Short term furnished rental Nov-Dec 2014 ?

Guest wen66

Guest wen66

Visa granted last week so now we need to forward plan.

Looking for short term furnished rental over Nov/Dec 2014.

Proving a tough one as most are either booked already or way to above our price range.

Any decent area considered as we plan to us it as a base, to reccie areas for longer unfurnished rent.

Or we could just book Nov and have a long term rent sorted by end of Nov? What's the market like over the holiday period?

Beginning to wonder should we stay in the UK for Xmas and move after...:(

Any input or advice gratefully accepted.x

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Wen!....November December and January are really busy here holiday wise, lots of people go away for long periods hence the reason you will have difficulty not finding accommodation.

I'm not sure what the rental market is like during that time but I would guess it might be fairly dead, also unless you have jobs you are coming to already be prepared that it is very unlikely that you will find one then so allow enough savings that your job hunt won't even start until February.

Being the holiday period everything gets booked out and can be more expensive.

And has been said the job hunting situation may be pretty pointless till after the Christmas period and even January are out the way.

I'd be more inclined to have Christmas in the UK, see family and friends and head over once the schools go back at the end of Jan.

Guest Guest75

I'd say that November would be OK as everything is still running but by mid December until late January it is holiday time here - don't get me wrong, Adelaide does not turn into a ghost town but the Christmas period does limit things a bit.

I think the good news is that there seem to be more long term rentals available now - at one time there was 0.05% vacancy!!

Visa granted last week so now we need to forward plan.

Looking for short term furnished rental over Nov/Dec 2014.

Proving a tough one as most are either booked already or way to above our price range.

Any decent area considered as we plan to us it as a base, to reccie areas for longer unfurnished rent.

Or we could just book Nov and have a long term rent sorted by end of Nov? What's the market like over the holiday period?

Beginning to wonder should we stay in the UK for Xmas and move after...:(

Any input or advice gratefully accepted.x

I don't know the reason but there has been a massive demand for furnished rentals for the end of the year. Enquiries started in January and I have been booked for these dates for months.

Anyone moving over at the end of the year and early next year would really need to secure an affordable home now before it's too late. At this time of year you will be competing with interstate visitors and the holiday rentals charge peak rates for these periods. The longer you leave it the more expensive it will become. Chalets in caravan parks can easily cost you $200 per night once you factor in the additional charges per person.

The best time for budget rates for furnished rentals is after March. They call it Mad March over here as we have lots of events in February & March where Adelaide is quite busy with tourists. November might still be ok but once the school holidays start it gets busy.

Guest wen66

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. Putting our own house up for rent in the UK in Nov and OH contract finishes at the same time, hence the timescale.

But am in two minds as to get over for November, or January. Understand the job situation but we should be relatively self sufficient for a few months, to allow time to settle somewhere and job hunt.

Under no illusions that it's going to be an easy ride, definitely will be a challenge:eek:

:smile:x

Guest Guest12727

I thought I had posted, perhaps someone complained and it was removed, or maybe I just didn't save it, so I will try again.

I was browsing furnished rentals recently and came across these furnished properties on real estate.com. I am not advertising, just providing advice. I have no personal connection to these properties.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-west+lakes%3b+semaphore/list-1?keywords=furnished&source=refinements

I have no idea what they cost but as they say available for up to 3 mths you can possibly negotiate a good price if you want 2 months.

Great locations along the beach for summer.

Guest Guest75
I thought I had posted, perhaps someone complained and it was removed, or maybe I just didn't save it, so I will try again.

I was browsing furnished rentals recently and came across these furnished properties on real estate.com. I am not advertising, just providing advice. I have no personal connection to these properties.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-west+lakes%3b+semaphore/list-1?keywords=furnished&source=refinements

I have no idea what they cost but as they say available for up to 3 mths you can possibly negotiate a good price if you want 2 months.

Great locations along the beach for summer.

Just out of interest I did a search for Seaford way............ there is one apartment on the sea front , 4 bed and yes does sleep 8 but $2200 peak and summer holidays!!! $1200 PW off peak!:swoon::swoon::swoon:

Just out of interest I did a search for Seaford way............ there is one apartment on the sea front , 4 bed and yes does sleep 8 but $2200 peak and summer holidays!!! $1200 PW off peak!:swoon::swoon::swoon:

I am pretty sure that they are catering for the tourists rather than those who are migrating who have a more limited budget. And it must be the "Yorkshire" in you because for 8 people (off peak) that is only $21.50 per person or $170 a night.

Guest wen66

Short term rental sorted..phew!

Cheers Tyke:jiggy:.

Now on to the next step....

Looking for longer term rental there after, any recommendations/advice on areas to be, will be most welcome.x

I'd wait till you are here and then see what appeals. Also where you end up working may impact on where you choose to focus on looking. We hoped to stay around the Warradale area but after living in Glenelg for 7 months we'd had enough of the built up feel, traffic, lack of scenery and other things. So headed up the hill where it's quieter and more spacious. :)

If it's just 2 of you it's different to if you are a family with kids and the school considerations.

Personally Hallet Cove and anything further south down the coast is too far south for me and doesn't appeal in the least. I prefer being closer to the hills, more inland as like the trees, wildlife and hills over the coast. I don't really know north at all. A few trips that way for stuff but not paid attention really. Eastern suburbs are nice but pricey.

Edited by snifter
typo

Guest wen66
I'd wait till you are here and then see what appeals. Also where you end up working may impact on where you choose to focus on looking. We hoped to stay around the Warradale area but after living in Glenelg for 7 months we'd had enough of the built up feel, traffic, lack of scenery and other things. So headed up the hill where it's quieter and more spacious. :)

If it's just 2 of you it's different to if you are a family with kids and the school considerations.

Personally Hallet Cove and anything further south down the coast is too far south for me and doesn't appeal in the least. I prefer being closer to the hills, more inland as like the trees, wildlife and hills over the coast. I don't really know north at all. A few trips that way for stuff but not paid attention really. Eastern suburbs are nice but pricey.

Thanks Snifter:-)

We're a family of 4. (two boys, 11 and 8) so schools are an issue. Not looking for the best school in the county...lol..just good ones where the boys will thrive.x

My brother in law had a house in Eden Hills. Unfortunately he had to sell as he relocated to QLD. Otherwise we'd be there!

Know we've got a busy time ahead......:-)

Guest Guest75

Yep ,wait until you are here, work and your actual perceptions when here will be the deciders.

You will actually find that a LOT of people do settle in Hallett Cove and south , the majority of our guests do ,so speaking from experience from 2007 when we started the rentals.

But do have a good look around the entire cross section of suburbs.

:cute:

Edited by Guest75

Eden Hills and nearby Blackwood, Coromandel Valley we really like too. Looked at a fair few properties around there. We ended up in a suburb not too far away :)

The thing we found when viewing properties and schools was it was often commented that there were a fair number of Brits in whichever area we happened to be looking in (from real estate agents like it was a selling point), or principals saying they had a fair few children from the UK at their school. People settle all over the city, the suburbs and towns a little further out :)

My sons last school he had another kid from the UK in his class. Other kids from UK were also in the school. In his new one there are also a fair number of British kids or kids from elsewhere overseas.

I'm sure once you are here and get a feel for things you'll find something that suits your family. I know our views on areas changed over the course of months. And along with a lack of decent properties where we first considered and over 6 months or so and viewing properties in over 14 suburbs (and checking more suburbs out as we travelled around in day to day life) we realised clearly what we did and didn't want from an area. Our want and wish list changed quite a great deal and I am glad we had the time to weigh things up. The toughest part for us was ensuring that if we moved areas that we were in an area with good school options. I'd not have wanted to put my child through the upheaval of a new school again if it was like for like or worse. It needed to be a better school and offer more, which his new school, IMHO does.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a good idea to stay in holiday rentals, because hotels and lodges are very costly. While booking any holiday rentals or short term accommodation, you should be careful because there are many scammers can be found in this business.