Guest Delle

Hello,

I am looking to move to Adelaide in January with my family. I have been looking at short term rentals, they seem to be really expensive.

We would be hoping to rent somewhere furnished for 2 or 3 months, while we found our feet, looked closer into suburbs etc and wait for shipping container, etc...

It would be much appreciated if you could share your experiences of finding such rentals, how they work and where to search.

Hopefully we can then avoid being 'stung' - oh I should also add that we will be bring our small dog, I imagine this make put up a few hurdles.

Many Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum. Just so you know your first few posts will need to be approved by a moderator before they appear.

Furnished rentals tend to be holiday rentals and January is peak holiday time so rentals will be expensive and probably difficult to find. Locations away from the beach may have more availability but I wouldn't know for sure. Or you could potentially get something that is normally used as student accommodation as it would be the University holidays. Have a look at stays.com.au or AirBnB for holiday let places.

Getting a holiday let that would allow a dog may be difficult so you might want to aim to be in a long term rental by the time your dog arrives. Most people book a place for three or four weeks while they find a long term, unfurnished, rental and then camp out in that until their container arrives.

Welcome,

You are arriving at the busiest time of the year.

Families who are relocating are competing with overseas visitors (many visiting relatives who made the move) and interstate holidaymakers. It's best to book a long time in advance.

Most of the short term rentals that I know of have been booked for these dates for the past few months.

Migrant relocation rentals are not expensive when compared to hotels, motels, chalets, caravan parks etc. Many of these establishments charge a base fee for 2 guests and then add on for additional people while short term rentals do not. There are very few short term furnished rentals that will accept pets. I know from experience that many pets are left to their own devices. They may bark incessantly, destroy the garden, annoy the neighbours and rip floors to bits! You may be fortunate to find somewhere on Airbnb as properties are being listed all the time. Give yourself a little extra time (your time frame was ok) if you have a pet with you as pet friendly unfurnished homes are a little more difficult to find...the right home in the right area that is.

To avoid being "stung" you should try to go with someone who has been in the business for a while, has recommendations, has a genuine business (ABN), a business account for payments (business licence required to open account), and you should be fine.

All the best with your move.

We found our short term rental on Gumtree. While I know from others that there could be risks, we were really lucky and found a lovely lady who picked us up from the airport and went food shopping for us so that we didn't arrive to an empty fridge. She also went out of her way to collect some bedding from a friend for us and even refunded some of our money as we found our long term rental quicker than expected. We had a contract that we signed before we left the UK but we did have to pay a deposit up front and thats where the problems could occur. I think because there was a lot of communication before we committed ourselves, this our minds at rest that she was legit.

We found our short term rental on Gumtree. While I know from others that there could be risks, we were really lucky and found a lovely lady who picked us up from the airport and went food shopping for us so that we didn't arrive to an empty fridge. She also went out of her way to collect some bedding from a friend for us and even refunded some of our money as we found our long term rental quicker than expected. We had a contract that we signed before we left the UK but we did have to pay a deposit up front and thats where the problems could occur. I think because there was a lot of communication before we committed ourselves, this our minds at rest that she was legit.

Its good to know you had a positive experience renting via Gumtree. I've read all to often (second hand this is for the most part, not usually directly from the people it had happened to) that people get messed about on Gumtree yet people like yourselves then post on here and say otherwise. So while I am sure for some it may not work out so well or its not a good rental, for others its good to hear that it is :) Glad things worked out for you guys.

I think its good that people are aware of the possible pitfalls of renting via Gumtree and like Tamara said above, things like an ABN, has recommendations and the like is a good thing to look out for. Not only on Gumtree but renting elsewhere.

ETA - I see your location says Burnside, lovely area, glad you are liking it. Love it over that way myself. We have family in Magill and Mitcham and over the warmer months are often that way. Love the run up to Christmas in those suburbs with all the jacarandas flowering. I tend to stick around Blackwood, Belair, Mitcham way for shopping and stuff (and Westfield Marion) but I do like to visit Burnside for some retail therapy on occasion :cute:

Edited by snifter
added a bit

Chiming in what has been said about the dog and short term rentals. Most don't seem to take them.

I'd be looking at 3-4 weeks in a short term furnished rental and finding a longer term on in that time that will be happy taking a dog. Lots do so don't panic. January is also school summer holidays so short term rentals may be hard to come by. Check out the availability of those listed in our Rentals Available forum - http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/rentals-available/ You could perhaps split the time in a couple of places if availability is short.

If you time it right, given the 10 days quarantine now you should be able to ship your dog after you have departed and almost to the end of the short term let and then be sorted with a longer term one.

Re areas. If you know what line of work you are looking at or how far you are prepared to travel, focus you longer term rental on that. Don't worry overly about where you start off short term. What are your priorities? Beach? areas to walk your dog? Nearer to the CBD for work? city based? If you have kids, there are schools to consider and that can have a big impact.

Again, if you plan it right, you don't need to be too long without your belongings. Some ship just before they go, others sooner. Either way you need to make do at that end or this for your stuff. Are you planning to ship a house contents or just personal effects? All those things factor in. I personally think its easier to ship sooner from the UK and make do without stuff that end for a while than be without it this end. We didn't ship old stuff, furniture we planned to sell etc and some white goods so we had a sofa to sit on, camping chairs and till the last week beds to sleep in. After that it was air mattresses and a bit like camping out at home. But it was fun and added to the adventure that last week once we took stuff to the tip, sold it and so on. We also borrowed some basics from family and friends and again, cheap cutlery and crockery and the things in the kitchen we didn't ship we used and then took to the dump. We didn't ship our fridge freezer, vaccum cleaner, some beds, a small table and chairs, sofa etc. All things we got rid of before we left. Have replaced them here over time.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. Me and my wife, we are looking for a short term one bedroom accommodation in the city or in one of its suburbs. It should be furnished and its location has to allow as to reach the city center by public transport without a problem. We come to Adelaide in October 14 and we are going to rent an accommodation on a few month. Also, the weekly payment for it should be between 200-300 aud.

Be very careful renting off Gumtree sight unseen, HelenS was very fortunate, there are no shortage of rouges out there. We rented a dud ourselves (not on arrival, later down track)from Gumtree, ever seen the program Life of Grime, we just laughed and said Oh stuff we've been had, not all risks pay off hey!. I'd point you in the direction of airbnb, or you may get a furnished house sit if the owner has dogs themselves, we looked at that option, but dates never tie in. If not it's stayz or realestate, worth keeping an eye on normal rentals as well as holiday, as sometimes 3 month lets do turn up.

Hi everyone. Me and my wife, we are looking for a short term one bedroom accommodation in the city or in one of its suburbs. It should be furnished and its location has to allow as to reach the city center by public transport without a problem. We come to Adelaide in October 14 and we are going to rent an accommodation on a few month. Also, the weekly payment for it should be between 200-300 aud.

You are kidding, right?

Two hundred bucks for an unfurnished would be a miracle unless you wanted real dodgy.

Have you done your sums and do you know just how expensive it is to live here?