If you rent your house out using an agent...

Blossom

I have spent the last couple of weeks traipsing around opens for rental houses.

My one top tip for anyone planning on using a rental agent to deal with their property is to mystery shop them first!

We have met some lovely agents, but one we met was so rude to everyone viewing the house that she alone was the reason we didn't apply. Everything else we were happy with except her. She was barking at people that they would have to hurry up as she had other appointments (with 10 minutes to go of the 15 minute open). When asked questions about the property she couldn't care less and was snappy. And worst of all, someone went to bring a push chair in and she waved her finger at them while saying 'nah ahhh ahhhh. I don't want that in here! These are brand new carpets!' (Which they obviously weren't, another off putting thing about her).

In the end we decided that a woman who couldn't be bothered to be polite when she is representing her company, talks to everyone as if they are children, lies about the 'new' carpets, and doesn't expect a family to bring a pushchair in the house on a nice hot dry day was going to be a nightmare to deal with. Who knows how many good renters this woman put off applying.

And then there are the probably 6-7 companies who have empty houses (we have driven past) saying available now who haven't bothered to return phone calls, or emails or even have any opens in the last two weeks!

Anyway, just thought I'd say incase people hadn't thought about the possibility of a bad agent meaning their house is empty for longer.

I have only rented a property out through a rental agent on one occasion and the experience wasn't pleasant. Maybe it's just luck of the draw? There are people out there who do care though.

I do think that there is a gap in the market for a service minded rental agency...staffed entirely by people who give a damn...about the customers they are working for and for the families who are looking for a home. I agree that their attitude does often make or break the possible rental deal.

Tamara

My daughter spent considerable time choosing a good agent when the first rented their house. Within 3 months she had moved on and they were tied to a contract with an inexperienced, incapable agent. He did not notice on an inspection that all the native shrubs in the garden had been pulled up!!!!!!!!

They have been through a few agents since, (with the same company). They make sure that they inspect on their yearly visits to Adelaide and if there is something amiss, they just keep going with the agency until it is fixed.

I notice that our local real estate agency in Aberfoyle Park has given up doing rentals and they are now handled by a Letting Agency. I have not heard any further on that.

When we arrived we've also been to open inspections and soon found out applicants are only numbers to agents. Some agents were really friendly and helpful, others less.

Besides all the paperwork to hand in for real estate agents and to wait for days to get an answer back, we decided to rent privately and so we did.

Eventually, after reading The Advertiser we found a nice landlord who never bothers us with these so called 'regular every 4 months follow-up inspections' and if something broke down we call our landlord directly and don't have any delays because the agent always needs the confirmation of doing s.th. from the landlord (which could lead to delays when you don't have that landlord's mobile number by yourself).

This is a good thread,as it highlights the problems new arrivals might face within a short time after arrival.The rental market here is quite competitive,and as such people may find it very disconcerting.As has been said,many properties are portrayed as desirable,with photographs that do not depict reality,often they are dated,with 1960s/70s worn out decor,real ramshackle dumps you wouldnt put a dog in.Also the Agents are often rude,and 'up themselves',we found a few like this when we rented.When you get a rental you like,it is imperative to take Photos of all issues,damage etc you have noticed on day one,and inform the Agent.You will be paying a great deal for rental,so should expect a service commensurate.We did as Rabeah did after our bad experience with an Asrehole of an Agent,and got a rental from the Advertiser,deal direct with a Landlord,no nonesense,it's in his interest to keep you happy.Problem solved for us.Best of Luck to all you newbies just arrived,or soon to arrive.