South

notpom

Interesting article spruiking Aldinga Beach.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/realestate/news/aldinga-beach-delivers-home-buyers-affordable-coastal-lifestyle-not-far-from-adelaides-cbd/story-fni0ci8n-1227612208077

I agree with everything it says, apart from the desire to load the text into Word and do Global Search-Replace of "Aldinga Beach" for

1. Christies beach

2. Port Noarlunga

3. Seaford

4. Moana

But the most preferrable would be of course Port Noarlunga South (it is the same as Seaford, only closer ). Equally close to the Seaford shopping Centres, Noarlunga Centre, Christies Beach cafes, Expressway and Railway.

This is not to say Aldinga is not nice. Comparing to this place North looks simply unliveable.

OMG...I live in the south and I don't want the north / south hostility to return. There's been a truce for the past couple of years!:smile:

I did see the article about Aldinga. Many new arrivals do decide to get a value for money home out there but it's little too far out for me....Having said that I really wouldn't mind living in one of those stunning villages a little further down the coast...Normanville, Carrackalinga, Yankalilla (not Cape Jervis!).

I've never actually been to Aldinga. Must go for a visit some time and see what it's like. It's a it far from us really to just pop over for an hour or so and if we are doing the full day beach thing we head down to Horseshoe Bay at Port Elliott as it's our favourite beach by far.

In terms of property the southern beach side suburbs still have plenty of space and affordable places so are good places to buy for long term investment. The more northern beaches are already well built up and difficult to obtain any property bargins. You can't really go that much further north than Semaphore without running out of beaches so difficult to go as far north as Aldinga is south and still be sea front. I'm pretty sure notpom has argued previously that sea view property will always keep it's value but I'm not convinced that investing in a million dollar property on the Glenelg sea front would pay off as well long term, even if you could afford the property in the first place.

I've never actually been to Aldinga. Must go for a visit some time and see what it's like. It's a it far from us really to just pop over for an hour or so and if we are doing the full day beach thing we head down to Horseshoe Bay at Port Elliott as it's our favourite beach by far.

In terms of property the southern beach side suburbs still have plenty of space and affordable places so are good places to buy for long term investment. The more northern beaches are already well built up and difficult to obtain any property bargins. You can't really go that much further north than Semaphore without running out of beaches so difficult to go as far north as Aldinga is south and still be sea front. I'm pretty sure notpom has argued previously that sea view property will always keep it's value but I'm not convinced that investing in a million dollar property on the Glenelg sea front would pay off as well long term, even if you could afford the property in the first place.

There are few issues about Glenelg seafront and the fact that for one house there you could buy up to 15 Esplanade houses in Port Noarlunga South is not the main thing. Of course it is important, because you get more continuity of rent from 15 houses (it is unlikely that all of them would be vacant at the same time). Secondly, rental returns down South are better.

But the main thing is that Glenelg waterfront is not a market of property as such. It is market of statements. People buy there to impress people they do not like. People build there to impress people they do not like. It is unhealthy motive. It is unhealthy market. Reason for selling there almost always the same as reason to jump out of the window when share market crashes.

• 1 month later...