how to secure a rental

masha

Hi all,

We have recently arrived in Adelaide and we are trying to get a long term rental in the Golden Grove or Wynn vale areas. We sent a few on-line requests to agents to view the properties but received very few replies. We liked one particular property and we were trying to arrange a viewing however the agent did not reply to our phone messages or emails and before a date was set for the opening the property was taken off the market. Are we missing a trick here? Is there a way of securing a property without going through the formal process? Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Maria

We don't arrive until July, but our plan is to go round the agents offices in the areas we like, as I think they must get lots of time wasters emailing, but actually going in and meeting them and discussing your requirements might open more doors. We could be terribly wrong in our approach but face to face is usually best from past experiences of estate agents!

Its nothing personal its just you! I had the same problem when I arrived 6 years or so ago. Look at it this way. If you're a landlord or agent why make life possibly harder giving a property to someone fresh off the boat. If you arrived here by the click of a finger surely you could leave just as easily. That was the conclusion I came to - and I'm in a fairly introverted area.

Try touring all the local agents with copies of your references, completed applications etc. Face to face works well.

Good luck.

Agree with the others. Get round in person to the local agents in the areas you are looking at. Hand in your pack, chat to them and tell them what you are after. And follow things up for properties that are then listed with phone calls to them or going in in person, don't bother messaging or emailing.

Often a property is listed to rent via an agent but the owner will find a tenant some other way (say a friend of a friend or a private ad) and will therefore let the house. I've known this done a number of times before an open has taken place.

Also keep in mind that for most rentals (and when buying) there are public opens. Messaging re a rental that has an open listed probably won't get you anywhere. Rentals, the opens are often weekdays in the early evenings or weekends. You need to be prepared to hit those opens along with everyone else and then if you want the property to apply for it then and there (often if you go away to think about it, others interested will apply and secure it). Many agents don't see interested to show a rental to an individual if they've arranged an open for it and know there will be interest.

You can't really get inspections by asking agents for an individual one. You have to go to opens. Have your papers all ready, references printed out, bank statements all ready showing finances, go the extra mile. Have it all in an envelope and ask for an application form when you get to the open. Spend a few minutes looking round, make a decision quickly and fill in the form before the open is over.

Do you have kids? Take the whole family with you. Well dressed and well behaved. Have them politely say hello etc and thanks to the agent without being prompted. First in best dressed. It will happen but you have to work the room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk