Trying hard not to be pessimistic!!

Guest alan smallman

Guest alan smallman

Hi all.

How 'bout this then - our estate agent has closed down!!!!! So we've had to negotiate with another to go on their books. Marvellous! Maybe a change is as good as a rest. We haven't proceeded with our visa application (it's a 457) yet either in case that comes through before we can sell the house. We're trying hard to keep the faith and not be pessimistic but (as you all know) it's bloody hard. Thought about renting it out but that's not really an option for us. The other opton would be for one of us to come over on our own. Does anyone know or have an idea of the realistic costs of renting a 1-bed furnished place near the city? It'd be just me and my bike!!

Just kicking it about to see what the options might be. Thanks again for any feedback you might be able to provide.

Alan

these things are sent to try us, maybe it will be good to have some fresh blood marketing your house. fingers crossed.

I am trying to remember a site I came across, think it may be gum tree?? but there were people offering a rent a room or to stay in the house whilst working away on contracts. may be worth a look if your dont mind living with someone else. It would be cheaper I guess!

Carole

Guest alan smallman

Hi Carol

Many Thanks for your words of support and encouragement. I'll look up the site you mentioned. Interested to see you have rented your house out. How do you feel about it- it being your home (strangers in it and will they look after etc etc etc)? Do you feel confident about doing so? Have you gone through an agency to rent it out? How long is their rental?

Thanks again.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Carol

Many Thanks for your words of support and encouragement. I'll look up the site you mentioned. Interested to see you have rented your house out. How do you feel about it- it being your home (strangers in it and will they look after etc etc etc)? Do you feel confident about doing so? Have you gone through an agency to rent it out? How long is their rental?

Thanks again.

Cheer

Alan

Hi Alan. Already done a very long reply to this but it pinged me out before sending.

so new shortened version............

Not happy about having to rent out the house which I have owned for 14 years and done a lot of improvements, so I am emotionally attached to it and hate the thought of someone being in it and worst still not looking after it.

The rental company inspect the property every 3 months though and charge 10% for the management fee. They have 6 monthly rental agreements.

Not got any tennants yet but it has only just gone on the market for rent and we were advised not to advertise too early. We have about 7 weeks before we leave.

We have to be in oz before Feb 09, so decided to use our savings to finance one trip only with a view to settling permanently. Hopefully, by the time we settle, house prices will have recovered and we can sell and buy a nice property in Australia.

Lots of decisions to make, also it has been further complicated by my bosses not wanting me to leave and offering me a very attractive remuneration package

A lot of members on this site are in similar positions to you and I. Is Rental defo not

an option to you?

thanks for your concerns which are mine too!

Carole :wubclub:

Hi all.

How 'bout this then - our estate agent has closed down!!!!! So we've had to negotiate with another to go on their books. Marvellous! Maybe a change is as good as a rest. We haven't proceeded with our visa application (it's a 457) yet either in case that comes through before we can sell the house. We're trying hard to keep the faith and not be pessimistic but (as you all know) it's bloody hard. Thought about renting it out but that's not really an option for us. The other opton would be for one of us to come over on our own. Does anyone know or have an idea of the realistic costs of renting a 1-bed furnished place near the city? It'd be just me and my bike!!

Just kicking it about to see what the options might be. Thanks again for any feedback you might be able to provide.

Alan

Hi Alan

Me again!!!

Just tried looking for that gum tree site..... nearly died when a dating agency thing came up...arghh what have i done!!

Anyway, type in google.... adelaide.gumtree.com.au and this gets to the right one

Carole:jiggy:

Guest alan smallman

hi Carole

I think you've summed up our feelings about our place. we thought renting was an option (if only someone would be interested). although we haven't contacted an agent yet, we are going to arrange a meeting with one maybe this week to look into the ins and outs. Have an estate agent coming round this friday to give us a quote to sell the house and a sale figure. Here's the thing, a guy Pauline works with is going thru a divorce and is looking to set up a love nest with his new girlfriend (to get away from her BIG ex-partner and his missus). he offered me a decent sum to rent our place which fell short of covering the rent and he doesn't want to go thru an agent as he doesn't have two months money to put down. I did the sums and it would be tight but we could do it BUT................................that's without having ready access to cash for tickets, containers fees, 2 months rent/bond when we get over to Adelaide.

The other thing is that, if it was mis-used, we thought maybe prospective buyers wouldn't see it as it is now - in pristine condition (without smelling of dog - which might put some people off, or possibly stained curtains). i know we are getting a little too anal about it all, and maybe we should just look at it as a property we own rather than thinking it's our home. It does sound as though we can't be that depserate to get out of the UK - we are but It's so bloody difficult isn't it?

Hours spent on making it a home and thus inevitably becoming attached definately clouds your judgement doesn't it?

We think you are really brave, and we hope that it all works out for you. Please let us know how you go on.