Arriving in Adelaide

Guest manenough00

Guest manenough00

We are a family of three, my wife, my six years old daughter and I. We intend to arrive in Adelaide in the middle of June on PR visa. I wonder if someone could give me some insight on renting an accommodation.

What could be the approximate rent of one/two bed room house/flat (furnished and non furnished). I prefer place near Prospect and North Adelaide.

How much would a car cost?

How much cash should I bring to live on my own without a job for three months?

Any other insider tips will come handy.

• 1 month later...
Guest NatalieJones

As an estimate I would assume that $500pw would be required to cover rent (unfurnished $250-300), insurances, fuel, utilities and shopping.

I live in the southern suburbs so I can not suggest anything North, Good Luck

G'day, manenough00: Regarding home rentals, I suggest you google 'real estate agents in prospect and north adelaide' and you'll find all the information you need to know about renting in those suburbs. As for the rest of your queries, I'm sure you'll get the answers from other PIAdders very soon.

If you come to Oz with an open mind, I'm sure you'll love it here. We do! x

Hi

Reading one of your posts, you were planning to fly to Adelaide in the middle of June. We are moving out at the end of July (I am a teacher and waiting for the end of term). I was wondering if you had any advice for us. I also have a 6 year old daughter, and wondered how your daughter has found the move.

Many thanks

Daviesfamily

Hi We are moving out at the end of July

Hi guys, you got someone meeting you at the airport? If not, I offer a free service to pick you up and take you to your temporary home. PM me if you want assistance.

Have a good flight. Doug.

Wow thats so kind of u I would like to get the same offer if possible I will be arriving on 30 th of July with my wife n 4 year old son although we still didn't find the accommodation let's hope some thing turns up the coming days.

Certainly the offer is open to you. Just let me know your flight number, time of arrival and where we'll be going. I'll pick you up at the airport and pack your luggage into a trailer fitted behind my Ford Falcon. You'll be home in less than an hour,I would guess, and in comfort as well. FWIW, I live south of the city in Morphett Vale.

Guest Guest75
We are coming to Adelaide in September the 27th. Would you guys pls post how you found your accommodation and how it suits you? I am still searching for a decent accommodation. But every rental requires an inspection first, which is not possible from overseas.

I'd be sooooo careful about trying to secure a rental if you are not actually here to see it!!

The pictures may look fantastic but you are honestly taking a great risk!!!

We are coming to Adelaide in September the 27th. Would you guys pls post how you found your accommodation and how it suits you? I am still searching for a decent accommodation. But every rental requires an inspection first, which is not possible from overseas.

People generally arrange a short term furnished let for a few weeks when they arrive. Then get to work looking to find a longer term unfurnished in that time. That means they can attend the opens, apply and so on. Being outside Aus it is risky taking a long term let unseen as they can be really dodgy, not in great streets and so on. And you are tied into a lease.

I'd suggest waiting till you are here to start looking at long term lets and focus on a short term option to get you started.

I know Dougm is a valued member of this forum, and people can vouch for him, but I really would never let a stranger with no insurance (like Taxis have) pick me up from an airport.

Its even worse when you have kids, how do you teach about stranger danger and then go foo with someone you have never met?

Maybe I am wrong but I think it needs pointing out that the internet is a way for people to be scammed and left hurt.

I know Dougm is a valued member of this forum, and people can vouch for him, but I really would never let a stranger with no insurance (like Taxis have) pick me up from an airport.

Its even worse when you have kids, how do you teach about stranger danger and then go foo with someone you have never met?

Maybe I am wrong but I think it needs pointing out that the internet is a way for people to be scammed and left hurt.

Whilst I understand where you are coming from it is a great shame that you have posted this pointedly at Doug, he does a great service here and the world need more like him, and it's a shame that we have to always think on the bad side. We do however put our trust and children to many strangers in life, and I am sure you do not check their insurances, and Taxi's are one as well as, private hire transport transfers, public transport, school teachers, cub/scout/brownie/guide leaders and other such clubs and associations and the list can go on. I suppose we need to make our own judgment calls and trust our instincts.

I have never met Doug, but my instinct says I would trust this man.

Usually you have to have police clearance to get many jobs, or when working with kids if you want to volunteer . Taxis all have licenses, cctv etc. These systems are by no means perfect but it does help protect us all, and catch wrong doers.

The word grooming is used a lot, and it's usually from people who befriend others on the internet.

I am not implying there is anything wrong with Doug, but I have no issue highlighting internet safety in this thread.

PS, I believe he is insured so long as he is not charging in any way, the passengers would be covered on his compulsory 3rd party, just hitchhikers aren't they really, or should we say new found friends, and we all help out our friends, don't we?

As he is advertising a service I am not sure he is covered, but I could be wrong.

The thing is you named Doug, without his name then the your post was good advice.

Regarding police checks and insurances how do you know if they are current, valid and /or relevant? again we put our trust into strangers either directly or indirectly.

I could safely assume Doug would have checked out things on the insurance side, if not he will now, or cease giving his generosity to others.

Ok, if I had started a thread with the same advice, people would have thought I was aiming it at Doug wouldn't they. I am using his service as an example of my concern. Not saying he is a concern.

The current police checks is a point I make all the time, I need one every year, but the day after I get it I can do something wrong but still have a current clear police check!

And if he and others do check insurance I have helped him and others :-)

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hmmmm.....re the insurance, if it is the same as the UK normal car insurance might not cover you, I know my brother had to get extra insurance to drive some of my nieces brownie troop on their outing.

The other thing is if people give a bottle of wine/small thank you gift etc that would be classed as payment. Insurance companies in general love nothing better than a way out of paying a claim.

Any time I have offered lifts to fellow pupils of my kids at either of their schools, I have been asked to show a copy of my insurance. Also, even as the manager of my son's football team I had to get police clearance, so Adelaidenow's points are very relevant in the world today. And the point about Insurance companies using any small detail to get out of paying up for a potential claim are also well worth considering.

Like most on the site, I have never met Doug, and I'm sure Adelaidenow's comments were not meant specifically about him and the service he offers: everyone has to judge for themselves and make their own decisions, but common sense should not fly out of the window just because you feel you 'know' someone from an online forum or chat room.

My wife Linda does voluntary work here, picking up kidney dialysis patients to/from home and hospital, the organization did no checks on Linda and they provide no insurance, on checking with our own car insurers, they advised that Linda was covered to do such on a voluntary no payment, we also had a concern about cover when on the initial and return trips to from home without a patient, but that was ok so both the passenger and the car was covered under our fully comp insurance. At one time we (Linda) also took in foreign students, we were covered on our normal house insurance, but no checks were ever made to ensure we had insurance, my wife had to have a police check and get a blue card, but I did not.

Also back in the UK I was involved with the Scout movement, I did not have any checks done on me and insurance was never asked about by parents or even by myself come to think of it, I believe there was an assumption made by many regards insurance, and I think that applies here in Aus too.

Regarding police checks I think we have all heard about people getting passed as OK though clearly they should not, and in fact these type of people will try and use the system to make them appear genuine so as to accomplish their own agenda, so should we put our trust in the system?

I still think it was, in this instance, wrong to include Doug's name in the post, as it could appear to be a name and shame.

Keith, you need a police check to sneeze in front of a child here. I assume you or your wife don't do any work, paid or voluntary, with kids at all in Aus?

You don't seem to get that I wasn't picking on Doug, but you keep mentioning him. This discussion has moved on to a more general one but you keep mentioning Doug. There is no need to.