Accommodation required - Seaview High or Brighton High catchment area

Naughtons

Hello

We arrive in Adelaide on the 19th January, we are booked into a hotel for a week, during that time we are hoping to secure a rental in the Brighton high or Seaview high catchment area so our 14 year old daughter can start school at the start of the first term.

We are looking for a 3 or 4 bedroomed property.

We are so excited now, but have 6 days to say our goodbyes (which we are dreading), leaving party on Saturday :smile: then we leave on the 8th (visiting my brother in Melbourne for 10 days first)

If you know of any suitable rentals we would be really grateful

Thanks

Angie & Paul

Just a quick question, have you researched the schools before coming?? Brighton high school is an excellent school but sea view high as a not so good reputation. My friends lad goes there. This only my opinion, I don't want to offend anyone.

Thanks for the advice, we have been doing research, but it is so hard before you get there, we are steering towards Brighton high, I appreciate you letting us know, do you know of any other schools with a reputation as good as Brightons? I don't want to commute to far away from the city

:cute:

Brighton is possibly the best as a public school, a lot of people wen the kids get to high school go private. Private over here isn't the same as in the uk. Woodcroft college at woodcroft lol is about 6-8000 a year, with a good reputation. My daughter is off to cardjn which is a catholic high school and that is 4000 a year. Don't forget the cost of uniforms, they sting you there a bit.

As soon as u see Brighton you will want to go there, and not sea view. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Diane, we will take a look :wink:

For non fee paying:

Maryatville High; Brighton High; Glenunga International and Unley High are the most select public high schools it seems. As you are obviously aware they are all zoned. Good luck :)

I'd check out realestate.com.au for rentals in that area. Just make sure you are actually in the zone as its a bit of a small one for Brighton.

http://www.brightonss.sa.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Brighton-Secondary-School-Zoning-Policy-Map.pdf

You will have to show proof of rental for a year and also to then stay residing in the zone for that time from what I hear.

Guest rustybin

You don't have to stay in that area for a year, as long as you stay in that area for when you enrol your kids, they have to take you by law. That's what the guy said when we enrolled at Henley high

I thought people might be interested in this news article from last year....

Norwood Primary School principal David Loveband reveals scams to enter children

• by:Amelia Broadstock Messenger Community News
  • May 18, 201311:30PM

• TELL US: How can this be stopped?

PARENTS are going to extreme lengths to rort strict school zoning rules by registering parks and relatives' homes in an attempt to trick their way into some of Adelaide's popular public schools.

The situation has become so competitive that schools are demanding property deeds as proof of residence and even visiting "dodgy" addresses to make sure parents are telling the truth.

And schools are also closing waiting lists because they can not cater for demand from students outside of zones.

Norwood Primary School principal David Loveband said people tried "all sorts of scurrilous scams" to get into the Osmond St school.

"I've had some use grandparents' residential addresses, ex spouse's addresses and even go as far as using the address of the park on the corner of Fullarton Rd," Mr Loveband said.

"We have actually had to go and visit a suspected dodgy address that was provided and the family did not live there."

A majority of public secondary schools in Adelaide are zoned and a student's place at that school is determined on their permanent or primary place of residence.

Public metropolitan primary schools will only zone the school if it has enrolment pressure, which many are experiencing. Students who live outside zones often have to join long waiting lists.

North Adelaide Primary School principal Stephen Marshall said the Tynte St school, which had not been able to accept new students outside its zone for many years, had experienced parents moving house just to get their children in.

"One North Adelaide Primary School family was two streets outside the zone so decided to move closer so they fell within the zone," Mr Marshall said.

"You do hear of other parents around Adelaide who rent within the zone for a time to get their child into a school." Prospect Primary said it now requires parents to show house deeds, rental agreements or recent utility bills to prove they live within the zone.

North Brighton's Paringa Park Primary School had to close its waiting list last year when it hit 100, while popular high school Brighton Secondary has a waiting list of between 50 and 100 throughout the year.

Harcourts Brock Williams director Michael Brock said demand was soaring for properties in the eastern suburbs as parents want to get their children into Marryatville, Norwood Morialta, Glenunga and Unley High schools.

"In just our office alone we've done over $15 million in sales in one week, with almost all from families looking to live in the (school) zone," he said.

A spokeswoman for Education Minister Jennifer Rankine said when schools reach zone capacity "arrangements are made to place the student at a nearby school until a vacancy becomes available".

Edited by Jessica Berry

Hi I work in Property Management and giving yourself a week to find a rental isn't long enough. I would suggest booking yourself in the hotel for longer. It all depends on what properties have Opens the week you are looking and then time to check your application form. ai thinkk it would be easy to find a Private rental but dipefinately with an Agency tends to take longer then a week. Just thought I would let you know. I can check what we have available and dates also.

Guest ScotsGlider:)

We moved here in Oct from Scotland and our son starts Brighton High next week for year 12. It's a fabulous school with a great reputation. It's not completely free. You do pay some fees. You have to pay for subjects taken/chosen & a start up fee which is around $2000? I've to go to the school tomorrow to make payments, so can update you on total amount? We live in Glenelg & it takes 10mins for my son to cycle along the promenade to school, which is very safe and easy to get to.

You definitely have to get a rental for 12 months minimum though, in the catchment area or you won't be entertained. There are a lot of lovely apartments/units/houses on the rental market just now in the area. Rentals from $250 per week for 2 bed.

Hope that helps?

Carole