Looking for 1/2 bed @ $200-$250 in and around linden park

Amit Malhotra

Hi all,

We are arriving in 10th June 2015- 2 of us and have 8 year old kid. We are planning to move to Linden Park area (school) and are looking for a rental accommodation in and around that area. Requirement:

1) 1 or 2 Bed

2) Furnished or semi furnished if possible

3) Budget $200 to $250

4) Ready to lease for 12 months

Please reply if you are any breaking lease or have something to rent during that time.

Edited by Amit Malhotra

I wish you luck but I think in the Eastern suburbs you will be very lucky to find anything within that budget. Keep an eye on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au and you might find something - there is this place for example http://www.domain.com.au/for-rent/8-16-kyle-street-glenside-sa-5065?adid=9591052 but you are very unlikely to find anywhere furnished I'd have thought.

Diane has a fair point, for that price its going to be hard to find furnished or semi furnished and probably not for 12 months.

I looked up rentals in Linden Park and surrounding suburbs for up to 2 bedrooms and your maximum price and only 3 came back, none of them in Linden Park. All small unfurnised units. All of them look very pokey, very basic and probably walls that allows sound to carry and all the pitfalls that come with a block like this.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/with-2-bedrooms-between-0-250-in-linden+park%2c+sa+5065%3b+/list-1?maxBeds=any&source=location-search

Given you want Linden Park primary, if its zoned, you will need to live in the zone so be prepared to up your budget. I went up to $400 per week for Linden Park and got back 2 returns, one small unit, one very small house shabby looking house.

According to the www.Realestate.com.au web site the average rent for a 2 bedroomed unit in Linden Park is $300 per week.

These are unfurnished prices. It's a sought after area and property prices reflect this.

There are very few furnished homes in Adelaide and non within the $200 to $250 price range in that area.

I have been shocked by the unfurnished rental prices being asked recently (my son has been searching for an affordable rental) and these have been in "less attractive suburbs".

Someone that you know may have a unit in their garden but even AIRBNB doesn't have anything for $30 to $35 per night.

You need to be very careful with catchment areas for schools.

When we arrived we had arranged a furnished rental in Marino but found out upon arrival that it was outside the Brighton catchment area. This was $500 per week and that was 8 years ago.

If there were furnished rentals in Brighton for $250 per week every holiday rental supplier would be out of business and I would probably be living in one!:smile:

Guest wen66

I read somewhere that Brighton High School are looking for proof of living in the zoned area for a year prior to application? We looked at Brighton originally and couldn't see anything decent even with a reasonable budget.:(

I have friends who live in the eastern suburbs...lovely area, but expensive.

Wait till you are here and have a good drive around. Get a feel for the areas. That was the advice we were given. Some of these cheaper properties need to be seen.....I remember going to see a lovely 4 bed house with a sparkling pool....very reasonably priced in what looked like a nice area......on paper but, oh dear me, I couldn't get out of it quick enough....lol....even my kids, said, oh no, let's go now.....

The average rental is about 275 and in 250 there are some okey houses. At least what I can see on the websites... Don't know if that's the reality

There are a few in that price range, but that is not the average. And you will be fighting tooth and nail for anything half decent at that price.

The average rental is about 275 and in 250 there are some okey houses. At least what I can see on the websites... Don't know if that's the reality

I think you are looking at the cheapest of the cheap for that price bracket in Brighton. Also, be aware that there is north and south Brighton areas and check which zone the schools you are looking at fall. Some of the units I saw listed had grim looking pics and hardly showing much of the units. Those kind of rentals can often have not so great neighbours or a high turnover, so be prepared.

With your price range you are looking at shoe box sized unit, often first floor, often opening on to a busy road and other things.

Blackwood is again similar and you are looking at small unit. Again, check where it is to ensure you are in the zone for the school of your choice. Just because something falls in the suburb the school is in does not mean it is in the actual zone for the school.

Most schools have a good mix of kids from overseas, so don't limit yourself to just a few. My son's school has lots of different nationalities. Also the mix may change very quickly at the end of a school year when a year group moves up to high school and a new intake comes in.

ETA - Paringa Park primary is also very good in the Brighton area but again, zoned and its hard fought to get a house or unit within the zone.

This is a little bit worrying.

This site is packed with useful information and there are many older threads dealing with rentals and prices.

If there are people arriving and they are under the impression that you can get a furnished or semi furnished rental for $200 to $250 per week they are going to get a massive shock. If all their calculations have been made with this figure in mind...income / expenditure then reality is going to leave a very big financial hole.

Adelaide (Australia) is an expensive place to live.

A furnished rental for that price is out of the question.

Rents become cheaper the further out you are from the CBD hence "the need" to live in more distant suburbs so that you can make ends meet.

There are cheaper suburbs in the north and maybe other people could comment on them.

I can comment on southern suburbs. My son doesn't earn much (apprentice) and dreams of living where I do (not that I live in an exclusive area like many eastern suburbs). My suburb is more affordable because it takes 15 minutes longer to commute to the city. He pays $265 a week for an unfurnished house in O'Sullivan's Beach. I would demolish the house but owners know that there's a massive market for less affluent renters so they rent out run down, crappy homes and enjoy a good rental return for their outlay.

If you anticipate that your affordable rental will be $200 to $250 then the property and the area will leave a lot to be desired.

Sorry, am not trying to be harsh. It would be terrible not to tell the truth, and to let someone arrive here and then be forced by their budget to the reality of poor homes, high rentals, suspect neighbourhoods, and dodgy suburbs.

I would hope for at least a wall air con unit in one room. More if you are lucky. Not all will even have that for that price. You might get one with a heater, but don't count on it. That's about all of be expecting really. Maybe a garage as they are quite common here. Off street parking for at least one car.