Homestead Homes

Guest ali@51

Guest ali@51

well all thats it we took the plunge and bought the land. It is in Salisbury hights and we have been looking round at houses. Anyway we have been to look at homestead homes and they have a design we like and having spoken to them it is within our price range. So this seem good. So dose anyone know anything about them and dose anyone have any advice on self building. Any help/advice would be appriciated as nither of us is exactly practical:confused:. :notworthy:to anyone who understands these things.

ali

Guest marty

All of the spec home builders are as bad as each other if you can afford a little more one of the not so big builders wil do a better job without the problems of the bg boys, they dont care about your home its the $$$$ there after

Guest cunnah10
well all thats it we took the plunge and bought the land. It is in Salisbury hights and we have been looking round at houses. Anyway we have been to look at homestead homes and they have a design we like and having spoken to them it is within our price range. So this seem good. So dose anyone know anything about them and dose anyone have any advice on self building. Any help/advice would be appriciated as nither of us is exactly practical:confused:. :notworthy:to anyone who understands these things.

ali

Well Done guys!!

Didn't take you long!Must admit i would love to be able to do this at some stage!

Salisbury massive (Jo) lives there so i'm sure she will offer any advice she can!

She seems very happy in Salisbury Heights from what i gather!

Good luck with building your brand new home in OZ!

Guest Deb17

Ali, I'm athrob with jealousy...you lucky, lucky people. Think I'm gonna be stuck in rentals for the rest of my life!! I like the Homestead designs too, but aren't they a bit pricey? Which design have you set your heart on? (So I can go and look it up in my as yet unused brochure, sob!)

Deb, the way it used to be here is that the first thing people bought was their block of land, paid the mortgage on that for a few years and then got a topup mortgage to build their house, using the value of the land. Or they bought a unit and did the same. When we came we rented for about three years,then lived with my mum for 18 months to get together a deposit. We only had one income until about 18 months after we bought our house. Something will come up for you.

Guest Deb17

Rachel, it seems to be your raison d'etre lately to try and cheer me up. It is much appreciated, and yes, I do still have a smidgeon of hope for the future. It really gets my goat though; I have JUST about enough for a deposit but not enough money coming IN to pay off a loan, especially not for the exorbitantly high prices land is going for nowadays. We've looked at new estates, but of course, in that situation you have a time restriction put on you to get your house built within a specified time, and finding an affordable block of land without time limits/encumbrances etc. seems virtually impossible at the moment. We looked at a block of land in the Sunday estate 18 months ago, selling for $80,000. One of the last blocks available in that same estate now has an asking price of $185,000 !!! Wish I'd bitten the bullet now and bought it - would've been a hell of an investment!

Guest dempseys

hi ali, why don't you pm my other half (his names mark) he's over there at the mo, homestead are building our home, he's dealt with them through emails and has had no probs, the communication has been great. now he's over there he's been to the office to finalise choices and is really happy with everything.

hope this helps, i'll get him to contact you aswell.

good luck

macky

Guest moonraker1959

I can recall in the 1970's (brother is a brickie)my brother brought a block of land in Modbury Heights for........$200,can you believe that?Thats inflation right?

Guest ali@51
Ali, I'm athrob with jealousy...you lucky, lucky people. Think I'm gonna be stuck in rentals for the rest of my life!! I like the Homestead designs too, but aren't they a bit pricey? Which design have you set your heart on? (So I can go and look it up in my as yet unused brochure, sob!)

Hi Deb

Yes we thought that when we first looked!! but when we looked a bit further we discovered that they have things in as standard that others dont and also they dont charge as much as some for upgrades. Also the finish in the show home seemed to be spot on. We looked round the show house of a builder who shall not be named and they had tried to fix a box to the wall in one of the rooms and got it in the wrong place and shifted it. Only they hadnt filled the original hole!!!!:arghh:and this was in the show house.We have set our hearts on the winyard:D weather we will be able to afford it or not will be a different matter.

Guest ali@51
hi ali, why don't you pm my other half (his names mark) he's over there at the mo, homestead are building our home, he's dealt with them through emails and has had no probs, the communication has been great. now he's over there he's been to the office to finalise choices and is really happy with everything.

hope this helps, i'll get him to contact you aswell.

good luck

macky

Thanks for that will either PM myself or get Morgan to do it lator will be really usefull to have info from someone with first hand experiance.

Guest Tina P

Hi,

As Lyndsey has said we are buildng with Homestead and so far we are happy with them.

We have been told that we will see something happening on the land in the next few weeks so not actually built anything yet but everything seems upto speed so far.

Done all the selections at the head office at Modbury and tiles at Beaumont's in Norwood.

Yes they have a good specification, we are having the Randwick home.

Good luck

Tina

Guest ali@51

Hi Tina it is good to here from someone who is doing it. We have had a good impression of them so far out of the ones we have spoken too. How long has it taken you tho get to this stage? We were told it would take 6months to get to build. Can we PM you if we have any quiries lator on?

thanks ali

Guest Tina P

Hi,

We started the process at the very end of Jan 08, so if they start in a few weeks time 6 months.

Not a problem if you want to PM.

Tina

I built with Homestead in the 90s. Great design, lovely house, but found I had to watch them like a hawk during the building. They reversed the tiny toilet and big bathroom windows, and the electrics for the external lights were initially plumbed through the internal walls! The worst thing was that they wouldn't believe me when I told them. Try to avoid getting too excited on the handover date, and go through things with a fine toothcomb. We didn't, and discovered too late that all the internal doors had a one inch gap at the bottom! Still a great house, but try to maximise the benefit. I think the company is great, but I think the building supervisor was a bit of a cowboy in our case.

Guest Tina P

Hi,

Thanks for the tips Bill, we go now most weekends just to look at our land (sad I know !) and will defo be going to look and check when the build starts, every weekend and during the week daytime when possible.

We built 'off plan' in the uk and had major problems with the site manager and build, I know its different here and so far we have had much more input but I think it's made us more vigilant when the build starts.

Just hope the build starts soon and we are in for Christmas ....:notworthy:

Tina