Obtaining a Rental Agreement prior to arrival in Australia

mac

It's very difficult to secure a long term rental from overseas and unless you have been here before and know which area you want to settle in and have someone you trust to view houses for you I wouldn't do it. Get yourself a short term furnished place for two or three weeks and find something then.

Hi

we looked into it and tried but anything decent is taken by those already there

i suggest get a holiday rental and then look while your there which is what were doing

there are some on here ie tyke who have resonable accomidation unfortunatly the were booked for us so book in advance

regards

You may want to come a bit later January is a busy and expensive time for holiday lets and quiet for long term lets.

we delayed our trip till beg Feb and still struggled, although we based ourselves in the city. We wanted to arrive mid jan for the Tour Down Under but couldn't find accommodation in the city.

Then there is the fringe, WOMAD, CLIPSAL etc etc, a great time to be in Adelaide but........

Guest Guest75

I agree with all above. It is very risky even if you could do it.

Most reputable agents will not let out to you until you arrive.

Some of the properties advertised have had some "creative" photography so say the least.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, We are looking to move next April. Would like any info on the below a) Would we be able to find a long term rental within 2 weeks? (I have narrowed down a couple of areas we would like to move to) b) How easy it for new immigrants to get home rental without being emloyed (as I would imagine it would take a few week to find the correct Job.

Thanks in advance

I agree with all above. It is very risky even if you could do it.

Most reputable agents will not let out to you until you arrive.

Some of the properties advertised have had some "creative" photography so say the least.

It's also a good idea to have a look at who your neighbours are. There are bad roads in good areas. There are also rat runs where people avoid traffic by using side streets. Beware of scams as well. if someone has been in business for while and has an ABN (Australian Business Number) your payments should be safe.

A 6 month or 12 month lease next door to a bunch of undesirables is a very long time indeed.

Just my two cents worth.

I think it is doable, if you have got realistic expectations. Finding something with "dream" in description - would be like winning the lottery, but avoiding awful pitfalls is not that hard.

First, psychology of undesirables is quiet simple. They gravitate to crowded areas (easier to steal, deal drugs, etc) and pockets with low price tag.

Adelaide's South (Port Noarlunga South, Seaford, Moana - they are not that crowded by definition).

After the completion of Southern Expressway they became within easy reach of CBD (between 26 minutes and half an hour in normal traffic with no speeding).

You can hedge your bet even further. For a few extra dollars (actually for the same price as inner suburbs) you can get quiet decent house on the waterfront (Esplanade). You will be hard pressed to find undesirable neighbours in such locations, as well as the rat runs and so on.

Usually people hunt for less expensive properties in these areas, so Esplanade houses relatively easy to get - although I am not sure about January.

Guest Claire-n-tel
Just my two cents worth.

I think it is doable, if you have got realistic expectations. Finding something with "dream" in description - would be like winning the lottery, but avoiding awful pitfalls is not that hard.

First, psychology of undesirables is quiet simple. They gravitate to crowded areas (easier to steal, deal drugs, etc) and pockets with low price tag.

Adelaide's South (Port Noarlunga South, Seaford, Moana - they are not that crowded by definition).

After the completion of Southern Expressway they became within easy reach of CBD (between 26 minutes and half an hour in normal traffic with no speeding).

You can hedge your bet even further. For a few extra dollars (actually for the same price as inner suburbs) you can get quiet decent house on the waterfront (Esplanade). You will be hard pressed to find undesirable neighbours in such locations, as well as the rat runs and so on.

Usually people hunt for less expensive properties in these areas, so Esplanade houses relatively easy to get - although I am not sure about January.

TBH notpom I think the undesirable neighbours is the least bit you need to worry about....

Guest Claire-n-tel
Whatever. Share if you are in the know - please do not be so shy. Just thinking - what is actually is that in Glenelg that we can't get in the South?

Congestion? Crime? Lack of parking? Extraorbital prices? Noise? Pollution?

Um.....if this is directed at me then get off ya blooming high horse, I was not referring to the areas but of the pitfalls of obtaining a long term rental from overseas.

