holiday let vs hotel

mac

I would definitely go for the holiday, or furnished accommodation let.

The hotels are generally expensive and good, but two nights in one and I am wishing for somewhere I can do my own cooking and seems more domesticated.

There are plenty of furnished apartments in the city, as opposed to hotel accommodation, and some in the suburbs.

Agree entirely. It might seem more expensive but in a holiday let you can start buying groceries and settling in properly. Much more room to move as well. And plenty of them around in all different areas. We once stayed in a lovely place in a North Adelaide and when we move we were going to stay in a place in Norwood (stayed at the mother in laws in the end).

Have a look on Stayz.com.au for some ideas. If you see anywhere you like Google them to see if they have their own website as they will probably be cheaper if you contact them direct rather than through the Stayz website. Alternatively just google self catering holiday accomodation Adelaide ( or the area you are interested in) and see what comes up.

I would of course say holiday let / short term furnished rental. You should get everything provided...a home from home plus free internet and maybe free pone calls to the UK and Oz. they will also be far cheaper than a hotel especially in the season tat you are moving here.

If it's a holiday let in the hills that you are looking for do not pay full price! In the off peak season a few week booking in a hills holiday let would be pure gold for them and prices are very negotiable.

I'm with the others. A short term furnished rental would be the way forward if you can work it :)

If you are focusing on the Hills region for this then as Tamara said, try to negotiate the rate, worth a shot as its middle of winter off season.

Keep in mind out there though that you'll need a car pretty quick so ensure you arrange a rental car for a few days when you arrive or until you can buy one. I'd not stay up in the hills without a car. Public transport is fine but its long winded and the waiting around, changing buses etc to get to your destination will be a pain. Also if its winter you don't want to be standing around at a bus stop waiting for a bus to arrive every time you need to get anywhere.

We house sat arranged through a website. There were 5 of us (2 adults, 3 children) and weren't sure if we'd find anywhere but we came up with 2 consecutive sits (with a couple of days overlap) which gave us about 6/7 weeks of almost free accommodation (we paid bills for the electric/gas etc) at either ends of the city. It was a great way to get to know the city and work out where we definitely didn't want to be - not that it made choosing where to be any easier!

• 1 month later...

Although I agree a holiday let is the way to go (surprise surprise) it may depend on the time of year you are arriving. You can get great deals in Winter but in summer you might find a hotel cheaper?? House sitting is an awesome option if you can find one :)