• Short term rental accommodation, furnished rentals in port Noarlunga Adelaide, South Australia
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Like Tree25Likes

Thread: researching areas to live in Adelaide prior to leaving the UK - Help!

West Beach, Adelaide
      126 times
      Thanks Laila & Pete, we would definitely prefer to travel that bit further into the CBD for one of the quieter areas so your advice is useful.

Good luck in getting sorted with work.

Western Suburbs
      830 times
      Quote Originally Posted by soo_the_panda View Post

Anne, respectfully I disagree. I pay a lot to live close to the beach (3 minute walk from the front door into the water) and for me - it is so worth it. I don't have a boat and am not involved in surf life saving, and walking home with a towel around my waist certainly doesn't bother me at all - in fact I love the fact I can get home from work 4 months of the year, put on my bathers, wrap a towel around my waist and be in the water swimming within 5 minutes!

True, if you're a big family and are 'setting up for the day' then a car is probably necessary for food, esky with cold drinks, chairs etc (and there are certainly loads of great suburbs within an easy drive of the beach) but as a couple with no kids, we love being able to walk to the beach in a couple of minutes, sometimes with a small bag for a drink, sun cream and a book.

When it's not swimming weather, I love walking or cycling on the esplanade and do that at least 5 times a week. For me, I just love the sea and it's probably the major defining 'I live in Australia' parts of life here for me. I just can't imagine moving here and living far from the beach... I guess I'm trying to live out my own version of Home and Away!

Also, for the (minority!) of us who don't own a car, that proximity is priceless. Each to their own, but for me I wouldn't swap living by the beach for anything (at least until I have kids and may need to move to the suburbs - but that'll be somewhere west of Adelaide within a ten minute drive to the beach!)
      Hi, I totally understand what you are saying. We used to rent a unit on the North Esplanade in Glenelg, long before we had kids, and it was great just to walk across the road and go for a swim at the end of the day. It wasn't so great in the winter when there was a gale blowing from the south though! It highlights the total difference of life with and without kids. A trip to the beach just isn't that easy or peaceful anymore, it can be more like a major logistical operation - hats, sunscreen, goggles, rashies, chairs, water bottles, towels, sunshade, bucket and spade(!), books, esky, frisbee, boogie boards, kite etc !!! To be honest, the novelty of the beach wore off after a couple of years with our kids - they do enjoy it but not as much as we thought they would.
      Last edited by Anne B; 24-09-2013 at 05:02 AM.
      soo_the_panda likes this.
      Backpacked round Australia 1992. Married Australian husband in Adelaide 1994. Lived in Adelaide 1994-1997. Moved back to UK & lived in Essex/Herts 1997-2009. Returned to Adelaide November 2009. 2 kids dual nationality.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234