As already mentioned, knowing that the place that you rent is not next door to "undesirables" is the least of your problems when you take into account other possible scenarios, ie the place doesn't not really belong to the "landlord" and you get ripped off completely, the photos look great but are not a true representation, etc etc....

Those things do and have happened, there are members on here who have personal experience of them

I am not interested in getting drawn into one of those my area arguments, it is very boring and been done to a death.

Um.....if this is directed at me then get off ya blooming high horse, I was not referring to the areas but of the pitfalls of obtaining a long term rental from overseas.

As already mentioned, knowing that the place that you rent is not next door to "undesirables" is the least of your problems when you take into account other possible scenarios, ie the place doesn't not really belong to the "landlord" and you get ripped off completely, the photos look great but are not a true representation, etc etc....

Those things do and have happened, there are members on here who have personal experience of them

I am not interested in getting drawn into one of those my area arguments, it is very boring and been done to a death.

Ok.

Esplanade is the place own by people with substantial means. Rundown properties there are fairly rare.

If there is an 8 years old in the house they usually easy recognise nice photoshop work.

Ask an agent to walk you through the house using Skype.

Online search in the LTO would show you who is the owner, while I do not understand why anyone would be possessed to rent or rent out not through the licensed property manager.

Listings on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au get vetted pretty thoroughly - this is statutory requirement. Renting through the property manager guarantees that you get everything law entitles you to.

If talking about Glenelg - I can talk non stop for weeks about surprises you find there even sight seeing the property. It was and is a Klondike for DIY renovators, and you can get such a "creativity" over there you can not imagine.

I'd be wary of renting anywhere longterm until you have (a) seen the place for yourself and (b) found a job and know where you will be commuting to on a daily basis. For example, when we arrived, we adored the village of Houghton in the hills, and loved the village green atmosphere - but the thought of our kids when they hit their teens driving up and down the gorgeously scenic but very twisty turny roads to and from there after a late night out made us reconsider.. These are things you can only really make a judgement on when you see the places for yourself, and not just from internet research.

Also if you decided to go on the recommendation of a complete stranger on the forum, and rent a place in Port Noarlunga for example, then found your dream job in Gawler (or vice versa), you might look at the map and think - hey, that's not so far! - but then after driving it a few times and experiencing the joys of multiple traffic lights, frequent hidden speeding cameras, and the joys of the otherwise-lovely Adelaide folk when they get behind the wheel of a car - you might live to regret your decision!

I know short term accommodation can look expensive, but sometimes it's better to just bite the bullet and give yourself a bit of time to decide where you want to live longterm. Renting longterm in the wrong place then having to pay for the costs of breaking a lease would quickly outweigh the costs of taking the time to choose a place that's right for you and your needs.

Guest Guest75
Whatever. Share if you are in the know - please do not be so shy. Just thinking - what is actually is that in Glenelg that we can't get in the South?

Congestion? Crime? Lack of parking? Extraorbital prices? Noise? Pollution?

I feel that Glenelg is an altogether different proposition to the Southern suburbs. I cannot be compared "Like for Like".

There are plus points that do appeal to people such as the proximity to the city with easy transport. living in a vibrant area.

We have been here now for nearly 3 yrs we secured a rental with raine & Horne before we left the UK and we are still on it and have no intention of moving so the answer to your question is yes you can do it before you leave the UK ? at we had no problem had great help and advice from them all the way . We got the key the day we arrived moved in week later , saved heaps of money by not renting expensive holiday lets spent first week ant woodcraft caravan park .

Guest Guest75
We have been here now for nearly 3 yrs we secured a rental with raine & Horne before we left the UK and we are still on it and have no intention of moving so the answer to your question is yes you can do it before you leave the UK  at we had no problem had great help and advice from them all the way . We got the key the day we arrived moved in week later , saved heaps of money by not renting expensive holiday lets spent first week ant woodcraft caravan park .

Just looked at Woodcroft Caravan Parks rates, based on 2 people (extra for more) it is $135 per night. Discounting for longer stays.

http://www.woodcroftpark.com.au/8065/Rates/

This is for a cabin.

