location, location, location

kelbert

Hi all. We are in the process of applying for a 189 visa. I'm a nurse and OH is an aircraft engineer. A lot of his work would most likely be based around Parafield. Can anyone suggest nice suburbs within commutable distance and good secondary schools? We like Port Noarlunga but not sure if commute would be too much?!!!!???? Any advice/help appreciated.

Guest Guest75

Hiya

Parafield is a long,long way from Port Noarlunga, it's a heck of a commute.

Too far for everyday.

You might want to start off in Port Noarlunga when you arrive as it is lovely but you will find that settling on the Northern side of the city will make life much easier................. I'll step aside now and let the "northerners / Easterners and Westerners" share their views.............

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Kelbert!

Those 2 places are about 50 km appart, one south of the city and one north, not sure how long the drive would be tbh but i would guess over an hour if no traffic! So may be a no no. Parafield is north of the city so might be better looking north, although i don't know much about suburbs up that way but someone more in the know will be able to tell you more!

thanks guys for your responses. my OH has been commuting 70 mile each way to get work recently so it seems quite tame but obviously we would love it if he only had a half hour commute. Part of the reason we are emigrating! So please feel free to recommend places. Ideally not too far from coast. :)

Lefevre Peninsula might be suitable. It's on the coast but there is an expressway connecting the Port to the northern suburbs. I used to drive from Ethelton to Para Hills West a couple of days a week and - provided the expressway wasn't full of road repairs - the drive was about 15-20 minutes staying within the speed limits.

There are some local real estate agents that have their business on the Peninsula which might be able to assist.

http://raywhitesemaphore.com.au/

http://www.century21.com.au/semaphore/

or just

http://www.realestate.com.au/find-agent/in-port+adelaide,+sa+5015/list-1

I had lunch in semaphore yesterday and my partner and I were just saying it would be a nice place to live.

I work in the northern suburbs and that was the only real place north if the city we would have considered. There are nice places east too, but we were thinking if the beach.

A guy I work with is commuting from port noarlunga at the moment and it's taking about 1.5 hours.

If good high schools are your priority, I would perhaps sacrifice the wish to be so near the beach and look more to the east. The beaches are still only a short drive away, and let's face it, the kids go to school year round whereas the beaches are only a really big draw for half the year imho :biggrin: