Short term rental - End of March 2014

Guest ringo

Hi Guys,

Me and my wife plus 2 kids (8 and 6) are moving to Adelaide end of March next year and I need your ideas regarding our plan.

We are planning to get a hotel accommodation for 4 days. A week before our arrival, we would schedule for a long tern lease in Glenelg area, and hopefully we can enough book appointments so that we can have a place of our own.

My question is... is 4 days enough to finish all our transaction and move into a new place or is it a bit tight?

If 4 days are not enough... would you advice us to go for those short term lease? Any recommendations?

I do not want to sound so paranoid .... but I read from other sites and forums that they do not recommend to pay in advance while booking overseas as you can get cheated or conned. Any advice tips for short term lease would be very helpful.

TIA.

In my opinion, 4 days is definitely not long enough to get a long term rental once you are here.

Open inspections are mostly held at weekends, and often 2-3 weeks prior to the places being available to move in.

The agent usually has to check your references, often get in touch with the owner who makes the decision.

I would take the pressure off yourself and try for a 3-4 week short term lease, even then, you may have to be lucky.

Guest Guest75

If looking for a short term lease / furnished rental - look at ta few of the members here who offer accommodation.

I'd be asking many questions / looking for a web site / ask if they are insured and so on.

Some do it "on the side" which is fine but if anything goes wrong.........???

You pay for what you get.

Ask the members on here who you think have used short term accommodation - at one time members could give recommendations but that is not allowed now.

4 days is not long enough in my humble.

Sorry to be cynical but I have seen / heard and witnessed some real rip offs and horror stories.

I agree with tykes comments

research research.

i also know that there are decent folk who help others and don't rip you off, and give you more than you pay for.

so don't stress, just do your research and I'm sure you will find the right place.

we were people who 'do it on the side", and I can certainly say we helped people out.

good luck

Tykes and ratters2005

Thanks for the advice. It looks like I need to do a lot more of research.

"Sorry to be cynical but I have seen / heard and witnessed some real rip offs and horror stories."

Tykes... I know what you mean by this. I have heard a lot of horror stories as well in my lifetime.

I have been renting all my life and I hope I will not get into a problematic situation. Its a bad way to start our life in OZ if that will be the case.

:(

• 3 weeks later...