Rental application documents ???

Guest TheBirdsIOM

Guest TheBirdsIOM

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what documentation can or should be included in your rental application?

I have been told that it may be worth including photos of the house you owned before moving out or maybe a reference from the letting agent if you were renting through one or even the landlord would be a good thing to include?????

Just wondering if anyone could comment that has already been through the process :0)

Thanks

Dianne

I'm going through this right now. They want two personal references. They also ask where you lived, landlord details bla bla bla. You need to provide 100 points of ID. This is different things and different points for different real estate agents.

Personally I include a cover letter too.

I don't think you are looking too soon. I applied for my first one last week (didn't get it) but don't have to be out until the 6th of December. Mind you, I have three cats so have been expecting it to be harder.

I don't think they are looking too soon either. We found out this morning we have got the property we wanted, and it's lease doesn't start until January 24th, we are still in the UK! We already have a short term furnished rental booked from 9th Jan (when we arrive) - 6th Feb, but the overlap with allow us to unpack container stuff into long term rental while still being in short term place for comfort.

So excited now, the place we've got is exactly where we wanted it in Port Noarlunga!

guspjmh - just wondering how you went about securing a rental whilst in the UK? I was under the impression the agents liked you to be there to view it before committing to a rental?

I don't think they are looking too soon either. We found out this morning we have got the property we wanted, and it's lease doesn't start until January 24th, we are still in the UK! We already have a short term furnished rental booked from 9th Jan (when we arrive) - 6th Feb, but the overlap with allow us to unpack container stuff into long term rental while still being in short term place for comfort.

So excited now, the place we've got is exactly where we wanted it in Port Noarlunga!

guspjmh - just wondering how you went about securing a rental whilst in the UK? I was under the impression the agents liked you to be there to view it before committing to a rental?

I think most do, but we were lucky that our agent was ok - she did ask us to sign a letter saying that we accept the property even though we haven't seen it, but as we've seen a picture of every room we know what to expect. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post her details, but she was really good.

What happens if I haven't any referencies? It's about twenty years that I live in a house that is my own property, am I supposed to produce a letter signed by myself???

I was in the same boat, had owned my own house since I was 21! I just got a reference from my boss and also 2 from friends. Basically, the online application for tenancy just asks for their email address and relation to you. They are then followed up with an email asking questions about you, like how tidy and clean your house/garden is - so best to pick friends who have been around!

I think most do, but we were lucky that our agent was ok - she did ask us to sign a letter saying that we accept the property even though we haven't seen it, but as we've seen a picture of every room we know what to expect. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post her details, but she was really good.

Hopefully this won't apply to you, but I have been looking at properties at the moment (going to two today) and have been shocked by the difference in pictures to actual property. It seems most pics were taken years ago at some point when the house was empty. I walked out of one on Thursday without even seeing all the rooms. It had looked absolutely lovely in the pics. I could barely believe it was the same house.

Last time I was looking there was also a house which had looked great on the pics, but was very cruddy in reality. There was a broken green house in the garden (not shown in pics). Literally glass everywhere, which they said the owner was not prepared to remove. The woman told us that it didn't matter if they couldn't find anyone as they had someone lined up from over seas who wouldn't have seen it!

We also looked at another house on Thursday where the agent was a complete cow! The house was nice enough. We would have applied if it wasn't for her! She wagged her finger going 'uhh uhhh uhhhh No!' to someone who went to bring a pushchair in (that wasn't the only thing). How is a family supposed to live in a house with an agent who gets arsey if you even bring a pushchair in on a perfectly dry day?

Personally I would NEVER rent a house without having seen it.

Hopefully this won't apply to you, but I have been looking at properties at the moment (going to two today) and have been shocked by the difference in pictures to actual property. It seems most pics were taken years ago at some point when the house was empty. I walked out of one on Thursday without even seeing all the rooms. It had looked absolutely lovely in the pics. I could barely believe it was the same house.

Last time I was looking there was also a house which had looked great on the pics, but was very cruddy in reality. There was a broken green house in the garden (not shown in pics). Literally glass everywhere, which they said the owner was not prepared to remove. The woman told us that it didn't matter if they couldn't find anyone as they had someone lined up from over seas who wouldn't have seen it!

We also looked at another house on Thursday where the agent was a complete cow! The house was nice enough. We would have applied if it wasn't for her! She wagged her finger going 'uhh uhhh uhhhh No!' to someone who went to bring a pushchair in (that wasn't the only thing). How is a family supposed to live in a house with an agent who gets arsey if you even bring a pushchair in on a perfectly dry day?

Personally I would NEVER rent a house without having seen it.

I've heard similar horror stories and know there is a risk, but the house we've gone for is only 4 yrs old, and I've seen pictures which I know are from March this year, as it was up for sale for a short period and I have the brochure. So hopefully can't have changed too much. Its also the location which we wanted and had been unable to find.

Good luck finding something.

Edited by guspjmh

Well we saw two today. The first was the first one which has actually lived up to the pictures, so there is a chance. ;)

The second one was nearly unrecognisable. It seems since the agent last saw it the owners decided to rip up most the carpets, the garden was a jungle. I think it may have worked in our favour though as most people didn't stay long, and I heard two couples complaining about the state of it, leaving without application forms. We are trying to imagine it finished lol.

Guest sithewindows
I was in the same boat, had owned my own house since I was 21! I just got a reference from my boss and also 2 from friends. Basically, the online application for tenancy just asks for their email address and relation to you. They are then followed up with an email asking questions about you, like how tidy and clean your house/garden is - so best to pick friends who have been around!
Or in some peoples case, may be not!

Guest sithewindows

Is it the one next to Port Noarlunga Gypsy site?

Guest sithewindows

Your OK Gus no gypsy site, its a great place to be, we rented on The Esplanade for our first 6 weeks. In McLaren Vale now so not far away.

Is there really a gypsy site in Port Noarlunga, or was it a joke? It doesn't bother me if there is, but I don't remember seeing one when I was over in March/April.

Hi guspjmh,

How easy is it to rent propery in Adelaide as I have a friend who has just gone out to Mandurah (WA) and they are struggling to find a rental and another guy they have met has said he has been there for 4 weeks and applied for 18 houses with no luck and has now decided to book a flight back home!!! Are things that bad out there??

Bal

Your OK Gus no gypsy site, its a great place to be, we rented on The Esplanade for our first 6 weeks. In McLaren Vale now so not far away.

McLaren Vale is beautiful, we enjoyed visiting it and will be happy to continue sampling the wine when we return!

Bal - I can only speak for myself, but there seem to be no shortage of properties, albeit some of them are not in the best condition. We have family in Perth who have been out for a few years and never had any issues finding a rental place - they have moved a few times.