 45 from Rostrevor even on a good day. Probably having to get past the city that kills us.

If I didn't have kids I'd be looking at places like North Adelaide, Norwood and Unley as places to live as I'm not bothered about being close to the beach. Beach side suburbs that would appeal to me would be Glenelg, Brighton and Grange.

Hi, we moved here and first went beachside, then ended up near the city, its a tough one as everyone likes different things, I have always lived near the sea in UK and melbourne so thought would miss it, but it is so easy to get to and there is so much going on around the city, especially if you are a couple! I have young children so not as easy for us to do everything. There is lots of parklands near the city, easy to cycle to the RAH, from eastern suburbs and north adelaide. I find it all lovely around the city and enjoy going to spend days at various beaches. until you get here and get a feel for the place I think its a very hard decision to make ! maybe if you can have a short term let and visit the different areas?

good luck with your search!

Unless you are a real beach person (daily swim, surf life saver, have a boat etc) you don't really need to be that close to the beach. Unless you live on the esplanade, even if you live within walking distance, if you are going for a swim or to spend any amount of time you will probably drive there anyway (who wants to walk home in their bathers with a towel wrapped round their waist??). You will probaby be taking towels, maybe chairs, a sun shelter, maybe boogie boards etc. and a car is good for locking up valuables like your purse/camera/phone if necessary. In which case it doesn't really matter if it's a 1 minute drive or a 10-15 minute drive. Why pay top dollar for living a street or 2 away? Most places in the Adelaide metro area are not that far from the beach, and it's not like you will get stuck in a traffic jam going there with the rest of humanity on a sunny bank holiday weekend!!!

I've been stuck in traffic with people trying to get to silver sands on a public holiday weekend! I have never seen a beach so full of cars! I kinda wanted to stop to get a pick as there were cars right next to each other, as far as you could see.

I agree though, it's never far to a beach.

I'll avoid that beach then! Too far for us anyway for a day trip - if we do venture south we tend to go to Moana.

The express train from Noarlunga station to the city used to take less than 30 minutes.

I drove from Morphett vale into the city for months and with the expressway working it took between 28 and 40 minutes depending upon rush hour or not.

My opinion (not advice) is to live near the beach. look out on stunning views. Walk on the prom. Get away from the hussle and bustle and only subject yourself to that when you have to.

Chris

The express train from Noarlunga station to the city used to take less than 30 minutes.

I drove from Morphett vale into the city for months and with the expressway working it took between 28 and 40 minutes depending upon rush hour or not.

How long does it take without the Expressway? And without the trains running?

Hello and sorry for the incorrect information, was just trying to be helpful, as newbies we are still getting used to everything including public transport, I put "I think" 20 minutes as I wasn't sure. Anyway good luck with the move and all the best.

No criticism intended from me, simply correcting something in case someone relies on the info. Anyway, it's good to see newbies getting into the '20 minute' swing of things (everything seems to be 20 mins away based on what people say in Adelaide. I was a passenger in a car once on a journey from Seaford to the CBD and afterwards the driver was telling someone else that it took us 'about 20 mins' to get there. It took more than double that time ...) :biggrin: