mawson lake

Guest VINDER

Guest VINDER

Hello:)

Veru curious about Mawson Lakes. We would want to purchase a property and are looking at various areas. Heard about this new area and want to know a bit more about it.

Is it a good neighbourhood? ,safe etc Any idea about the school there, Mawson Lakes Primary School..

And what aboyt Happy Valley and Coromandole Valley...please do advise k beacuse it is extremely hard to judge about things when we are so far away.:arghh: Thank God for this forum and the wonderful people you have here:wubclub:

Vinder Kashmir

Guest ali@51

Hi Vinder, We don't know an aufull lot about Mawson Lakes as it wasnt quite the best area for us location wise. We have however decided to build and have spent quite a lot of time in Mawson lakes the last few weeks looking at show houses. So I will pass my impressions on and hope you find them of use.

As the name sugests it is buit round some lakes. We saw at least 2 large ones that were nicly lanscaped withdecking and paths around the edge. One of them had some sculpter in the center as well. We also saw some smaller ones set amongst the houses.

We did saw appeared to be a small high street their was a woolies. chemists, ?vet, a few reasteraunts and a quite trendy building holding at least 1 cafe.

The housing estates themselfes were very much as the new uk housing estates are . Lots of houses close together on what apeared to be smallish blocks. The only diference was tha their was a wider range of houses.

We assume they are trying to make a more upmarket area her as when you went to look at the show houses they all had a lot of extras put in them. Some of the estates we have been to look at showed the basic house with only a few upgraded Items. All the show houses at mawson lakes had every thing upgrade .

Homestead, Medalion and avjennings are a few of the ones I can remember showing at mawson lakes. Hope that helps

ali

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi Vinder,

I think it's hard to go wrong with the areas you've chosen, but it could be worth thinking about where you think you'll be working as Mawson Lakes is just 10 minutes to the North of the city and is a vibrant lively community, where as Happy Vally and Coromandole Valley are a little further away from the city to the South / South East, I don't know those areas but I believe they are a bit more rural and quieter, but offer more land for your dollar.... I'm sure someone will say what those areas are like...

I don't really understand why anyone would want to go inland or north of Adelaide unless it's where their job is.

Go south to the beaches!

What can I say!!!?? Some of us like trees, woodland, hills..... and of course, some of us don't want to spend hours at a time in our cars, risking speeding tickets on a long commute, dealing with erratic behavior from other drivers on the roads, still trying to get home from work at 5:30 when if we lived somewhere else we'd be home with a glass of wine in our hand by 5:15......

With all due respect Mubley, that is a quite ridiculous comment - everyone's taste is different and not everyone wants to live on the flat plains by the sea, when they can easily get to the beach in 30-odd minutes if they want to from wherever they live!! And of course, even if you like beaches, there are a lot of those both in the north and the west, it's not all south....

I like Mawson Lakes - it has a very cosmopolitan feel to it and there is lots of work around there (70% of manufacturing work is in the north by the way) with a lot of new technology companies and a nice atmosphere. It does have smaller plots, and generally more modern-style housing.

Happy Valley and Coromandel Valley are also nice - green and tree-filled, nice communities, good schools.

It really does depend on where you think you might be working though - for instance, if you are working somewhere north of Adelaide, you may find it quite a run to and from Coro and Happy Valleys - whereas if you are City based, you are probably about 15 minutes away in Mawson Lakes, and maybe 20-25 minutes away in the other two options. Much of a muchness there. What kind of industry will you be working in? Have a look on Google Earth to get a good overview of different places, or give us some more idea of your preferences and I'm sure some of us can offer some more sensible advice!!!

Diane

Guest Rob and Clare
I don't really understand why anyone would want to go inland or north of Adelaide unless it's where their job is.

Go south to the beaches!

You do know the beach runs another 18km past Adelaide, then starts again near two wells....

As for living inland, well they are the best areas, Burnside, Norwood, Tea Tree, Bel Air, Sterling, Bridgewater etc... and it's where the wealthy live...

Guest salisbury massive

Go south to the beaches!

Luckily your understanding of the northern suburbs isn't the question asked. There are many excellent reasons for being North of the City. Perhaps you could be a bit more forthcoming with your reasons why south of the city and the beaches are a good idea !!!!!!!! Perhaps you could offer some information about Happy valley since its "down south" Not all of us want to live by the beach.

Back to Mawson lakes, a relatively new suburb, built around lots of green parks and lake areas. There is plenty of opportunity to walk around and the shopping centre is a nice one. There is a Woolies supermarket, doctor, dentist, pub, cafes, restuarants, bakeries etc. Mawson Lakes interchange is on the edge of Mawson Lakes next to Main North Road. Its a quick bus and train link into the City, you can park and ride from there. The houses are all new and there are quite a few builders on there. Most blocks are small with large houses on them, leaving not much room for gardens. However Mawson Lakes runs on recycled water for the gardens so you can water all the time. There are lots of community things happening including "The Tour Down Under" which has a stage through Mawson Lakes. Delfin the main builder is always doing stuff for the kids.

The school is in my opionion average. I know a few people who live there who have taken their children out and gone private or to other local schools. The link for the school is here . http://www.mawsonlakes.sa.edu.au/MLS_Website/Home.html The school is very open plan and the kids have to walk across the road off the school site to get to the library. The teachers are also called by their first names by the pupils. Its a bit different from what you expect from an english school.There is no state High School but Endeavour College, co-ed & private, fees are around $5,000 a year, here is their website. http://www.endeavour.sa.edu.au/about/welcome.asp

For more info about Mawson Lakes have a look at this link. its the community website

http://www.mawsonlakescommunity.com.au/

I'm not sure of the state High School but I guess it would be Para Hills High School.

http://www.phhs.sa.edu.au/

As I obviously live in the North I have no understanding of why anyone would go south unless they want to live by the beach:) I'm sure someone who lives there will be able to tell you more.

Jo

Guest VINDER

Hello again,

Thank you so much for your replies:)It is always nice to get feedbacks which are constructive

Just to add on, hubby will be working in CBD itself. He is okay about commuting to work as long as there is public transport , for a start.

Our concerned is more for the 2 little gals we have..We want them to be comfortable in their school as we are definitely going to fall into the minority group. I guess, at the end of the day, we jut want what's best for the kids ( as everyone here does ) :cute:

As it looks now, Mawson Lakes is not right for us. Well, will go on looking; hopefully by the time Dec arrives, we will know where we should "land"

Thanks again...

Guest VINDER

Well, it's me again.

:wubclub:

When I said "mawson lakes is not right for us" ..I didnt mean it in a bad sort of way.:) It was just that we had a look at most of the houes advertised and felt that it is a very new township (as mentioned in one of the threads), houses had very modern looking designs and the school is a big "pull"/'push" factor for us....:GEEK:

Maybe, we should start looking at the schools first....:idea: should have thought about that earlier, huh!!!!!!

thanks....

Vinder Kashmir

We're going to Grange...... which is fairly Northern, and the beach is fantastic, but also has the advantage of a 15 min train ride to the City.

So not always necessary to go South for a Beach.

Have to admit, we did luck at Mawson Lakes, and around Hallet Cove too..

Heard some "questionable" things abouth the school at Mawson Lakes, and also that it can suffer from mosquitoes.... but again, not 1st hand experience.

When we drove around Mawson Lakes we really liked it.

Si

Go south to the beaches!

Guest swampo

Having not long come back from a visit to see what areas we would like to be in (neither of us are beach people) we have decided that the north east or eastern suburbs are for us. We like the trees and the larger plots the houses are built on, all of the new ones seem to have an average plot of 400sqm, whereas the older properties are usually 600sqm +, much more house and room for your money. These older areas are more established so you tend to know what you are going to rather than the unknown 'new estates',although I have to say that the houses we saw in Mawson Lakes looked very nice - just a bit cramped. My OH will be working in Gepps Cross so the commute is much better than it would be if we chose 'south'.

It's also nice to be different, we are all not beach junkies, although we do like to visit the beach. If you are willing to travel a bit further into Adelaide there are also some very nice 'villages' up in the hills which are so peaceful and the people very friendly.

At the end of the day it is all down to personal choice and I believe that you know the right place for you when you see it. We are going to rent for at least 6 months before we commit to a property, that way we hope to make the right choice as making the wrong one would be very costly.

Good luck with your move.

Guest caoimhe

Go south to the beaches!

I really don't understand why anyone would want to live by the beach.:confused:

I can travel to the beach at any time while living in Adelaide so therefore would prefer to live along side trees and parks and take advantage of both worlds.

MY OPINION ONLY - have to get this bit in incase offense is taken:biglaugh:

Guest salisbury massive

as we are definitely going to fall into the minority group. I guess, at the end of the day, we jut want what's best for the kids ( as everyone here does ) :cute:

I'm not sure what your "minority group" is but you'll be surprised at how cosmpolitan Adelaide is, there are very large communities of Indians, italians, greeks, somalians and africans here all mixed in with the poms and the aussies. My daughters school in Modbury is very multi cultural. I don't think you need to be worried about that.

Jo

Guest VINDER

:)Hello again,

Well, i guess you are right about me being woried over something which may actually not be an issue after all...what with most places being multicultural.:wubclub:

Vinder Kahsmir:jimlad:

Guest mubley

Apologies if I have offended the "Northerners" and residents of Mawson Lakes. I acknowledge that my short comments were not very helpful.

Obviously I am a "Southerner" and whenever I have analysed and surveyed various locations from a living and traveling viewpoint etc. as well as taking opinions for others I have always been drawn back to the lovely coastal areas of the Fleurieu Peninsula.

Everyone to his own.

I really don't understand why anyone would want to live by the beach.:confused:

I can travel to the beach at any time while living in Adelaide so therefore would prefer to live along side trees and parks and take advantage of both worlds.

MY OPINION ONLY - have to get this bit in incase offense is taken:biglaugh:

This sums up one persons look into Adelaide in contrast to another:).They dont understand why people want to live by a beach..........I wouldnt live anywhere else. Ive been brought up living by a beach, and the sea has got a 'draw' for me.:).

And IMO opinion the best place in Adelaide to live .................is on the esplanade at Port Noarlunga........................the best beach in suburban Adelaide. Unfortunately bit out of range.

Guest caoimhe
This sums up one persons look into Adelaide in contrast to another:).They dont understand why people want to live by a beach..........I wouldnt live anywhere else. Ive been brought up living by a beach, and the sea has got a 'draw' for me.:).

And IMO opinion the best place in Adelaide to live .................is on the esplanade at Port Noarlunga........................the best beach in suburban Adelaide. Unfortunately bit out of range.

If we were all the same it would be a boring world (and forum) :jiggy:

Guest Aussie pat

Given that many of us are moving, or have moved, from places with higher population densities than Adelaide, wouldn't it be awful if we all wanted to live in the same suburb. Just imagine how crowded things would be. It's great that we have a choice of areas and that everyone has a different view of where they'd prefer to live.

Guest dvdkb

We have lived in Mawson Lakes for 18mths. It wasnt meant to be for that long, but we got carried away with the easy living in a lovely rental house, in a quiet cul-de-sac, in a suburb close to work, school and the city! Finally got off our backsides and bought a house in Salisbury Heights last week. We would have happily bought in Mawson Lakes if we could have (a) bought our rental or (b) found any 4bed with more that 800sqm (which is pretty non-existent!).

We are one of the families that moved our kids from the local school. It wasnt for me. I wanted the kids to go to a more traditional church school. However, I will be sending the kids to Endeavour in Mawson Lakes when they reach high school age.

Anyway, I think if you are looking to live 'up north' in a modern, cafe-culture suburb with decent sized houses on small blocks, then Mawson Lakes is pretty good.

Vera..

p.s. Anyone interested in a 4bed unfurnished rental from end August to end December, let me know...