Capital City House Prices

The April figures are out for price increases. Monthly increases don't mean much though.. a longer term figure being much more important.

The average capital prices are also attached.

[h=1]Home prices up except for Canberra[/h]aaplogo-JPG_074450.jpgAAP – Fri, May 1, 2015 11:12 AM AEST

2840691_010515m_HousePrices_1280x720_original.jpg

Australian property prices rose in April, with Hobart and Adelaide outpacing increases in the bigger capital cities.

Home values in Australia's capital cities were up 0.8 per cent, easing from March's 1.4 per cent rise, the CoreLogic RP Data home value index out Friday showed.

Prices in Hobart and Adelaide were both up 1.6 per cent, followed by Sydney, where prices rose by one per cent.

Sydney still recorded the biggest jump year-on-year, with a massive 14.5 per cent surge.

Canberra was the only capital city where prices fell last month, dropping 1.5 per cent.

RP Data head of research Tim Lawless said some markets were starting to slow, despite the positive overall picture.

"While the headline growth figures remain strong it is clear that some markets are winding down," Mr Lawless said.

"The rate of growth in Perth and Darwin has slowed substantially in line with the wind down of major infrastructure projects associated with the resources sector.

"The housing market in Canberra has also softened post federal election."

Mr Lawless said Sydney and Melbourne markets had been buoyed by the Reserve Bank's February interest rate cut.

Australia's median capital city house price stands at $560,000 with Sydney homes selling for $732,000 and Melbourne dwellings going for $555,000.

MEDIAN HOME PRICES IN APRIL

* Sydney, up 1.0pct to $732,500

* Melbourne, up 0.8pct to $555,000

* Brisbane, up 0.6pct to $452,000

* Adelaide, up 1.6pct to $400,000

* Perth, up 0.6pct to $520,000

* Hobart, up 1.6pct to $320,000

* Darwin, up 0.3pct to $540,000

* Canberra, down 1.5pct to $530,000

Source: RP Data

Wish I could buy a place in the city for $400k! Only one bed appts for less than that, even decent two bed townhouses are more than $700k.

Notpom wouldn't be interested as no waterfront property in Adelaide CBD.

I know what you mean. $400,000 doesn't buy that much anymore.

The increase in prices is putting property ownership outside of the reach of low income first time buyers...a category in which my two sons fall into.

Wish I could buy a place in the city for $400k! Only one bed appts for less than that, even decent two bed townhouses are more than $700k.

Notpom wouldn't be interested as no waterfront property in Adelaide CBD.

You are absolutely right. $700K can buy you waterfront property just 25 min drive from your beloved CBD. Big and spacious one. Where every morning you get a positive charge from natural beauty - and this improves quality of your life remarkably.

As opposed to a vistas of vomit from people abusing drugs and alcohol in CBD and keeping you up all night by their fabulous loud mouthed and foul mouthed skills. I would not even mention insignificances like pollution, noise, crime, insecurity, overcrowding and so on and so on and so on.

I sympatise with people who live there for rational reasons - like being close to the place where they make living. Like drug dealers, prostitures, beggars and others who objectively in need of being inside the herd.

But vast majority of "city dwellers" gravitate there because of their psychological insecurities. They afraid to be thought of like second class people.

In other words they waste their lives (and money) to impress people they do not like and people who do not like them. So it is some kind of balance.

(Please note - I did not use words "bloody snobs") .

When these people people come every weekend to my place to have a glimpse at the ocean, and look up from the Esplanade parking lot on myself standing on my balcony, I get the feeling they expect me to throw down to them copper money, biscuits and lollies - just like benevolent dictators would do. Dream on.

You are absolutely right. $700K can buy you waterfront property just 25 min drive from your beloved CBD. Big and spacious one. Where every morning you get a positive charge from natural beauty - and this improves quality of your life remarkably.

As opposed to a vistas of vomit from people abusing drugs and alcohol in CBD and keeping you up all night by their fabulous loud mouthed and foul mouthed skills. I would not even mention insignificances like pollution, noise, crime, insecurity, overcrowding and so on and so on and so on.

I sympatise with people who live there for rational reasons - like being close to the place where they make living. Like drug dealers, prostitures, beggars and others who objectively in need of being inside the herd.

But vast majority of "city dwellers" gravitate there because of their psychological insecurities. They afraid to be thought of like second class people.

In other words they waste their lives (and money) to impress people they do not like and people who do not like them. So it is some kind of balance.

(Please note - I did not use words "bloody snobs") .

When these people people come every weekend to my place to have a glimpse at the ocean, and look up from the Esplanade parking lot on myself standing on my balcony, I get the feeling they expect me to throw down to them copper money, biscuits and lollies - just like benevolent dictators would do. Dream on.

Ha Ha Ha...you crack me up. This is so funny. I have tears running down my cheeks. Bloody brilliant...I love it...:biggrin: Honestly you should be a script writer for Monty Python...:biggrin: