Renting with Cat

ross1983

We have a short haired cat and when I've been looking at rental ads I would say 50% of the ads we've seen say 'No Pets'. So we were wondering when a rental notice says 'No Pets' does this generally mean it is written in stone or is there some room for maneouvre? i.e. they may accept 1 short haired cat but not 3 huge dogs. I know certainly in the UK with a lot of things like this they aren't allowed to discriminate against one 'group' of people so they cant just say No Dogs.

Some of the ads give reasons such as Strata regs (?!?) and we have presumed that the one which have NO PETS definitely mean no!

Any experience anyone has would be much valued

I would say the ones saying no pets, chances are its no pets. If its a shared block of land for a number of units or houses or some such, then no, chances are not happening.

I'd focus more on the ones that don't say anything or of course the Pets allowed ads.

Also offering to pay more bond can help as can references from former landlords about your renting with a pet.

Yeah, I always skipped the ones which specifically say no pets, but go to the ones which don't mention it.

It isn't THAT hard to find rentals with pets. We have three indoor cats and rent. :-) Our landlord even came over and helped us take a window out and replace it with wood and a cat flap so they can go to their outdoor room. :-)

I know of people who have persuaded landlords/agents to let them have a cat (even two cats). Basically they just said they would be happy to have it written in the contract any damage would be covered by the bond. I think the ones you need to avoid are the ones that say "strictly no pets".