Small holdings

cardmakerex65

Guest Guest75

We had a 2.5 acre smallholding for over twelve years in Onkaparinga Hills and loved it.

I also grew up on one.

Over here they are called hobby farms or just properties.

Hobby farms can have a tax advantage - you can buy vehicles cheaper with a tax allowance if you get Primary Producer status and discount on rates and other bits.

Hobby farms are much more available down south, normally starting at 2.5 acres then radiating out in increments of 5 / 10 acres.

Mostly "horsey" around Onkaparinga Hills - we had an olive grove.

You have to keep up to them, keep the grass down,maintain fences, keep bushfire safe.

Great for kids to grow up on though - we sold our old place to a family that wanted a "Lifestyle Property" to raise their kids on.

My daughter in laws family had a 40 acre farm in McLarenvale with olives and vines. We used to take the kids there all the time and our boxer (Dutchess) lived there when we were away...helped to keep the foxes away from the chickens...and lose a bit of weight running up and down after roos!

They sold it last year for $740.000. It was 10 minutes drive away from where we stay in Port Noarlunga.

The reason for the sale was due to TIME. There are many advantages of this lifestyle and it's one that I would love but it does require a lot of time and effort to keep things running well. They were always busy...mowing grass, repairing things, pruning etc.

There are smaller places though and it's a great lifestyle.

Thank you all so very much for your insight.

We have been wanting to do this for some time and we only want a small place. Enough to have some hens, a few cows, pigs etc.. and grow our own fruit and veggies.

As you know daughter wants to become a vet so having the animals to care for outside of the normal pets would be great.

I have looked down south and seen that it is more affordable away from the city, my only worry at the moment would be if hubby could get work down south rather than at the University where he is looking at the moment. Although self employed might well be an option.

Would love to talk more about the pros and cons.

Just waiting on this visa now before we can make any further plans.

Thank you.

'Down south' would be a pretty long way from Urrbrea school if she wanted to go there for HS. I recall it was suggested elsewhere as a good HS option for your daughter if she was interested in following the vet path. If its not a consideration then thats fine :)

I'd also look into the hills to the east/south east with regard to acreage. I don't know the price difference in terms of land from southish of the southern suburbs v up the hills. But places like Ironbank, Cherry Gardens, Mylor and the fringes of the hills spring to mind as having lots of properties with a bit of land. Also the back road from around Happy Valley way to Mclaren Vale is lovely. Kangarilla, Clarendon and other tiny towns, some lovely places out that way.

I do think a lot of the land, especially in the dry months and in summer is very poor to feed/sustain cattle and sheep on. Plus there is the water tanks/lakes for water use on the rural properties. A lot of places are just dust bowls. Its very brown and parched here atm. Of course, livestock do eat whats there to graze but you may well be supplementing their diet to provide enough feed for a chunk of the year if this sort of weather continues. I'd be looking for good grazing land for the acreage as my priority if I was planning to keep livestock on any level and then the fruit trees and veg to be grown in the garden closer to home and not on the actual acreage IYKWIM. Pigs would need good shelter from the sun as their skin would burn and in the heat they could suffer heatstroke. Even in the UK when we kept pigs, having the mud patch and them keeping dirty as it were, helped protect their skin and summers there were nowhere close to as harsh and hot with high UV as here. Here the heat and UV is savage.

Also look into rules and regs on keeping livestock, especially cattle as they may well be expensive to upkeep. If you plan to use them for meat there may be a whole raft of paperwork and more stuff to go with this. Having lived on a 2500 acre farm in the UK I know the amount of paperwork and costs that arise from farming, albeit on a much larger scale. However, even a few head of cattle can be an expense.

I did find this site which might be a good one to read http://www.mla.com.au/Home

There is also this, about registering http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/biosecuritysa/animalhealth/identification_movement/property_registration/frequently_asked_questions

I did also find this site http://farmstyle.com.au/ It had blurb about if considering going into a hobby farm I found a good read http://farmstyle.com.au/news/escape-rural-lifestyle-buy-hobby-farm

Snifter you have been such a support. Thank you.

Yes we are considering the agricultural school for her and of course they are in different direction to the small holdings down south.

So will need to do a lot of research before we make any concrete plans.

Thanks for those pointers. Will save them and have a really good hunt around.

Snifter you have been such a support. Thank you.

Yes we are considering the agricultural school for her and of course they are in different direction to the small holdings down south.

So will need to do a lot of research before we make any concrete plans.

Thanks for those pointers. Will save them and have a really good hunt around.

If you are considering Urrbrea then I do suggest you look to the east/south east up in the hills and the towns and small communties that lie out that way. Not the towns like Stirling or Bridgewater as they are bigger, but the smaller places, towns with a population of say 200 or a few more :cute: Access to Urrbrea would be across country then dropping into the outer fringes of the city to get to the school. And avoiding most of the main roads in rush hour.

Flinders ands Urrbrea aren't a million miles from each other in the grand scheme of things. I agree with Snifter that the South East, around Mylor and surrounding areas, would be a good place to look. If you go on to realestate.com.au and search for acreage in Mylor and surrounding suburbs quite a few places come up. I've been having a quick look and found a place that looks ideal, with veggie gardens and a chicken shed. I would post a link but I was looking on the app on the iPad and not sure if I can link from that.

We have 28 acres, on it we have 48 deer, 22 baby deer, 3 horses, chooks, 1 pig ( Was 3 yum yum ).

We always have something to do but its not full on madness, for water there is a bore which we can pump up from into our water tanks, for electricity we have 5.5kw solar system with batteries, gas bottles for cooking and hot water.

Kids goto school in Mount Compass the school bus picks them up from the end of the drive, and drops them off back there at the end of school.

Were totally off the grid as to speak,and love it.

Will get back to you later via PM for some more info.

HG