Southern Suburbs

Guest stu4668

Guest stu4668

Can anyone give me their thoughts/opinions on the following areas with regards to the neighbourhood, schooling, access to shops etc:

Happy Valley

Reynalla East

Reynella

Old Reynella

Fountain Valley

Aberfoyle park

Flagstaff Hill

Woodlea

I appreciate everyone has their own opinions, likes/dislikes etc but any feedback would be helpfull.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Mine go to school in Aberfoyle park, I like it there, got some good shops, I like the Reynellas and Happy valley, Flagstaff hill is nice too. They are all about the same to me, some have good shops some dont but its not far from shops so it doesnt matter. Sorry dont even know where Fountain Vally or Woodlea is

sarah

Guest Libby1971

I should hope they aren't rough areas...I live in one of them!!!!!!!:biglaugh:

They are older suburbs, established, very few plots if any to build one. Good family suburbs with lots of schools.

Reynella East High and Aberfoyle Park have very good reputations as schools. One of mine goes to REHS and we are very happy.

Guest guest569

Like Sarah i haven't heard of fountain valley and Woodlea but i suppose thats a good thing as bad news travels faster than good.:biglaugh:

All the others are nice established areas and reasonably priced.

Guest weesp

Hi we have looked at the high school in Aberfoyle and they are bursting at the seems in years 9 and 12 they have 37 children in them! We looked at a rental house in Happy Valley, because they havn't got a high school, I couldn't get my kids into Aberfoyle because I wasn't in the catchment area, so we had to turn down the house, Reynella was also over subscribed. Have found the whole house hunting and school hunting very, very frustrating!

The only area I can think of as being Fountain Valley is part of Happy Valley close to the doctors there (which is called Fountain Valley Medical Practice). Maybe you mean Woodcroft rather than Woodlea? (So much new information to take in!)

Lea

Guest dale_jo@

All the area's you have covered are all within a few kilometres of each other a most leafy suburbs about 25 kilometres South of Adelaide CBD.

You certainly have a choice of several schools within those areas and also a good variety of Shopping Centres.

Fountain Valley is apart or on the edge of Happy Valley again a nice area to live but I am not sure about Woodlea.

Woodlea maybe an Estate which is really apart of Woodcroft which is the suburb south of Happy Valley and Reynella.

We have lived in Happy Valley for 8 Years and have enjoyed the area very much.

Good Luck

Dale & Jo

Guest stu4668

Thankyou to everyone that has provided information. The reason I mentioned these areas is that they all seem reasonably priced. I am in the early stages of visa process and want to do as much research as possibly early on. Initially if/when we come over would look at renting then maybe after 6/12 months buy. Thanks again

Guest stu4668

I notice you mentioned that the schools are bursting at the seams for some year groups. does that mean if you are in the catchment area and the school year is oversubscried then they can reject your application?

Guest sarahsmartiepants

That would be worry about the schools. The R-12 in HC is full and they are only taking those in the zone. When we got here there was loads of room in REHS APHS and the R-12 HC. If they have to take kids as they live in the zone then classes will start to become overcrowded:mad:.

I guess this is what happens when a state gov. such as SA invite migrants this fast without making any provisions for the infrastructure such as housing and schools:mad:

sarah

Guest weesp

HERE, HERE, Sarah, this situation was surely not thought out at all. It's really hard coming to a new country, especially with kids, and especially as they came from a realy good school in the Uk with 26 kids in a class, to classes with 37!

I think though that the government maybe didn't forsee that the english would cluster themselves almost completely in one section of the city. After all there are many areas where the schools aren't bursting at the seams, well here's a thought......

:idea:totally free visas to the 1st 100 to settle out of the deep south.

To those of us who remember when those southern beaches were banked pretty much by fields and was a day trip, it still seems a long way away from the beating heart of the city. same with Gawler to the north....well that's in the Barossa isn't it:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest weesp
I notice you mentioned that the schools are bursting at the seams for some year groups. does that mean if you are in the catchment area and the school year is oversubscried then they can reject your application?

As far as I am aware, even if they are bursting at the seams and you are in the catchment area, you can still get your kids into a full class it's just that I did'nt want my kid's education to suffer with so many in a class!

Lynn

Guest stu4668

thanks for all your comments, they are appreciated, I must admit though its a big thing to upsticks and move to the other side of the world. I am apprehensive but also excited. I suppose if things don't out as expected I can always go back to the uk. You must of all been in this situation at some time? any regrets?

Guest Nick11
As far as I am aware, even if they are bursting at the seams and you are in the catchment area, you can still get your kids into a full class it's just that I did'nt want my kid's education to suffer with so many in a class!

Lynn

That's true - happenend to my kids. The head tried to make out that she was under no legal obligation to take them. Hubby rang up education department and they said she had to take them legally.

I think though that the government maybe didn't forsee that the english would cluster themselves almost completely in one section of the city. After all there are many areas where the schools aren't bursting at the seams, well here's a thought......

Not ALLLLL the English!!! Some of us (with common sense and good taste :cute:) buck the trend..... :biglaugh:

Guest Deb17

Would Aldinga count? :jiggy:I'd be happy with that!!!

But you probably mean Goolwa or Victor Harbor...so far south they're practically in ole Mississippi.

Guest billy173safc
Mine go to school in Aberfoyle park, I like it there, got some good shops, I like the Reynellas and Happy valley, Flagstaff hill is nice too. They are all about the same to me, some have good shops some dont but its not far from shops so it doesnt matter. Sorry dont even know where Fountain Vally or Woodlea is

sarah

Hi all

Woodlea Estate is in between Oakridge Road and Black Road. My sister - in - law has lived there for about 26 years since emigrating and wouldn't move anywhere else. Fountain Valley is just off the Southern Expressway in between Happy Valley and Reynella East. Hope this helps.

Billy

Guest smit
Not ALLLLL the English!!! Some of us (with common sense and good taste :cute:) buck the trend..... :biglaugh:
Do you give this impartial advice to your clients?

( entirely toungue in cheek ...........before anyone gets offended )

Guest smit

To those of us who remember when those southern beaches were banked pretty much by fields and was a day trip, it still seems a long way away from the beating heart of the city. same with Gawler to the north....well that's in the Barossa isn't it:biglaugh::biglaugh:

another person ignorant of the facts! this time , someone whos been here a fair while.Look at the %age Brits in some of the NE burbs???? Easy info to find:).

Its easy for you to say these 'deep south' places, but when you came it dodnt cost much %wise to buy your house. Stories a bit different now! Affordability is a big issue now.

As for your area, good positioning, but I wouldnt want to live there, its a ghetto!!!!!

Now , for someone looking from UK, do they believe that or not?

Get my drift..............