shared rental: 2 good to be true?

Pmckin14

Hi

We are moving out in Jan on a 489 sponsered visa and are initially looking at a house share to keep costs down untill we both secure jobs. We have spotted this site through gumtree

adelaidestudentbeachhouse.weebly.com/

There is a large bedroom with ensuite and walk in wardrobe, 2 living rooms, large garden etc in what seems to be a good location. The cost for double occupancy is $250 + 25 per week for utilities.

This seems quite cheap, the site seems legit but having seen horror stories of people loosing money on gumtree, is this what we would expect to pay for shared living?

Thanks

Guest Claire-n-tel

Not really up on shared rental rates so can't help there....but, calling it a beach house is a stretch of the imagination it's in glengowrie!

Guest Claire-n-tel
Oh really, I wont be stepping out to a sandy beach then:biglaugh: Its hard to judge these things looking on a map. Will continue my search, don't think anyone will be able to guarentee rooms untill closer to the time anyway. Thanks

Tee he he!....not unless you have really long legs!

Something like this might work?....http://m.realestateview.com.au/properties/rent/7348740

haha at 5ft 2 its a definate stretch of the imagination. Thanks for the link, wow didnt think I could get something to ourselves so cheaply in this area. Im sure thers big demand for it but good to see there is that options. Ive gone through every option from getting a campervan, to airbnb to house sitting, to a shared house, all since getting the grant on Friday lol.

I think our best bet then is to get some sort of short term let guarenteed for the first few weeks, then look at something more longterm whether that be a houseshare or a rental of our own, as ive read its hard to secure rentals untill where actually there.

And I thought the visa was stressful lol!!!!!!

Guest Guest75
There are LOADS of scams on Gumtree with rentals. Just watch out for ones wanting money sent to them etc.

Yep, it can be horrible. Being "In the trade" I've heard a lot of awful stories.

Even happened to a friend of mine in reverse - some piece of scum used her details and photos of her furnished rental to try and scam money out of folk.

I don't think that rental price is too good to be true - but it's not a beach house. Prob only a 5 minute drive to the beach, but definitely not on the foreshore!

I found my room in a rental house on gumtree when I first moved here - an awesome old villa in Glenelg, ten mins walk to the beach with 5 others. I had a crazy, fun, amazing 18 months living there - so whilst there are horror stories, there are also good news stories!

Have you considered Help X?I think you pay a small charge of $20 for access to contact details,but it works like this.....Once you register and pay the fee,"hosts"asks for people to help out on their properties.This help could be anything from cooking,manual outside type work,decorating,gardening,and so on.You agree to work say 5 hrs per day 5 days a week,and in exchange they offer you free accommo and food,some even offer use of a car if its somewhere out in the boondocks.Some stays could be as short as 2 weeks,some for as long as 6 mths.Some even offer paid work if you;re a good worker ect.Ok most of these places are rural,but I have seen some within the burbs.Its not permanant of course,so eventually you would have to move on,but I think its an excellent opportunity for those without kids to have somewhere free to stay when you first arrive and it gives you time to get organised and find your own place.Woofers is a similar site as well if you'd like to have a nose at that one!

haha at 5ft 2 its a definate stretch of the imagination. Thanks for the link, wow didnt think I could get something to ourselves so cheaply in this area. Im sure thers big demand for it but good to see there is that options. Ive gone through every option from getting a campervan, to airbnb to house sitting, to a shared house, all since getting the grant on Friday lol.

I think our best bet then is to get some sort of short term let guarenteed for the first few weeks, then look at something more longterm whether that be a houseshare or a rental of our own, as ive read its hard to secure rentals untill where actually there.

And I thought the visa was stressful lol!!!!!!

There are loads of small units for rent in Glenelg similar to the one Claire n Tel linked to. Honestly, although there is a busy market for the suburb, there is always something coming up available. I know someone had to have 3 or 4 opens for their 1st floor unit in Glenelg recently (only 2 mins walk from the beach and about 5 from Jetty Rd). And it isn't a horrible apartment or anything. Just took a few viewings to get someone. Was let privately not via an agent and I think they were a bit more picky on the tenant so hung out to find the one they felt comfortable with.

I'm sure you'll find something. A short term option for at least a couple of weeks is good. Anything from house sitting to campsites to a youth hostel to a short term rental unit would maybe suit if its just two of you.

thanks for all the advice guys, good to hear that there are rentals coming up all the time in this area so hopefully with perseverance well be able to get something. There is only the 2 of us and were not too fussy, once we get jobs and have a bit more disposable income we can upgrade :notworthy:

Think we will just get a short term let for the first few weeks, and hopefully get something more secure once we arrive and can actually speak to people and view houses to make sure they actually exist!!

Flights booked today: 3rd Jan: 2 weeks initially in queensland to visit my family then 17th July HELLO ADELAIDE:jiggy: