Good suburbs in Adelaide

JoeandCarrie

Hi :-)

The OH and I are looking to move over at some point in 2015 (we have just started our application for PR) and are looking for any suggestions on good suburbs to rent in Adelaide..I am a Children's Nurse and will be looking to work at The Women's and Children's Hospital which I believe is in North Adelaide. Our budget is about $500 per week and it would nice to be a close drive to the beach :smile:

Any suggestions much appreciated

Carrie & Joe x

Henley, Grange,West beach, West lake shores all western beach suburbs with easy access to city. Grange is a good spot as it has 2 train stations to get into the city, all have direct buses to the city. Womens and Children's is about a 10 minute walk from Adelaide railway station and Royal Adelaide is about 5 - 10 mins

Yup, the suburbs mentioned are ones to look at if you want beach access and work.

Fwiw, rentals are probably affordable for your budget in Henley and one or two other suburbs but buying would be a considerable chunk more.

Once you get here and get a feel for the layout you may want to look at suburbs a bit inland but still an easy drive to the beach. Unless you live within a few block if the beach, chances are you'll drive to it anyways, especially in summer.

The OH and I are looking to move over at some point in 2015 (we have just started our application for PR) and are looking for any suggestions on good suburbs to rent in Adelaide..I am a Children's Nurse and will be looking to work at The Women's and Children's Hospital which I believe is in North Adelaide. Our budget is about $500 per week and it would nice to be a close drive to the beach :smile:

Carrie & Joe x

After the construction of the two-way Southern Expressway the Southern suburbs have become the best value by a country mile. CBD within easy reach, no overcrowding, no pollution, no noise, much better shopping and infrastructure than anywhere else in Adelaide. For $500 a week you will get not a 2 bed townhouse, but a waterfront mansion and some change for petrol.

Few examples:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-port+noarlunga+south-414568675

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-port+noarlunga+south-407457973

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-moana-407986375

After the construction of the two-way Southern Expressway the Southern suburbs have become the best value by a country mile. CBD within easy reach, no overcrowding, no pollution, no noise, much better shopping and infrastructure than anywhere else in Adelaide. For $500 a week you will get not a 2 bed townhouse, but a waterfront mansion and some change for petrol.

Few examples:

Of course, if you are most likely to be working n North Adelaide, any of these locations will condemn you to many hours a week in a hot car, high risk of speeding tickets, and lots of exposure to the strange phenomenon that is a South Aussie behind the wheel of a car!

The above post is a bit like a response to someone who will be working in London being told to buy a house in Newcastle as they're really good value there!!!

Few examples:

Taste is subjective. None of those appeal to me in the least. The first one the rooms look tiny, view is from a balcony so where does that leave garden (if you want one) and nice views of a carpark before the water. The second, big house but if I was paying money to rent I'd want something with a less salmon dated kitchen, less wood panelled walls and a bathroom that doesn't look like a goldfish bowl :cute: The last house leaves me stone cold unmoved, its everything I don't like about a house. Of course, may appeal to others, but thats the beauty of it, we don't all want or like the same thing, same areas or same homes. As I said earlier taste is subjective and not everyone is going to agree with you nor should you expect them too. Its good to understand and appreciate that. Thankfully too its not about my wants/likes nor will those suburbs ever be for me. Happy where we are further inland.

Also, agree with the above from Diane, for access to north of the CBD the southern suburbs along the coast can be a heck of a commute day in day out. Some of the southern suburbs may be good value for money but if you have to spend a large chunk of each day in the car, have over an hour commute each way say and lose a chunk in childcare or some such, it may be more practical to live closer. Also could mean more family time and other things which some place importance on. I also think some of the more inland suburbs offer good value for money for those not wanting coastal living, everyone has different needs/wants, there is something for everyone I think :)

Taste is subjective. None of those appeal to me in the least. The first one the rooms look tiny, view is from a balcony so where does that leave garden (if you want one) and nice views of a carpark before the water.

Houses with three living areas do not have "tiny bedrooms". Car park is a trade off for the beach access just across the road. You are right, "taste is subjective" as Aesop have shown in 600 BC in his fable "Fox and grapes". Anything you can not reach for is sour.

Houses with three living areas do not have "tiny bedrooms". Car park is a trade off for the beach access just across the road. You are right, "taste is subjective" as Aesop have shown in 600 BC in his fable "Fox and grapes". Anything you can not reach for is sour.

Your opinion. Which I respect. Please respect mine in return. And others.

Your opinion. Which I respect. Please respect mine in return. And others.

Well,

Desire to live "close to work" rather than "close to fun" is an "opinion".

The fact that no one will build the house with tiny bedrooms while putting in three living areas and the fact that the bigger the car park at the beach - the better the beach is (BTW, Port Noarlunga South won "The cleanest Australian Beach" in 2011) is not the "opinion". It is called "reality".

Well,

Desire to live "close to work" rather than "close to fun" is an "opinion".

The fact that no one will build the house with tiny bedrooms while putting in three living areas and the fact that the bigger the car park at the beach - the better the beach is (BTW, Port Noarlunga South won "The cleanest Australian Beach" in 2011) is not the "opinion". It is called "reality".

And for some, the beach is fun to visit, not live by. We are not interested in beachside living, nor are many others. Hubby can't ride his bike on sand, I can't play tennis or cricket with my son on a beach either. We went to the beach for an hour on the other day, in the evening after a stinking hot day. I'd not have spent 5 minutes on it in the middle of a 38C day, its not 'fun' to bake on a beach on a hot day, at least not for us.

And work isn't a decider for us in where we chose to live, it didn't play a part as hubby works from home.

Honestly, you rave about Port Noarlunga and beachside living but its not for everyone. And most won't live across the road from a beach. For many they may live on the cusp of the suburb bordering with the next suburb inland, so its not really beachside living as you want us to think. Its suburban living with a drive to get to the beach. While I think Port Noarlunga a nice place, the shops there are good for a browse, I find it lacking scenery that *I* appreciate. Hills, trees, wildlife and more. School options were a factor in where we chose to buy and the suburbs you mention didn't have a draw for us in that department, at least not state school wise. Plus that big road (well, now two) running through or close to the suburbs there don't appeal either. I grew up in a coastal area in the UK, lived near one as an adult and its not important to me to live near one, not then, not now. I don't wish to spend my free time sitting on a balcony overlooking a carpark before the water. That isn't fun to me. Its boring as anything. I'd rather be out in my garden, pottering, relaxing, seeing all the wildlife in it and other things. If I want to go to the beach, I grab the beach bag and hop in the car and am there in 10-15 minutes.

There are plenty of other options for people that are not the southern coastal suburbs. The OP can investigate the more city based ones to see if they like them and also visit further out ones. They may even head more inland to a more central suburb if it suits, fair play, some lovely places nearer the city IMHO. Hopefully they will find something they like that suits all their needs. I think Henley and Grange are decent suburbs to consider as a starting point for them and many live there happily.

Anyway, let's get back to the original question in this thread. If you are most likely to be working North of Adelaide, and wish to be within an easy drive of the beach, have a look around Henley, Grange, Semaphore, West Beach. If you prefer somewhere off the plains and with a bit of greenery, then suburbs in the South East might tick your boxes, have a look around Aberfoyle Park, Hawthorndene, Mitcham - all within about 15 minutes drive to the beach. If you like modern housing and well manicured parks and a bit of a trendy buzz, Mawson Lakes or somewhere like Norwood may suit you (maybe 20 minutes to the beach), or if you don't mind a 30 minute drive to the beach and good public transport into the city and hospital area, check out the northeastern and eastern suburbs.

Always best to base yourself somewhere central to start with until you find out where you will be working, then make your decision from there.

Personally I think the city centre is one of the huge bonusses of Adelaide year round - for sports, culture, arts, comedy, music, the Central Market - so my choice of suburb would always be influenced by ease of access to that, wherever I was working! For my kids when they were younger it was great to be able to easily get them to and from clubs and activities, concerts at Elder Hall, cricket training at the Oval etc, (my daughter was in the top level of the Australian Girls Choir which meets in Kensington and I used to feel very sorry for those parents who had to drive their daughters for nearly an hour each way every week to that) and now they are older the proximity to the CBD means great work, study and leisure opportunities for them

Anyway, let's get back to the original question in this thread. If you are most likely to be working North of Adelaide, and wish to be within an easy drive of the beach, have a look around Henley, Grange, Semaphore, West Beach. If you prefer somewhere off the plains and with a bit of greenery, then suburbs in the South East might tick your boxes, have a look around Aberfoyle Park, Hawthorndene, Mitcham - all within about 15 minutes drive to the beach. If you like modern housing and well manicured parks and a bit of a trendy buzz, Mawson Lakes or somewhere like Norwood may suit you (maybe 20 minutes to the beach), or if you don't mind a 30 minute drive to the beach and good public transport into the city and hospital area, check out the northeastern and eastern suburbs.

Always best to base yourself somewhere central to start with until you find out where you will be working, then make your decision from there.

Personally I think the city centre is one of the huge bonusses of Adelaide year round - for sports, culture, arts, comedy, music, the Central Market - so my choice of suburb would always be influenced by ease of access to that, wherever I was working! For my kids when they were younger it was great to be able to easily get them to and from clubs and activities, concerts at Elder Hall, cricket training at the Oval etc, (my daughter was in the top level of the Australian Girls Choir which meets in Kensington and I used to feel very sorry for those parents who had to drive their daughters for nearly an hour each way every week to that) and now they are older the proximity to the CBD means great work, study and leisure opportunities for them

Actually, I do love the Adelaide CBD and parklands surrounding it. My husband lived there back when we first met, had a place a couple of streets from the Central Market and then only a short walk or hop the tram to Rundle Mall and beyond. I loved living there. If we were younger and without kids I'd have happily based myself in or around the CBD for a few years to get the most out of it socially. I'm always happy to spend time there and love the cafes, gardens and all the little hidden away places (pancake place, city library and some lovely little shops tucked away). Plus those lovely parklands to make use of or wander. You don't feel like you are in a city a lot of the time when out in some parts of them. And an easy hop on the tram to get to Glenelg if you want the beach anytime. I also love the older houses, the older town houses in the city too. Some gems there. And some of the eastern suburbs not too far from the CBD are fab (but pricey, esp if buying). I know though where we are at this point in our lives, where we have chosen to settle is right for us.

OP, Mitcham suburbs have plenty to choose from. Some lovely places round there. I do like it up round Blackwood, Belair and those suburbs. Norwood is lovely too, very popular. We are often over this way as its easy for us to get to and I prefer shopping in these suburbs than the rather souless local malls that many of the suburbs further out have. Not fun on a stinking hot day, but otherwise good. I was at the cinema in Mitcham the other day, great cinema (we have a great deal for tickets for $9 atm) and lovely mall of vibrant shops plus the bog standard ones there, plus the ones on street. And so close to the hills and easy access to the beach (via the Coromandel road is easiest I think but can go via the main roads with ease generally). We live the other side of Coromandel Valley and I do my food shopping locally but if I want to actually browse and enjoy my shop or am looking for a gift or something specific, heading to Mitcham, Blackwood or some place is always where I go.

Have you checked out realestate.com.au for rentals? So you can get an idea of what is available and where. Be aware, some rentals are shocking condition. Air con would be a must have for me. Plus some form of heat for the winter, even if its just a gas fire in the living room.

I work at the WCH and know many people who commute in from the hills, the south and the north as well as closer in. They like the areas they live in, but some have a 40 min drive just to reach the CBD, which if the lights are against you can take 20 mins to get through at peak times. Parking at the WCH is atrocious if you are on a late shift. The carpark is full by 8am and definitely full again by 12. The street parking is 2 hrs and although on a late you can get away with no parking fine, they do crop up and at $46 you dont want them too often. I would look for a community that has what you want for a home for your family. Some use the long drive home to wind down. For your budget there would be lots of different styles of houses to suit your family's taste. Living in a townhouse is no problem , easy to keep up, you'd just want a lot of local parks nearby if there wa only a courtyard out the back.

The best advice is to rent first , that makes it easy to have a good look at different areas and what your new life will look like, because it is not going to be a replica of your old one.

Carrie & Joe x

If you got work in North Adelaide then North Adelaide itself would be a nice place to live. Not sure how much rents are though, but worth having a look on realestate.com.au. As you haven't actually got work yet you can be fairly open about what areas you can consider as you may get work elsewhere. And if you did get work at the Women and Children's it is notoriously difficult to park around there and you may need to use public transport to get to work.

I'd second some of the suggestions on here already for places like Grange, Henley Beach, Semaphore and West Lakes. I'm assuming you don't have kids as you haven't mentioned them. If you are wanting somewhere quite then Grange would be ideal, or for somewhere a bit busier then Henley Beach. Or if you want somewhere with much more going on try Glenelg. Or even the CBD.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys thanks so much for the responses much appreciated and it has given us a lot more insight on areas to possibly reside in! We have become quite keen on seaton and surrounding areas (Kidman park) but have been told North seaton is an area to avoid at all costs is this true? We feel we can get a lot more for our money around these areas and its a good balance of closeness to hospitals and the beach. We have been constantly looking at realestate.com.au for ideas! It's such a big decision we just want it to feel right! Look forward to more replies guys :-)

Thanks Joe and Carrie

i find generally things are cheap for a reason. I don't know Seaton but I have found that if you see something that seems really good value, there will be a catch. Long commutes, tiny rooms, next to a noisy road, less than ideal neighbourhood etc

Although living right under the flight path in North Adelaide, Glenelg and Walkerville doesn't seem to affect prices too much, still plenty of million dollar properties there........go figure!

I have just managed to secure a job with a nursing agency so will be working in a variety of areas in Adelaide both community and hospital so it's hard to pinpoint what would be best work wise. Do love the look of Henley Beach and surrounding areas....thanks again for the comments and suggestions...keep them coming :-)

Carrie & Joe

As visit beach and city regularly so had to think about where to be. In the end close or even in city is where we will buy. Can always drive or cycle to beach and never have a problem parking for free. Parking in the city is not as easy and can be e pensive. Plus we I to beach in daytime and city for entertainment at night so don't want to drive.

There are lots of reasonable suburbs all within an easy drive of the beach and the city - Grange, West Lakes, Henley Beach, West Beach, Fulham Gardens, Fulham, Kidman Park, Flinders Park, Lockleys, Seaton etc. Grange and Henley are the most expensive, but all of these areas have pockets of nice streets and grotty streets so you really do have to look around carefully. There are some streets in Henley Beach which are worse than parts of Seaton, some nice areas in Seaton near the golf course which are nicer than Grange. North Seaton is definately a lower socio-economic area. There are some nice areas in Kidman Park and Lockleys near the river. Kidman Park, Seaton, Fulham Gardens have a high Italian/Greek population so you might not fit in so well with the neighbours if they are elderly and speak Italian at home. It so best to look around when you get here. Areaa like Thebarton and Torrensville are worth a look too, also Sempahore.

Thanks for the tips Anne B :-) on arrival we are staying with a friend who lives in West Beach so we are just trying to do a little research so on arrival things will be a little easier. Thank you all for your comments. :rolleyes:

Henley Beach overall is a nicer, more desirable and more expensive suburb than Seaton because it is near the beach and has some very up-market properties, but it really is on a street by street basis. You can get much better value living a little bit inland, it is still only 5 mins drive in the car to the beach but without the high price tag.

Have a look at these 2 properties, one in Seaton, the other in Henley Beach - they go against the stereotypes. In general if there are houses with cars parked on the lawn and lounge chairs by the front door, avoid the area!

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-henley+beach-113462967

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-seaton-118000419