Rental quandary

Bubbl

Hi everyone - we arrived on Thursday and having (I presume the normal) ups and downs! We were supposed to stay in our short term let for two months but on arrival it is not that great and very expensive and so we have reduced it to one month.

My problem is that I don't know whether to go for another short term let or go for longer term - I'm just a bit worried about the expense of it all - buying furniture etc. and thought the extra time would be better to find jobs.

I don't know - maybe it's because I'm jet lagged - I just can't seem to decide what is best!

Guest RH Glenelg

There is lots of longer term rentals available at the moment giving you more choice. This may change over the next few weeks as we get closer to the colder weather. You can pick up great second hand furniture from various places and cutlery etc from shops fairly cheap which will get you through until your stuff gets here.

Certainly a month should be plenty of time to find somewhere longer term to rent. Give yourself a few days to get over the jetlag, then start looking in earnest to decide which sort of area you want to be in, speak to the local agents to get details of Opens, or get Wednesday's or Saturday's local paper, and you should be able to find somewhere. Op Shops (charity shops), garage sales, and kind people on here are a good source for temporary furniture. Chin up, the first few days are always tough, you'll get through it.

Guest Guest75

A month is a good average stay in our rentals. Most of our guests find long term rentals during that time - unless they want something very specific.

Don't overload on the worrying !!!!!

Also it's not probably that long until your things arrive , other people in this situation have bought a cheap plastic outdoor setting and used that inside for their table and chairs and some blow up mattresses for beds , floor cushions to sit on.

Ah that's a great tip with plastic furniture - thanks so much!

A month is a good average stay in our rentals. Most of our guests find long term rentals during that time - unless they want something very specific.

Don't overload on the worrying !!!!!

Thanks for the info - I'm such a worrier!

I'll try to chill out and enjoy it a bit! :o)

Good luck and others have said take a couple of days and just get looking securing a longer term rental is not has hard as it sounds. Go and look at lots as some may not be as nice on the pics and be ready with your id to put in application there and then. Most agents are really good at helping with this if your not sure :-)

Welcome to Adelaide it's a wonderful place :-)

Good luck and others have said take a couple of days and just get looking securing a longer term rental is not has hard as it sounds. Go and look at lots as some may not be as nice on the pics and be ready with your id to put in application there and then. Most agents are really good at helping with this if your not sure :-)

Welcome to Adelaide it's a wonderful place :-)

Ah thanks so much for the info - I will definitely take the ID - top tip! I'm loving Adelaide in the day - people have been so wonderful and friendly here - it's the early hours of the night when I can't sleep and just worry which is silly I know - hopefully jet lag will go so I can start enjoying the place properly! Thanks again - I really appreciate it.

Agree with the others. You should be fine to sort a longer term rental out in a month.

And yes, improvise for furniture till your stuff arrives. Or grab something on gumtree or check this forum to see if people are selling anything you need.

Drop me a PM if you are at a loose end or anything :)

Hi I know exactly how you feel we arrived in sept & had same problem with rental situation. We rented long term & had an air bed & garden chairs! It was like camping! Our container was delays and didn't arrive till December so we went to haggle at port noarlunga & bought a bed! Weve got spare kettle, toaster etc if you need anything pm me xx

Hi I know exactly how you feel we arrived in sept & had same problem with rental situation. We rented long term & had an air bed & garden chairs! It was like camping! Our container was delays and didn't arrive till December so we went to haggle at port noarlunga & bought a bed! Weve got spare kettle, toaster etc if you need anything pm me xx

Thank you so much- have sent you a pm :)

• 4 weeks later...