Short term rental

Bubbl

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Bubbl! Short term rentals are much more expensive than a 12 month lease (understandably) but i would have thought that if you can pay for 3 months short term rental up front you would have enough to pay for a bond on a long term?

example:

Short term 3 bedroom $700 per week for 3 months =$9100

long term 3 bedroom $310 per week for 3 month $4030 + bond $1860 = $5890

Some of the short term rentals who are also members on this site offer great rates for 12 weeks. In winter I've seen advertised rates of $450 per week and I think that includes electricity, water and internet also. But February is a peak period with many furnished places so I am not sure that there would necessarily be a lot of availability around. The commercial sites like Stayz, Rent a Home etc you might find some availability for your dates but it is likely to be expensive. I think if you can book for a month and have a look for a longer term stay that would be more economically viable.

Guest Guest12727

Cost really depends on whether you want furnished or unfurnished. Unlike UK, most rental property here is unfurnished. To get furnished, you are really in the holiday let market which means the prices are very high, with rentals more on a weekly basis.

It is possible to obtain short leases (3months) on unfurnished properties, at standard rental rates. To do this you are best to try the real estate agents rental management sections, rather than websites such as Stayz etc who deal with holiday lets.

We had a 3month rental when we were first here, it was a good length of time to really get to know the areas we preferred to settle. It was a tide over rental for people who had been overseas for 2 years, letting there property and there was just 3months left until they returned - it suited them and us.

Another option might be to try housesitting.

Hi Bubbl! Short term rentals are much more expensive than a 12 month lease (understandably) but i would have thought that if you can pay for 3 months short term rental up front you would have enough to pay for a bond on a long term?

example:

Short term 3 bedroom $700 per week for 3 months =$9100

long term 3 bedroom $310 per week for 3 month $4030 + bond $1860 = $5890

Thanks Claire n tel - that's a really good point - I was worried about the furniture issue but suppose I could be wasting money with three months - definitely good for thought! Thanks again!

Cost really depends on whether you want furnished or unfurnished. Unlike UK, most rental property here is unfurnished. To get furnished, you are really in the holiday let market which means the prices are very high, with rentals more on a weekly basis.

It is possible to obtain short leases (3months) on unfurnished properties, at standard rental rates. To do this you are best to try the real estate agents rental management sections, rather than websites such as Stayz etc who deal with holiday lets.

We had a 3month rental when we were first here, it was a good length of time to really get to know the areas we preferred to settle. It was a tide over rental for people who had been overseas for 2 years, letting there property and there was just 3months left until they returned - it suited them and us.

Another option might be to try housesitting.

Thanks Howde for the info - how did you come across your rental at the time? Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences - it's really useful for me.

Some of the short term rentals who are also members on this site offer great rates for 12 weeks. In winter I've seen advertised rates of $450 per week and I think that includes electricity, water and internet also. But February is a peak period with many furnished places so I am not sure that there would necessarily be a lot of availability around. The commercial sites like Stayz, Rent a Home etc you might find some availability for your dates but it is likely to be expensive. I think if you can book for a month and have a look for a longer term stay that would be more economically viable.

Thanks so much for this - I'm going to reconsider my options I think - just a big decision so all the info is really good to know thanks!

Guest Guest12727

I think we just registered with estate agents, telling them we were interested in short term, and were lucky that one had this property available. We were already here though.

I agree you can find a long term rental within a month to 6 weeks depending on the time of year and area your looking in, however there are many people who chose to stay in a short term rental longer as they dont know the areas they want to settle in nor checked out the schools for their kids, especially if you are bringing over a container.

I think its down to personal circumstances and what you feel comfortable with really. AND there are many reasonable short term rentals out there with discount rates for longer stays.

Good luck

Kim:wubclub: