Adelaide’s most family-friendly suburb

Robbiep

Nice to see suburbs that so many of us live in that are rated so highly in Australia :)

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/aussie-home-loans-names-adelaides-most-familyfriendly-suburb/story-fndba8zb-1226847545559

ADELAIDE SUBURBS IN TOP 100 FOR FAMILY LIVING:

6 – Aberfoyle Park

9 – Belair

15 – Banksia Park

17 – Flagstaff Hill

20 – Highbury

33 – McLaren Vale

39 – Pooraka

44 – Happy Valley

48 – Aldgate

65 – Modbury North

95 – Hallett Cove

98 – Morphett Vale

I'm very surprised by the lack of fellow member comments on this one!

As a potential new resident looking at places/areas where to go to... this would play a big part in any decision.

Yet nothing beneficial from any other posters regarding SA suburbs!?!

Guest Carlislecaz

I have been here for 13years now and lived at Sheidow park for the majority of that time, great place ...close to the beach, I between Marion and colonnades shopping centre , and close enough to the city if you need to go which I rarely do..

having a change ATM and off down to dover gardens as my daughters older and needs good public transport connections...

I can't comment on the north of adelaide but the south is great ...

Kobi, I would ask specific questions if you want some info on good places to live - people have different needs so it depends what you are looking for and it will also depend on what job you do.......Adelaide is a pretty huge area - very sprawled by UK terms, and then you have all the regional towns.......

I can vouch for McLaren Vale but I specifically wanted to live semi-rural in a town rather than a sprawling suburb - each to their own and all that.

As a potential new resident looking at places/areas where to go to... this would play a big part in any decision.

Personally I would ignore things like this. If you read what they say the findings are based on it is things like house prices, block size, number of bedrooms and distance to facilities. Personally my idea of what makes a suburb family friendly has little to do with these factors and more to do with things like what the schools are like, what amenities are close by and how safe it is. What makes a suburb perfect for one person makes it a nightmare for another. That's not to say the suburbs listed aren't nice places to live but not everyone would want to live in one of them. The only suburb on the list we considered when we moved over was Banksia Park. We ruled it out because it is a bit too far away from the city and my mother in law for us and everything feels a bit too far apart for me. For someone else though it would be perfect.

When end deciding where to live I would decide what things are important to you (near the beach, city, hills etc, good schools within walking distance, busy or quite etc, etc) and how much you can afford to spend on housing then rule out anywhere that you can't afford and doesn't meet your criteria. Then wait until you get here and have a good look at all the suburbs that do meet your criteria. Some you will rule out instantly because they don't feel right. Then choose where to live from the places that are left.

I am not sure people are that noble, Kobi! It seems to me that people reply to threads for various reasons, including sharing info but really, what would anyone have to offer?

I think the article is based on what facilities each suburb could offer a family including house/plot sizes so there's not too much to add.

Although.....perhaps it's worth bearing in mind that most people would rate the suburb they live in (well, hopefully, given that you'd imagine they chose to live there!), that 'good' suburbs can have 'bad' streets, 'bad' suburbs can have awesome areas, that many people have only experienced a short snapshot of life in their home, and that once facilities have been appraised it comes down to opinion.

An example of this might be Aberfoyle Park. When we moved to the area the real estate guy told us that many people know it as an area with loads of electricity pylons /transmission towers - or whatever they're called - and that made it cheaper and less desirable. Yet it's rated Number 6 for family living.

It's all in the way you spin it!

:cool: LC

Guest Guest75

There are lots of comments all over the forum Kobi, use the "Search" facility top right or ask specific questions.

Hi guys

Thanks for the comments.

I didn't mean anything negative by my original post - just thought it was a good opportunity for some residents to either promote or not some of the suburbs mentioned or counter argue and give good examples of other possible areas to consider.

As you mention - one persons positive can be another persons negative, and there are always those who can spin things!

I've literally just booked this evening flights to Sydney onto Adelaide for myself and the good lady wife.

We arrive into Auz on the 13th April :-) here for 3 weeks for our first exploratory visit. Will then decide whether to follow up with a reccie so to speak. Wife has applied for the Visa/Perm residency etc.

I visited Auz with my parents around 15 years ago and have to say it was awesome.

We have 2 kids aged 6 & 8 so definately key factors for us are schools and then the family safe area to bring them up in.

I've posted a little about myself and family in the " unemployment reaches 10 yr high " thread under the jobs section.

But basically, the wife is a pharmacist and pharmacy manager and i'm a sales office manager in a technical sales office.

I'm 34, wife 36, We live in the royal borough in Berkshire, UK.

Kids in private schools ( i only have one kidney left to sell off and pay for fees ).

We do not need to move - but England in particular is a small Island that's definately starting to become very over populated and we want to give our kids a better future.

So if you have any suggestions of what areas to look at in terms of great schooling and suburbs to raise kids ( prefabably non private schools please - don't want the missus getting any ideas if you know what I mean ) it would really help.

I can give you an idea of budget if it helps but please PM me for this info if you can genuinely help ( and msg me on the forum to let me know if you have pm'd me! )

We have found this site really helpful and there are so many good posters on here who have taken time out to help others. So very much appreciated.

I should also mention that I've come across and read lots of posts by member 'Tyke' - certainly is a character and maybe i'll get to share a beer with you one day sir!

Guest Claire-n-tel
I should also mention that I've come across and read lots of posts by member 'Tyke' - certainly is a character and maybe i'll get to share a beer with you one day sir!
That proves the point that things can be given a spin to make them look great on paper.......i have to tell you, in reality Tyke is a bloody awfull character, best avoided at all costs:tongue::biglaugh:

I think this article is more of a “guideline” and works on averages and generalizations..

For example..

You might find generally..

Families like to own their own homes (offers stability, allows for modifications around the house, easier to have pets etc)..

The average size family (with kids) has 2-3 children, therefore the would need a home with 3-4 bedrooms..

The average size family home would need to be on a certain land size (you cant have a 3-4 bedroom home on a 200sqm block of land)..

Then would come the financial side of things, where…

The average family would be able to afford a certain mortgage amount. Remembering that having kids reduces the amount you can borrow as well as your disposable income (we all know that though)..

Based on what the average family can afford to buy AND what the average family would be looking to buy (3-4 bedroom home), you can then narrow suburbs down a bit..

Once you have suburbs in mind, you look at things like.. number of schools in the area, demographics, parks and facilities, shopping centres, closeness to beach, closeness to parents employment (generally being the city) etc.. It was these sorts of parameters (as well as the financial items i mentioned), which attracted me to the Aberfoyle Park/Happy Valley/ Flagstaff Hill suburbs.

So when you look at the list of Adelaide suburbs mentioned, you can see why they would appeal to the average family.

Of course, its not a “one size fits all”, but more of a generalisation based on averages