suburbs around Adelaide

Guest stu4668

Guest stu4668

Hello all, just registered to this site. I am in the early stages of Visa application for 175 skilled independant Visa. I was wondering if someone could inform me of the names of the nice/upmarket areas around Adelaide with access to good schools.

Hi Stu and welcome to PIA. If you have a look through some old threads on this section you'll find that this is a pretty emotive subject and you're unlikely to get a definitive answer. It all depends on what you're looking for anyway, do you want to live in the hills or on the coast, north or south of Adelaide? Have a look at www.adelaidebound.com which might give you a bit more info. Good luck!

Guest Guest75
Come up north:jiggy:

Much better than down south :biglaugh:

*Now that should get this one going*:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I'm a Northerner living in the South now

The area kind of "Chose us"

Suits me fine but there are so many nice suburbs to choose from all over the city

Guest lastboyscout

I couldn`t agree more Tyke, we looked at a few areas and decided on Redwood Park, which wasn`t our first choice when looking in the UK, but after riding around and looking at a few suburbs we would have settled in several to be honest.:goofy:

The moral of the story is, have a look around, you`ll be surprised :idea:

Hi, thought I'd venture back onto the site as the scary person I was hiding from seems to have gone away (yippee!)

Anyway Stu in answer to your question, it really will depend on where you think you might be working. If it is very important to you to be very near a beach, then you will probably find more affordable property near the southern beaches. If you might be working in manufacturing or that type of industry, you may well find most of the jobs are based in the north and bear in mind that although Adelaide is frequently called "the 20 minute city" it can take about an hour tro drive from some of the southern suburbs to some of the northern areas, and vice versa!

Personally we chose the North East, 30 minutes to the beach, 30 minutes to the Barossa, 20 minutes to the City Centre, 10 minutes to my husband's work (at the time - since moved offices and now nearer 30 minutes!), good schools, nice housing, nice people, nice hills!

There are lots of great suburbs all over though and it really will depend on personal preference.

Our Home2Home Newsletter has a suburb profile on Highbury in the NE this issue - if you would like to receive a copy by email, send a request to Mandy@h2h.com.au or ring on 0800 781 3836 (UK number).

Diane

Guest salisbury massive
Hello all, just registered to this site. I am in the early stages of Visa application for 175 skilled independant Visa. I was wondering if someone could inform me of the names of the nice/upmarket areas around Adelaide with access to good schools.

When you say upmarket do you mean expensive??? If you do I would suggest you have a look at Kensington, Unley, Burnside, Magill, Kensington Gardens, Colonel Light Gardens, Keswick & Payneham. These have a "really great" suburb tag and can be pricey. The schools all have great reputations and you have to be in the catchment to get in. All located around the CBD and on most peoples wish lists.

If you want to be near the beach have a look at Brighton, Glenelg, Somerton Park, Semaphore, West Beach, Fulham, Henley Beach.

If you want to be really down South then look at, Aldinga beach, Seaford meadows, Seaford Rise & Hallet Cove.

Further North then try Mawson Lakes, Redwood Park, Tea Tree Gully, Highbury, Althelstone, Banksia & Fairview Parks, Hope Valley, Gulfview Heights, Golden Grove, Greenwith and the very exclusive Salisbury Heights. Don't be put off by the Salisbury tag, its a very nice area.

In the hills try One Tree Hill, Edwardstown, Kersbrook, Hillbank, Aldgate, Mount Barker, Stirling, Bridgewater & Mitcham.

Not all these places are expensive, just whatever suits your personal taste.

Jo

Guest Libby1971

I drive through some nice suburbs each day on the work. However Colonel Light Gardens doesn't strike me as really nice FROM THE AREAS I CAN SEE. I don't ever turn off, I just go straight up Goodwood Road so it might be nicer.

I do like Tusmore and Linden Park. I haven't ever looked at the house prices and would probably be scared to!!

South but not as south as Aldinga are Woodcroft, Happy Valley, Aberfoyle Park, Hallett Cove, Port Noarlunga South, Port Willunga - now there is a lovely place to go.

We were heading for either Gawler, Aldinga or Willunga when we were in the UK. We never even considered this suburb, and look where we bought!

Libby

Colonel light gardens has the same feel to it as Tusmore Pk, Burnside, etc when you get off Goodwood rd and without the same price tag.. Lots of quiet streets with houses with established hedges gardens and tree lined avenues. So it pays to meander through the suburbs rather than view them from the main roads.

Guest stu4668

thanks folks, at least this gives me some names to have a look on real estate websites. The criteria I am looking for is a nice area with access to good schools, initially intend to rent to see how things matreialise.

These threads always turn into a 'I live here' type of argument and therefore its the best. Jo summed up all the areas that are perceived as desirable by the majority of Adelaide residents, some may not be what you are looking for, some may. We wrote down a list of our requirements and the priority that they had, we had a budget of 900k so we are pretty much able to choose where we wanted to be but schools won the day for us and we now live in Burnside having rented in Malvern both, in my opinion, great areas with great schools and a 10 minute commute into work for Richard. Work out what you can spend, what is most important to you and then choose, don't get carried away on real estate because estate agents are able to take some really deceiving photos and if you haven't been, do a reccie and decide for yourself. Everyone likes different things and comes from different backgrounds and Libby, I've got some friends with gorgeous houses in Colonel Light Gardens, looks from the outside can be very deceiving!!!!!!