Wanted- House with a pool

candt

Hi

We are looking to rent a lovely sunny house 3+ bed, with a pool. Prefer Hendy beach area as hubby work is in North Adelaide but can be flexible. We arrive in Adelaide on 1st July on a 457 and have temp accommodation until 21st July. Looked on all the websites but agents don't respond as we're not in the country yet ( I'm advised)

we have just managed to rent from the UK - we are lucky as we had a friend who lives in adelaide who was able to go and look at it for us, it was the first we looked at and the agent let us put our deposit down and its ours from 1st july. I think it very much depends on the agent - my friend who lives there moved a few years ago and managed to get lucky - found a rental and secured it from the uk. Think it is just a case of contacting the agent, explaining your situation and hoping for the best! Good luck!

You're not likely to be able to get a long term rental until you are actually here in person and can see the property or have someone you trust who can view the property for you. And I wouldn't recommend signing up to anything without seeing it either as it may not be as nice as portrayed in the pictures. Realestate.com.au is a good place to look for long term rentals, although the best places don't stay around for very long. Rentals are usually done by potential renters going along to an open inspection and then applying for the house if interested. Have a look on realestate.com.au to see if any opens are scheduled for when you get here and put them in your diary. Once you are here you can check the local papers for private rentals as well.

Thanks for replies, all are helpful :-)

NicF - totally agree with everything you have said. We wouldn't sign up without viewing in person. We do look on realestate and if the property is available after our arrival date we ask if we can arrange to view, trying to book viewings from the 4th July onwards but the agents do not respond?

Kooky- Well done :-) Your agent seems to be reasonable. I've emailed 3-4 on realestate but they don't respond. I explained that we're on a 457 (sponsored working visa) with excellent reference etc and nothing? Only want to arrange viewings

I think perhaps you should not ,mention the 457 part of your visa! On a 457 visa, if anything goes wrong (company goes bust, employee gets made redundant for instance) then you have a short time to find another sponsor or leave the country. A property owner would look at that fact and consider whether they might be left with a broken lease unexpectedly, and put you low down on their list of prospective tenants I'm afraid! Perhaps just say you have a visa to work and a job to come to...?

You don't arrange the viewings the agents run "opens" where anyone who's interested turns up and then puts in an application and depending on how many people are interested they'll let you know if you were successful so those houses you're looking at now would be unlikely to still be available to rent by the time you arrive in July. It's much quicker process here so the time you have in your short term accommodation should be plenty to find yourself somewhere.

Good luck with your move.

Agreed, it's totally different here. Most agents don't arrange viewings. They advertise a time for an open and loads of people turn up. When we were looking loads didn't bother to reply, to emails or phone calls (they'll phone you back when they are in the office, yer right!). Those who did arrange a viewing time then posted it on the Internet as the open time.

There are so many people turning up to the open they can be lax enough to not bother responding. It's a real pain in the bum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks :-) We live in Teignmouth & fly out a week tomorrow. The property sounds good so far, can I just ask a few question?

how much rent you pay?

My husbands job is just North of the city, regency park, regency road, how long would it take to drive there approx?

What is the nearest State high school? So sorry about all the questions

Personally, I would use the time you have in temp accommodation to look at rental properties and get a feel for an area once you are here, rather than committing to a rental while you are still in the UK.

Hi Jessica, your so right, we wouldn't commit to anywhere without viewing first :-)

I've been searching for properties to view and can't find many with pools so always glad to have them pointed out .

Hi Jessica, your so right, we wouldn't commit to anywhere without viewing first :-)

I've been searching for properties to view and can't find many with pools so always glad to have them pointed out .

Having a pool can increase your electricity bill quite a bit, a friend moved out of their rental with a pool because they were sick of high electricity bills/maintenance and another friend had theirs filled in for financial reasons, but if you/your children enjoy the pool and can afford it then why not.

We would agree absolutely with comments, it is difficult to get any perspective until your here and then you will need to refine those ideas. So certainly temp is best just get a car and see how it all works. Its not all black and white and easy to say its the same as UK, it can be similar but rarely the same....traffic flow, use of trams/trains/bus etc. But its an adventure that will take being here ,but still stands we are more than happy to answer questions etc. When you are here if this area appeals morethan happy to show you around.

We would agree absolutely with comments, it is difficult to get any perspective until your here and then you will need to refine those ideas. So certainly temp is best just get a car and see how it all works. Its not all black and white and easy to say its the same as UK, it can be similar but rarely the same....traffic flow, use of trams/trains/bus etc. But its an adventure that will take being here ,but still stands we are more than happy to answer questions etc. When you are here if this area appeals morethan happy to show you around.

That's is really nice, thank you. We need all the help we can get, never been to Australia and we don't know anyone in Adelaide.

So excited though. Will definitely be in touch :-)

You will find it hard to get a house with a pool in the Henley Beach area - they are few and far between and will probably cost you a fortune. There maybe more chance of a house with a pool in West Lakes or West Lakes Shore - handy for the beach and not too far from Regency Park. Blackwood is a lovely area but the commute to Regency Park might prove to be a bit of an ordeal, lots of traffic lights to endure, would depend on the time of day you were travelling.