coming to adelaide for 3 months

Guest ecmiller72

Guest ecmiller72

hi

myself wife and 15 month yr old son are coming to live in adelaide for 3 months

i have a study leave position at adelaide university mainly based at the waite campus but will also involve some work at the central campus think its called north terrace

so we are looking for a house or apartment to rent for 3 months from oct 16th

can anyone suggest good websites or contacts or even an apartment ?

a brief websearch suggests there a lots of places - too much info really

secondly if anyone could suggest good locations to live as we have no idea

it would have to be commutable for me to the campus by public transport

but also be lively enough for my wife to be able to entertain herself in the day

any help would be v much appreciated

cheers

ed

I would lease a short term furnished rental in the city itself. That way you can walk to North Tce and it's a 20 min bus ride to the waite campus. Your wife would be able to go to the shops, cinemas, Botanic Gdns and libraries easily. There are also gyms with creches. She could also join a playgroup while you are here to meet some other people. Some childcare centres and Kindys have occasional care(a couple of hours) if she needed some time to her self say to see a film, or get her hair done etc. If you rent a furnished short stay place for 3 months you should get it at a cheaper rate.

Guest ecmiller72

thanks for this advise

i was wondering if you can suggest any specific areas or do i just search under central or CBD ?

also can anyone suggest any specific websites, i have done some searching but there is just loads and loads of info making it hard to focus :)

Have a look in North Adelaide - I think the Adelaide Regent Apartments have some up around there and that would be easy for you to get to North Terrace, and there are plenty of cafes and nice shops around there for your wife.

http://www.adelaideregent.com.au/

We stayed in their Hutt St Appts when we first arrived, and their Carrington Street ones (neither of those are in North Adelaide by the way, but both equally good locations) and they were clean, well maintained, and had friendly staff. Don't forget to bargain for a good price!

Diane

Guest ecmiller72

hi wondered if i could just ask a few more questions

my wife suggested a rental property could be a problem as we only want it for 3 months but would probably need to sort utility bills and taxes etc so serviced apartments are probably better

however these seem very expensive - at least $150 a night - when i think our budget is probably around $400 a week - do you think serviced apartments are a no no on this budget and if so would a rental require all the usual signing on with utilities even for a few months

second, we have been looking at location, iam going to be working at the waite campus, is this south east adelaide ? on the map to me it looked like it was near a place called glen osmand which looked like it was SE, if so would a beach location be possible, Glenelg looked the closest to me on the map, would this be commutable easy enough to waite in the morning by public transport ?

any help as before much appreciated

ed

Guest ecmiller72

many thanks to all for the help on here

i sent off a few emails regarding apartments in the centre of adelaide but i have been really surprised by the price, it is very expensive (i think)

the majority of quotes we have had are around $600 a week which i think is about £300 a week or £1200 a month ! seems a lot for a 2 bed apartment

i was hoping to pay around £600-800 a month which I guess is around $400 a week

is this completely unreasonable ?

as before any help much appreciated

cheers

ed

I think the issue is probably the fact that you need furnished accommodation - they do tend to come up pricier. However, depending on when you are coming, do remember that the "quoted" price is really just a starting price so you can negotiate on the fact that you will be renting for three months, rather than a week or so. An average unfurnished rental probably costs around $300 to $350 a week, as a price comparison, depending on the area.

Diane

Guest ecmiller72

cheers

i have had several quotes today for serviced apartments

all CBD - ish area

all look very nice

however the cheapest rental is $599 a week which is at least $150 more than we have

do you think it would be possible to negotiate down to $450 ?

or is $450 for a central 2 bed apartment just not possible ?

we would really like something central so my wife is close to life and my commute to the waite campus

by the way, thanks for the help to all, this really is a great help to us :)

Guest wannabeausies

Hi Ed,

If you go on the totaltravel.com.au website and click city accomodation there is a motel called Motel 277 at $75 per night inc breakfast, there is a photo of a room with kitchenette and fridge and you may be able to get a long term special rate with them? The write up says that it offers a perfect, quiet location at 132 Conyngham Street right off the noisy Glen Osmond Road in Glenunga, South Australia, offering quality accommodation. Being family owned and run, Motel 277 provides a 'home away from home' atmosphere. Ample off-street parking is available and the motel is only 10 minutes from the Adelaide CBD.

Their website is www.newmotel277.com

The location looks good for where you have described you want to be and access to the city. I offer a home find service for new Uk migrants, so bear me in mind I you make a permanent move here. I am totally impartial and used to be in Real Estate in the UK before emigrating myself. We had a real tough time when we were in the UK to get the Agents in Oz to even reply to us when we were trying to find a rental, so this inspired me!

I now help people find schools, information about the local area and go to viewings on potential properties they wish to rent and I'm honest. It's something to remember in the future if you need any assitance.

Good luck with visit to Adelaide and I hope you find some affordable accomodation.

Clare.

Guest wannabeausies

Ed,

You may also want to log onto www.realestate.com.au and click on holiday rentals and residential lettings around the adelaide city area - sometimes there are some short term residential lets that come avaiable. Alternatively and probably even better try realestateowners.net.au we had a 3 month let with this company when we arrive in Oz - they were very good.

Clare

however the cheapest rental is $599 a week which is at least $150 more than we have

do you think it would be possible to negotiate down to $450 ?

or is $450 for a central 2 bed apartment just not possible ?

Well, I'd give it a try - they do love a bit of haggling out here! If they're renting at say $600 a week, they probably count on occupancy levels of about, say, 70% so for a guarantee of 12 weeks occupancy, I don't think $450 is totally out of the question! (600 x 12 x 70%). Any idea of when you're coming out, as that may well affect prices (Feb/Mar tends to be busy in Adelaide with all the festivals, Clipsal etc)?

Diane

Guest ecmiller72

hi all

thanks for the advice

i tried going back and haggling but they did not seem keen

they suggested $599 is a very good price

i wonder if its because iam enquiring quite early ? in that i dont need it until mid oct

maybe they might be more agreable closer to the time?

trying to work out if better to pay $599 a week for a serviced apartment

or $400-450 for an apartment via one of the rental sites when we will then need to pay for bills, broadband etc on top

Anyone know the best bet ?

Guest Aussie pat

Not sure if this is any help but as a guide re prices...we have booked a 3 month rental at The Grand Apartments in Melbourne St, North Adelaide (Regent Appt group) for $640/week from 20 November this year. 2 beds/4 people. It is difficult to get short term rentals and they usually wanted references, deposits etc when we asked. The serviced option avoids all this. Plus they are usually pretty spiffy. Don't forget to check the Trip Advisor website for feedback. The cost of living has gone up in Adelaide, just like the UK, and anywhere near the CBD is bound to cost more. I know it sounds expensive but we wouldn't be able to get a week's accomodation near a city centre for £320/week for a family of 4 with the same level of accomodation in the UK either.

Guest ecmiller72

thanks for all the feedback

progressed a little

seems we can get a serviced apartment near the CBD for around $600 a week

or a rental for $400 a week (2 beds)

i wonder if anyone has any thoughts on whether the costs are similar given one includes bills and the other doesnt or if the rental would be a better bet ?

we are swaying towards a serviced apartment to save on hassle

has anyone here stayed in any serviced apartments they would recommend ?

Personally, I'd go for the serviced apartment, they are usually pretty new, with new equipment. If anything malfunctions there is usually someone to replace it or fix it that day. You are only going to be here for three months so your gas and electricity could be a couple of hundred on top of the straight rental but I'd go for comfort and less hassle. Having stayed in a serviced apartment in Melbourne I found it very relaxing, could still wash personal clothes etc, but the towels and sheets n stuff got replaced weekly.

Guest ecmiller72

hello

progressed abit more

would aprreciate a little advice if you dont mind

we have been offered a serviced apartment here

City South Apartments - 81 Carrington Street, Adelaide

for $600 a week

does anyone know if this is a good location ? central ? not too noisy ? neighbourhood ?

better still does anyone know if these apartments are nice ? new ?

finally the quote includes telephone but no mention of internet

how do we go about getting internet ? is it possible for 3 months ?

thanks v much in advance

the questions will stop soon i promise

Hi

We actually stayed in the Carrington Street apartments for about two weeks about four years ago. They were fine. Well equipped, comfortable and clean. From memory there was a swimming pool there (but it was unheated when we were there in September and bloomin' freezing!) and a small gym that you could use, as well as secure parking underneath. Ideal location, City within walking distance, few pubs and restaurants around, and not too far to walk to the stop for the Free Bus that goes around the City if you don't feel like walking it. Didn't notice any noisiness or rowdiness, and as a guide, we paid (then) about $100 a night for a two bed apartment.

Incidentally, I had a bit of a browse through holiday rentals on reaestate.com.au and found this one out at West Beach - you'd have to drive or take public transport into the City from there, but as you're going to be here for the summer months, it might be worth a look: http://www.realholidays.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&snf=rbs&c=21707557&header=&ty=&f=0&fmt=&cc=&p=10&s=sa&t=hol&tm=1216724085&id=403188507

or this one (Henley Beach is a nice area) http://www.realholidays.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&snf=rbs&c=21707557&header=&ty=&f=0&fmt=&cc=&p=10&s=sa&t=hol&tm=1216724085&id=402776227

or if one bedroom is enough, there is this one on North Terrace (right in the City) http://www.realholidays.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?snf=rbs&a=o&tm=1216724085&cc=&id=403185251&f=10&fmt=&t=hol&s=sa&c=21707557&p=10&header=&ty=

On the realestate website you can select Rentals, Holidays Rentals, and then search on the suburb of 'Adelaide' - sort the search by 'latest listing' and then save the search, then each time you go on there, you'll see new listings at the top (sorry, this is probably really obvious!)

Diane