Review and feedback for West Beach area for accommodation and schools

Amit Malhotra

You can research schools via this site

http://myschool.edu.au/

And this lists the 'top' ranked ones, both state and private combined. This is the primary one, the link to the high school one is on the page.

I don't really know it. Been around there a few times and it seemed ok but didn't grab me so didn't really look hard at it. Its under the airport landing and take off zone at one end iirc, out over the bay.

http://primary-school-ranking-adelaide-south-australia.street-directory.com.au/

A quick look at rentals on realestate.com.au doesn't seem to indicate its cheap price wise on the rental market. Seems about level with other suburbs only not as much choice as perhaps you might find in some of those.

Also consider any possible commute to work when in this area.

Guest Guest75
Less aircraft over west beach than glenelg.

Could be smellier though depended on which way the wind is blowing from the sewage plant............... It really stinks at times!

West Beach is a nice area in a very convenient location, close to the airport, HarbourTown shopping centre (which has a huge supermarket), Ikea etc. It does not have a lot in terms of shops but there is a small strip of shops including a Foodland supermarket, liquor shop, coffee shop etc, plus a good bakery and a landerette. West Beach has never had a pub but there is the Surf Club on the beach which does meals/breakfast/coffees etc. The beach has been eroded a lot recently, largely due to intervention by the authorities moving sand which to be honest has not been a good thing for West Beach. Along the seafront and Military Road the old 1960's housing is gradually being replaced with modern expensive beach homes which sell for well over $1million. Inland the housing is varied, some streets are expensive, some are still relatively cheap. Don't live too close to Tapleys Hill Road it is very busy! The old drive-in cinema was developed for housing about 15 years ago so there are some nice houses in that area but on smaller blocks. Henley Beach is 5 minutes up the coast, Glenelg is not far away either. There is smell from the sewerage works north of Glenelg but I wouldn't think that the smell would reach the residential parts of West Beach very often, if at all. I used to live at North Glenelg quite close to the sewerage works but it was very very rare to get any bad smells! The more southern parts of West Beach are affected by plane noise, and there is a flightpath to the NW of the airport for light (propeller) aircraft which can be noisy, but Adelaide airport is a relatively quiet airport in global terms. Altogether a nice suburb which is very desirable because of its location close to the city and close to the beach.

Guest Guest75
. I used to live at North Glenelg quite close to the sewerage works but it was very very rare to get any bad smells!.

It was a while ago since you lived there though, perhaps more poo coming through now??:biglaugh::shocked::swoon:

I drive up along the river to Glenelg from the Boat ramp regular, we call it the Million Dollar smell....:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
Is this something permanent - the smell

Definitely more in summer . Don't get me wrong ,most of the time it is not an issue but I would not like to have to keep my windows shut due to the smell. I'd drive through the area a few times to see/smell for yourself.

The Torrens river nearby can issue quite a stink in summer as well.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Amit:smile:

It would probably be a good idea when you move to rent a furnished short term let for a few weeks, have a list of areas and schools which you would like to look at and go and actually visit them once you are here. You will be able to get a feel for them and see for yourself what they are like.

The suburbs which you have said you want to move to are very far apart and all quite different. No one can tell you how you and your family will actually feel about a place.

good luck!

C :cute:

It was a while ago since you lived there though, perhaps more poo coming through now??:biglaugh::shocked::swoon:

I drive up along the river to Glenelg from the Boat ramp regular, we call it the Million Dollar smell....:biglaugh::biglaugh:

The sewerage works may well be bigger now than 20 years ago. When we lived in North Glenelg we were right on the seafront so the sea breeze probably played its part in keeping away the smells - it was always windy!! The boat ramp is quite a long way from the majority of the houses in West Beach though. In all the times I have been at the sports fields for kids sports I have never smelt the sewerage works either. The caravan park must get the smells quite badly though! Also you are right about the smell where the Torrens meets the sea, quite an eggy smell, so I wouldn't live too close to the river.