$7000 help for houses!

Guest Lulujim

Guest Lulujim

Hi all,

Another query with the 475 visa restrictions - hope you can help!?

I know we are not eligible for the $7000 hand-out for buying our first home on a Temp Residency status, but another PIA member thinks it might be available to temporary residents for New Builds?

Can anyone clarify this for us? (Am really keepink my fingers crossed!!) Every little helps!!!:v_SPIN:

Thanks in advance,

Alexis

Unfortunately that is not true. You are only entitled to claim the grant if you have bought a property within twelve months of getting pr - so if you bought a house then ten months later were granted pr you could get it. Sadly a number of people have missed out because the pr visas are taking so long to come through. It's a bit of a sore point really that after having met all the criteria, it isn't simply a rubber stamp exercise. It means you are also hanging on for child benefit and other things which the prs get.

The other common misconception of the SIR (or whatever it is now) is that you have to live in SA for two years; that is not the case. You can apply to transfer your state sponsorship elsewhere, but you will have some restrictions as to where you live. You still have to have worked full time for 12 months out of first two years, but anytime worked in one state can be added on.

Guest Lulujim

hi beanbear - thanks so much for the help. So.. if we live for 2 yrs in SA and have worked for 12 months, we can apply for PR and live anywhere in Aus with no restrictions - is that right?

Also I wasn't aware of being able to move to other states. I guess this opens up a few more options. And this is still ok even if we have sponsorship from SA? My OH has got a video conference interview with Woolworths on Thurs 10 July and I think they like their managers to be flexible about where they wil go. Obv the Temp Visa isn't quite so flexible, but sounds like it might be a possibility after all. Do you have to go through the whole process again and with added costs?

Any more you know about this would be great,

Many thanks, Alexis

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi Lulujim,

We are also going on a 475, and getting more and more confused the more we read up on it.:mad:.

Some people seem to be saying we can move after 2 years but are restricted to states, also Tom is the main applicant and i have been told that you have to prove that you have lived and worked for 12mnths in SA and need all the paper work to prove it. What paper work? Also it costs to apply for perm res all over again and it can be costly, It is also worrying to read that if you are a temp res that the tax you pay is huge! Is this true? Can anyone help with any of these questions with regards to this visa, very confused.

I have also been told that people have gone over there as they were on the skilled shortage list and when they got there couldn't get a job. I suppose when you make the decision to make the move you just want to hear all the positives and when you start to hear the negatives it kind of puts a dampner on it. Don't get me wrong i would sooner hear the truth then you are prepared, but some people seem to be saying they aren't any better of and some worse of which isn't very encouraging:nah:

We have also got added costs such as medication which i am sure we are not alone but as i start to add all these costs up i am beginning to wonder if we are going to have a better standard of living. Debs i think you are beginning to rub of on me! ha!

Even with all this though there are success stories and people who have made a go of it and love it so hopefully we will be one of them.;)

Guest jill wright
Hi Lulujim,

We are also going on a 475, and getting more and more confused the more we read up on it.:mad:.

Some people seem to be saying we can move after 2 years but are restricted to states, also Tom is the main applicant and i have been told that you have to prove that you have lived and worked for 12mnths in SA and need all the paper work to prove it. What paper work? Also it costs to apply for perm res all over again and it can be costly, It is also worrying to read that if you are a temp res that the tax you pay is huge! Is this true? Can anyone help with any of these questions with regards to this visa, very confused.

I have also been told that people have gone over there as they were on the skilled shortage list and when they got there couldn't get a job. I suppose when you make the decision to make the move you just want to hear all the positives and when you start to hear the negatives it kind of puts a dampner on it. Don't get me wrong i would sooner hear the truth then you are prepared, but some people seem to be saying they aren't any better of and some worse of which isn't very encouraging:nah:

We have also got added costs such as medication which i am sure we are not alone but as i start to add all these costs up i am beginning to wonder if we are going to have a better standard of living. Debs i think you are beginning to rub of on me! ha!

Even with all this though there are success stories and people who have made a go of it and love it so hopefully we will be one of them.;)

Hi we are hoping too to go on the 475. the way I understand things is once you have PR after fulfilling visa requirements you are then free to move anywhere in Australia(this ruling came in sept,07) As for paperwork you need to show you've lived in a place 12 months I think its things like utility bills ,rental agreements school records that sort of thing. Also I asked this on here the other day and you pay the same tax as someone with PR. Also the main applicant doesn't have to be the one necessarily to show they've worked for two years it can be anyone else on the visa and the job they do doesn't have to be on the skills list nor the one they had assessed. Hope this helps I do know though we don't get any handouts but can apply for the first time buyers allowance once we apply for PR

Jill

Guest rockpool crab
Bugger! Thanks for link though x

Hi ..sorry for the duff info earlier. I'm sure last year I was told you had to be living in SA for 6 months and you could then get help with a new build...but it's defo looking like you need to be PR :-(

Even asked hubbie..as I though I might have made it up.. but he agree'd with what I said.

It's so hard going on the 457 eh :-(

Carol Ann

hi beanbear - thanks so much for the help. So.. if we live for 2 yrs in SA and have worked for 12 months, we can apply for PR and live anywhere in Aus with no restrictions - is that right?

Also I wasn't aware of being able to move to other states. I guess this opens up a few more options. And this is still ok even if we have sponsorship from SA? My OH has got a video conference interview with Woolworths on Thurs 10 July and I think they like their managers to be flexible about where they wil go. Obv the Temp Visa isn't quite so flexible, but sounds like it might be a possibility after all. Do you have to go through the whole process again and with added costs?