Most furnished rentals (full house) are around the $700 Per week ,discounting for longer stays.

I'd be wary of renting anywhere longterm until you have (a) seen the place for yourself and (b) found a job and know where you will be commuting to on a daily basis. For example, when we arrived, we adored the village of Houghton in the hills, and loved the village green atmosphere - but the thought of our kids when they hit their teens driving up and down the gorgeously scenic but very twisty turny roads to and from there after a late night out made us reconsider.. These are things you can only really make a judgement on when you see the places for yourself, and not just from internet research.

Also if you decided to go on the recommendation of a complete stranger on the forum, and rent a place in Port Noarlunga for example, then found your dream job in Gawler (or vice versa), you might look at the map and think - hey, that's not so far! - but then after driving it a few times and experiencing the joys of multiple traffic lights, frequent hidden speeding cameras, and the joys of the otherwise-lovely Adelaide folk when they get behind the wheel of a car - you might live to regret your decision!

I know short term accommodation can look expensive, but sometimes it's better to just bite the bullet and give yourself a bit of time to decide where you want to live longterm. Renting longterm in the wrong place then having to pay for the costs of breaking a lease would quickly outweigh the costs of taking the time to choose a place that's right for you and your needs.

Well said Diane.You have summed it up there completely.

Hi all. We will be emigrating in January 2015. How easy is to obtain a rental agreement for a property prior to arriving in the country? Will real estate agents off this and assist you in helping you find a property? Many thanks.

The simple answer to your question is yes you can secure a rental before you leave the UK its was easy . We did it and we asked the same question as you and guess what we got all the same negative comments , we researched the area we wanted to live in and went for it. Neither my wife or I had ever been to Adelaide before , So yes you can do it We Did it !! I am just saying you can do it a, as usual there are a lot of comments many of them negative from people who haven't done it .

Although the negative comments come from people who have seen really BAD rentals which looked great in the pictures. I went to one which was TERRIBLE. The real estate agent when we said to her how bad it was wasn't bothered as she said she had a South African woman and her son signed up to take it if nobody else did (without seeing it). This place had a fallen down green house in the middle of the garden. Full on broken glass everywhere which the landlord refused to remove and she was going to rent it to someone with a child! Not to mention the mould etc which you couldn't see on pics but it was most certainly there.

The simple answer to your question is yes you can secure a rental before you leave the UK its was easy . We did it and we asked the same question as you and guess what we got all the same negative comments , we researched the area we wanted to live in and went for it. Neither my wife or I had ever been to Adelaide before , So yes you can do it We Did it !! I am just saying you can do it a, as usual there are a lot of comments many of them negative from people who haven't done it .

You were lucky that the house you got was nice and you liked the area it was in. All the research in the world cannot tell you how you will feel about a place when you are here and if you end up with a long term rental that is a wreck in an area you don't like it could make you feel like you have made a massive mistake moving to Australia.

Of course you can find a rental if one is living o/s. It's not written in stone that you can't, however many agents will place an ad stating that prospective tenants must visit the accommodation first or verbally state these requirements upon receiving an enquiry. The brunt of rentals here are vetted by the real estate agencies. It has becomes costly for the landlord to find another new tenant should a present tenant wish to break a lease; also the agent and/or the property management company might lose a bit of cachet and consideration for the next lease renewal.

So, yes, it can be done but prospective tenants can have more of an uphill battle via this modality. I don't know if it's considered a negative rather than a mere real estate reality.

Of course you can find a rental if one is living o/s. It's not written in stone that you can't, however many agents will place an ad stating that prospective tenants must visit the accommodation first or verbally state these requirements upon receiving an enquiry. The brunt of rentals here are vetted by the real estate agencies. It has becomes costly for the landlord to find another new tenant should a present tenant wish to break a lease; also the agent and/or the property management company might lose a bit of cachet and consideration for the next lease renewal.

So, yes, it can be done but prospective tenants can have more of an uphill battle via this modality. I don't know if it's considered a negative rather than a mere real estate reality.

Nice one emmie that's exactly what we did with no problems .