Landing in adelaide on 14th September 2014 - finally!!! Short term rental required

minimel2710

After a massive 4 year wait for our visa, we are finally moving to sunny australia!!!

We are a family of 4 (2 teenage kids- oh joy ;) and are looking for a short term rental, for approx 4 weeks whilst we decide where we would like to settle. Ideally we would like to stay somewhere close to CBD initially which will be helpful whilst hubby is looking for work. I've looked on the estate agent sites but it's my understanding that these are minimum 6 months contracts and you need to view the properties before you secure them. I guess we are looking for a holiday home...? Can anybody offer any help or point us in the right direction? We've also tried airbnb but this hasn't been particularly successful...

any help is greatly appreciated.

we are feeling SO incredibly happy right now!!! :jiggy:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest12727

Try Stayz.com.au, Takeabreak.com.au and look at The Shores holiday park for cabins.

Good luck

edit. Prices are per night but you can normally neg a lot better for a longer stay

Guest vikkiann

You could try Kim at Acacia rentals, she owns 3 holiday homes but 2 are in Moana and 1 is in Seaford, you could hop on the train from Seaford and be in the city 45 minutes later.

She posts on here as The Damms

You could try Kim at Acacia rentals, she owns 3 holiday homes but 2 are in Moana and 1 is in Seaford, you could hop on the train from Seaford and be in the city 45 minutes later.

She posts on here as The Damms

Thanks vikkiann. Funnily enough we looked at her properties a while ago. Think they may Be booked up but I will double check. Thanks :)

"we would like to stay somewhere close to CBD initially"

Seaford and Moana don't really fit your criteria as stated in your OP

I didn't ask for properties in seafood and moana. I simply said I had looked at her properties a while ago. I also said 'ideally, I would like to stay in cbd'

I don't really understand why you would comment on this post just to pick holes in it.. Especially as you had really helped me out by suggesting a website to try... Your earlier post was a lot more constructive... Just saying... :)

Check out this https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/adelaide?source=bb

:-) Oops, you have already. Sorry, missed that bit.

I found a few on there but they didn't suit our timescale. Stayz as well. Contact the owners re details/ prices etc. Some came back with better prices when I asked them.

Thanks wen. I'm having a bit of trouble on that website... It keeps crashing on me. Possibly because I am searching on my iPad. Will fire up the mac book in a bit and see if that works any better.

I'm waiting for a few contacts to get back to r.e accomodation. I'd really like to be booked up within the next 24hrs :)

Ive been following your progress, you lodged a few months before me and I was so glad when your visa came through :) it's exciting stuff isn't it!

Guest wen66
Thanks wen. I'm having a bit of trouble on that website... It keeps crashing on me. Possibly because I am searching on my iPad. Will fire up the mac book in a bit and see if that works any better.

I'm waiting for a few contacts to get back to r.e accomodation. I'd really like to be booked up within the next 24hrs :)

Ive been following your progress, you lodged a few months before me and I was so glad when your visa came through :) it's exciting stuff isn't it!

Thanks minimel, my head's in a spin. It was a long wait, most certainly. I hoped we would have an answer by April/May. Knocked my glorious plans back down to size. Can't sleep at night as my head is full of everything, yes, very exciting.

Definitely give both sites a good browse I found loads, just not our dates. We're booked for the first week in November. So much to do in 3 months!

Have you booked your flights yet?

Let us know how you get on. x

I didn't ask for properties in seafood and moana. I simply said I had looked at her properties a while ago. I also said 'ideally, I would like to stay in cbd'

I don't really understand why you would comment on this post just to pick holes in it.. Especially as you had really helped me out by suggesting a website to try... Your earlier post was a lot more constructive... Just saying... :)

I think many people who come to Adelaide don't really grasp the distances between the far out suburbs so I am sure Howde was just pointing that out in case you were under the impression that everything is close together! Where I live is about 20 minutes from the city centre, but Moana to me is 'weekend away out of the city' territory rather than easy travel in and out distance!

Guest Guest75
Curious, so, a 50 min train journey is too much? Anyone who commutes to London, not that crazy. In the grand scheme of things...:-)

As a really rough guide, the area of Adelaide's suburbs say from Sellick's Beach to Gawler is around the same footprint as London - but with a LOT less people!

Guest Guest75
That's not so bad, then, imho. Cheers, Tyke:smile:.

I should add that it will take a good couple of hours that drive from the furthest north to the furthest south points that - then there is the bottleneck of the city!

Guest Claire-n-tel

Driving distances here are very strange, hard to explain really but long distances seem much easier, we've often driven 6-8 hrs away for a weekend, but shorter distances always seem much further!

The he drive to Melbourne (750km) always seems much easier than to port Augusta (300km) ???? Maybe that's just me though! Go figure?!

Curious, so, a 50 min train journey is too much? Anyone who commutes to London, not that crazy. In the grand scheme of things...:-)

Its not just bear in mind it can get draining if relying on public transport or having to get to a train station 10 minutes drive from your house or some such to head into the CBD or further afield every day. Also in the heat that can be unpleasant also while waiting for the connecting bus/train etc. I know just waiting around for a tram on hot days for a few minutes gets meh, would not enjoy that daily in the summer on trains or buses (or trams lol). Sure plenty do so but it can take its toll.

Also although its not that far in to the CBD as such it really is nothing like London or greater London in terms of facilities, shops, restuarants and so on once you leave the CBD. Its suburban sprawl as you head out and away form the actuall city, far less people, far less of lots of things. Yes each suburb has its shops and facilities but there is little hustle and bustle outside of this once into the residential areas. I know when I first came over in 2004 I found it very disconcerting and didn't like it at all. I called it Stepford Wives land/living. I still feel that about it to some extent but also recognise the benefits to having a quieter area to live. Suburban I find is a very different thing here to suburban in the UK and while we live suburban here now it actually feels far more rural to me than it otherwise might if we had chosen a different suburb/area. But its still far further away from everything than our suburban home in England. I could walk to my local shops there in 2 minutes, had no end of pubs and restuarants to choose from within a 10 minute drive serving food till late. 24 hour shopping at the big stores within a 20 minute drive, a city centre I could be at within 25 minutes of leaving our small town after driving through countryside. Its different here and it took a while to get used to. I like it here though, make no mistake :cute: I got my head round suburbia here and its been good :smile:

Guest wen66
I should add that it will take a good couple of hours that drive from the furthest north to the furthest south points that - then there is the bottleneck of the city!

A bit like London, then. :D

I love driving long distance....although depends what you're driving:smile:x

Flights are all booked - leaving on the 8th September and having a cheeky 4 nights in Kuala Lumpur before we land in oz. We def deserve a little holiday. The next month will be spent finding someone to rent our home in the uk, Selling up the rest of our stuff and organising shipping/jobs/leaving parties/cancelling amenities etc etc. the list goes on... I'm sure you're well aware. :)

where abouts are you staying for your initial accommodation? X

A 50 minute train journey may not seem that bad when you are used to travelling that in the UK but you have to get from the train station to where you want to be in the city. Not an issue if your office is by the train station but if it's any distance then you are probably in for a long walk or a very slow bus trip. For most people it's actually quicker to walk from the train station to where they are going than it would be to catch the bus. And a 15-20 minute walk isn't much fun in 40c heat.

Adelaide is very much not London and feels very different. And commuting here feels very different to commuting in the UK. Google maps give some idea of distance but can't tell you what it feels like to actually travel on those roads.

We stayed at http://www.midwayapartments.com.au/index.html, when we arrived a couple of years ago. They are located at Kurralta Park, about halfway between the CBD and Glenelg. We stayed for five weeks until we had secured a long term rental. Close to the tram line and bus routes for getting into the city.

Good luck with the move

Ian & Julia

We stayed at http://www.midwayapartments.com.au/index.html, when we arrived a couple of years ago. They are located at Kurralta Park, about halfway between the CBD and Glenelg. We stayed for five weeks until we had secured a long term rental. Close to the tram line and bus routes for getting into the city.

Good luck with the move

Ian & Julia

Thanks Ian and Julia. I'm on it :) x

A bit like London, then. :D

I love driving long distance....although depends what you're driving:smile:x

Do you love driving long distances at 37 mph - or less - with a constant eye on your speedometer, and when you need to change lanes, having to be aware that as soon as you indicate and start to change lanes, the person in the inside lane will accelerate to close the gap, and traffic lights every few minutes, and speed cameras hidden in wheely bins, or police with radar guns hiding in the trees, and other drivers that think where three lanes merge into two this is a test of their manhood to see who will give in last, or other drivers who like to save a bit of fuel by slip-streaming you so close you can see in your mirror the whites of their eyes, or having to mentally plan your journey with as few right turns as possible onto main roads because there is minimal chance of anyone actually letting you out, or leaving a gap for you to get into even if their line of traffic is actually barely moving? Do you enjoy driving when it rains and the white lines in the middle of the road completely disappear so you have no idea where your lane begins and ends, no cats eyes in the city here, and of course so many other drivers who feel to turn their headlights on during the day is a sign of weakness, even when it is bucketing down, and the road is grey, the sky is grey, and hey, their car is grey too...

Do you enjoy a 50 minute public transport commute on a train with air conditioning that cannot cope in 40 degrees+ or when it's that hot and the rails buckle in the heat, having to catch a replacement bus service instead so your 50 minute commute ends up more like 2 hours, with the bus having to deal with all the above road driving issues?

Wouldn't you rather be at home 30 minutes after you finish work sitting on your veranda listening to the birds sing, with a glass of cold wine or beer in your hand, chatting with your OH or kids before they go to bed?

Perhaps I should add that I spent many many years driving into London from Essex, and commuting by train the same, and driving for an hour and a half from south to north in Adelaide or vice versa is ten times more annoying and stressful!