It is right that you will have no restrictions on you once you have completed the two year period. As I said you can really live anywhere regional in any state (apart from Canberra I think) as long as you have spoken to the relevant state department and they have agreed to take over your state sponsorship (this costs nothing as far as I'm aware as you have already had all the relevant checks done.) Obviously SA will not be ken for you to leave and may not be helpful with info (which is why I phoned Qld) but they can't stop you.

On the DIAC website there is a page which lists all the postcodes of the places you are allowed to live in (they list these for each state) you can then cross reference this with a google map to see what it would mean. Most people opt for SA originally because it is the only state where you can live anywhere, even in the state capital.

Guest jill wright

It is right that you will have no restrictions on you once you have completed the two year period. As I said you can really live anywhere regional in any state (apart from Canberra I think) as long as you have spoken to the relevant state department and they have agreed to take over your state sponsorship (this costs nothing as far as I'm aware as you have already had all the relevant checks done.) Obviously SA will not be ken for you to leave and may not be helpful with info (which is why I phoned Qld) but they can't stop you.

On the DIAC website there is a page which lists all the postcodes of the places you are allowed to live in (they list these for each state) you can then cross reference this with a google map to see what it would mean. Most people opt for SA originally because it is the only state where you can live anywhere, even in the state capital.

After meetong the criteria for the 475(living in a regional state for two years and showing one years residency) you then apply for the 887 (PR) which according to th

This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia.

Australian permanent residents can:

• live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
  • study in Australia at school or university
  • receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
  • access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
  • be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
  • sponsor people for permanent residence.

Therefore the whole of Australia is your oyster this altered last september from being able to live in only regional parts :jiggy:

Jill

Jill

Hi all

We are also hoping to go on the 475 visa. Some interesting reading. You have clarified a few points. Another question please, is there any restrictions on getting employment if you are on a 475 visa. Do SA employers recognise this visa?

Thanks

Alison

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Thanks for all that guys :notworthy:

Has really made me alot happier knowing there are options. Whos to say we won't warm to Adelaide and fall in love with it like many of you have, but it's nice to have the option and not be restricted to one place.

Tom has been before and said it's a great place but he just loves Oz and would live anywhere, even if it meant living in a cardboard box for 2yrs if that got us PR.

Also pleased to hear that it doesn't mean Tom has to work in his skilled prof as if he does initially struggle to find a job in his field then he can do anything untill something crops up. :)

Just wondering have any of you been to these seminars? Where they have various companies we have booked to go the one in Leeds in Oct, did you find them useful or useless?

Jo and Tom

Guest thelincolns

Just wondering have any of you been to these seminars? Where they have various companies we have booked to go the one in Leeds in Oct, did you find them useful or useless?

Jo and Tom

We went to one in Leeds in April and were largely disappointed- I think downloading the brochures from DIAC will tell you more about visas than you can find there. Somebody claims to have even have found jobs as a result of attending, which is def lucky, but then again it depends on your line of work. I think if you are a nurse or work in engineering or mining then you will have a chance as there were employer stands. We work in different sectors and these seminars were not useful to us, sadly

Guest jill wright
Hi all

We are also hoping to go on the 475 visa. Some interesting reading. You have clarified a few points. Another question please, is there any restrictions on getting employment if you are on a 475 visa. Do SA employers recognise this visa?

Thanks

Alison

Hi Alison

I had concerns about this espeicially when I've looked at jobs in the Adelaide Advertiser stating'must have residency' but someone over there already on this visa (sorry can't remember who) said it isn't a problem getting a job I think theres a letter to download from SA government website stating you are free to work there. Sorry can't remember exact details but I'm confident we'll be fine to find work on this visa

Jillx

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Thanks the Lincolns sorry to hear it was a complete waste of time.

The only reason were going is because we have some friende who are going shortly they are going to Perth, they attended and mentioned they had seen quite a few stands on Property Man, so thought we might be able to get some info on job opportunities etc.

Anyway we can give it a bash and have a night out while were there, never been out in Leeds but heard it's good! If we don't get anything out of it bar a hangover it will be something:goofy:

Thanks Jo

Guest Lulujim

Hi -

We went to an expo in london in april. It definitely wasn't as good as I thought it would be, quite a bit smaller than expected. As previously said though, great for engineering, mining etc... BUT .. Woolworths had a stand and my OH got an interview there and then. They got in contact when they got back to Aus - and requested his cv. He sent it, and now they have asked for an interview next week via video conference link.. We would have never have approached them otherwise, so a great opportunity.

So I guess you never know what may come of it - and worse case scenario a good night out in Leeds like you said!! :D

Take care, Alexis x

Guest jill wright
Hi -

We went to an expo in london in april. It definitely wasn't as good as I thought it would be, quite a bit smaller than expected. As previously said though, great for engineering, mining etc... BUT .. Woolworths had a stand and my OH got an interview there and then. They got in contact when they got back to Aus - and requested his cv. He sent it, and now they have asked for an interview next week via video conference link.. We would have never have approached them otherwise, so a great opportunity.

So I guess you never know what may come of it - and worse case scenario a good night out in Leeds like you said!! :D

Take care, Alexis x

Hi when exactly is the expo in Leeds it may be worth us going if woolworths have a stand with Phil being a baker I know Debs17 already over there says her hubby works for them and is a baker . like you say could be a good night out after

jill

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi Jill

The Expo is on the 18th or 19th of October we booked the tickets on line could be a good idea for a meet up. See if anyone wants to have a night out.

So prob best to have the night out on the Sat were going to stay in a hotel if anyones up for it?;)

Jo and Tom